Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/28/2001 12:46:51 PM EDT
Went and rented an XM177,with an 11 1/2" barrel,today.It was awesome,I'd rented an MP5 last week and thought that was the bomb.To me anyway,the MP5 was more controllable I could keep all my rounds on target.The CAR 15 went everywhere,I could shoot two round burst easily but when I did three round bursts the third round was nowhere near the group.Any suggestions on keeping a tighter group,I held the CAR tight and leaned into it.Amigo.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 1:50:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/28/2001 1:47:47 PM EDT by shaggy]
Suggestions? 1. Stop paying ridiculous prices to rent one. You're in MD, you can pay ridiculous prices and your own (C'mon, you know you want to!). Seriously, all that renting adds up; you can get a nice starter NFA gun like a M11 for under $1100. Thats probably about the cost of several times at the range renting that MP5. 2. The CAR/M16 just takes practice. Even then, its not like shooting an Uzi or MP5; there's more recoil and if you don't limit yourself to a short burst, you're just wasting ammo.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 4:35:45 PM EDT
Whoo Hooo I finally get to point out that Shaggy made a mistake in his advice. Any ammunition expended in fun is/was/never will be wasted. Ha Ha prove that wrong Shaggy my friend. Sure the MP5 is controllable but you will find that all the cops are dropping the things like sick flies cause when that 9mm bullet gets to the target the peuney thing can't do anything. Short barreled M16s or some wierd new caliber is all the rage no days.
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 4:45:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 5:47:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/28/2001 8:02:33 PM EDT
I ...but the...I...ummm...well.. Ok, you got me. Even if you don't hit the target, burning ammo in long bursts in full auto is fun...a LOT of fun. Probably the most fun a person can have with their pants on. And Frank pegged me perfectly; it only gets worse with a beltfed or something with real high capacity like an American 180. I don't even know why there's sights on that thing. I just start hosing down and walk the stream of bullets over to the target. SOmetimes I'll write my name in the dirt with the stream of bullets. Its not exactly an effective use of ammo, but damn its FUN!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2001 9:03:17 AM EDT
Well David, I have to take issue with your statement that 'all the cops are dropping MP5's like sick flies cause when that 9mm bullet gets to the target the peuney (sic) thing can't do anything'. The two biggest reasons entry teams are going to .223's are these: 1. Bad guys who wear body armor. 2. Rounds such as the Hornady 40-grain TAP in .223 seem to penetrate less through common building materials, meaning less hazards to folks in neighboring houses or apartments. 9mm out of an MP5 is actually pretty potent medicine, especially with +P or +P+ ammunition. Many of the teams who went to .223 are finding that they have to use suppressors on their short-barreled .223's because the muzzle blast is simply horrible inside a building. Our entry guys declined to go to .223 for that very reason. They use 9mm MP5's with standard-velocity 124-grain ammo, and it has yet to fail to put down a target, including a number of very pissed-off pitbulls. And yes, ammunition expended in fun can be wasted, if in expending that ammo you reinforce bad habits. You'd be better off to have not shot at all than to have expended a bunch of AR mags in uncontrolled 30-round bursts.
Top Top