Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:01:56 AM EDT
got a new cabellas store here in WA, so I went down there to check out the store.. found some .308 for a reasonable price so I grabbed 6 boxes.. at the checkout, the guy behind me butts in  

"wow ... you got enough ammo for the next 10 hunting seasons"  

6 boxes.. jeesh.  fudds.  

I shoulda said "yep, I got me an AK and I like to shoot them deer up good"..
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing surprises me with their, "shoot 5 bullets a year" mentallity.  They're more dangerous than any other people at my range.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you were a hunter you would have enough ammo for the next ten seasons.  What about his <attempting to be friendly> statement was factually incorrect?  

Good luck eating those dirt clods and paper targets.

It's amazing how quick some shooters are to put down another shooter because they don't fit their image of what a shooter should be.  Isn't this the same type of behavior we criticize the anti's for?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:12:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Funny how Fudds are the first to mouth off - but statistically the most irresponsible gun owners given the number of negligent firearms accidents every hunting season. I trust the average black rifle owner more then your typical drunk Bubba with a .30-30
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Well was it hunting ammo or just blasting ammo?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I still have a box and a half of .243 ammo, I figure 1 deer per round, I am good to go for the next 20 years at least.

Seriously, I dont shoot my .243 except during rifle season, and I have not even gone this season.

I hardly shoot my ARs any mor,e range tim eis hard tog et for me these days.

Guess I am worse than a fudd.

I bide my time until tow deer are lined up, and I can take them both with one shot.

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It's amazing how quick some shooters are to put down another shooter because they don't fit their image of what a shooter should be.  Isn't this the same type of behavior we criticize the anti's for?

Sounds to me like the OP is doing exactly that. Throwing around the F word because another guy has different shooting habits than he does.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
got a new cabellas store here in WA, so I went down there to check out the store.. found some .308 for a reasonable price so I grabbed 6 boxes.. at the checkout, the guy behind me butts in  

6 boxes.. jeesh.  fudds.  

I just roll my eyes and walk away.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe if you would get off your elitist high horse and actually talk to these people you so quickly label Fudds, you might find you have more in common than you shudder to think.
Nothing like being a prick to win hearts and minds.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Funny how Fudds are the first to mouth off - but statistically the most irresponsible gun owners given the number of negligent firearms accidents every hunting season. I trust the average black rifle owner more then your typical drunk Bubba with a .30-30

Nice to perpetuate the stereotypes put forth by people such as the Brady Campaign.  Are you a member?  [>://

I see three threads out of 25 (including tacked threads) on the first page with the word "Fudd" in the title.  I see NO threads disparaging black rifle shooters posted by hunters--sorry, Fudds, to you.  I guess maybe the hunters ("Fudds" sorry) aren't really the ones mouthing off.  

Typically there are several hundred thousand hunters in the field during deer season in each state.  An accident or two is regrettable, but not beyond the limits of probability.  It's too bad hunters can't attain your level of ninja-like skills.

Every year, several people get shot in my state by retards who shouldn't be out hunting. The facts speak for themselves. Most hunters are responsible - but that doesn't account for all the dead dogs, dead cows, and occasional homicide by some moron who has a license and his boomstick.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I always think it's nice to have someone try to talk to me about shooting.  So I typically say something about needing to be practiced.  Most archery hunters don't take much convincing but some hunters need some help.  If they have a gun chances are they can see the light.  Some hunters are on the edge of being liberal.  On a hunting forum I post on one of the guys admitted he's voting for her thighness, Hitlery Clinton, because of health care.  

I don't think pushing those guys over to the other side is a good idea.  We need them to understand and help our cause.  If we insult them forget it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

6 boxes.. jeesh.  fudds.  

That's too bad.  Many of the hunters people call "fudds" are excellent sportsman, and could embarrass many of the "elite" black rifle shooters.  Many of them were introduced to hunting through their families and friends at an early age.  If someone actually took the time to introduce them to the fun that can be had sport shooting, they may find they enjoy shooting outside the hunting season.

Between deer (archery, shotgun, and black powder), pheasant, duck, rabbit, and turkey seasons, I easily shoot my hunting firearms more than my sport rifles.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, IME, that is correct. At the local ranges I'm a member at, the dumbasses who shoot through the ceilings and over the berms are the Once-a-Year Fudds, the same ones that scowl at any gun that isn't visibly designed to kill deer.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Actually Colorado has seen their hunting firearm accident rate continue to fall for the last 20 years.
If you want to see a high number of fatalities & accidents, take up skiing.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

6 boxes.. jeesh.  fudds.  

That's too bad.  Many of the hunters people call "fudds" are excellent sportsman, and could embarrass many of the "elite" black rifle shooters.  Many of them were introduced to hunting through their families and friends at an early age.  If someone actually took the time to introduce them to the fun that can be had sport shooting, they may find they enjoy shooting outside the hunting season.

Between deer (archery, shotgun, and black powder), pheasant, duck, rabbit, and turkey seasons, I easily shoot my hunting firearms more than my sport rifles.  

A Fudd is somebody to whom a gun is only useful as a tool, and any use of it for pure enjoyment of shooting is considered wasteful.

A Fudd is also the same man who would throw YOU and your EBR under a political bus as long as he thereby retains the privilege of hunting with a 12 ga. or a 30-30. He doesn't care about anybody else's rights but his.

EBR owners' general attitude towards guns is: the more the merrier.

The Fudd's attitude: If you can't hunt with it, you shouldn't have it.

There's the difference.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

6 boxes.. jeesh.  fudds.  

So every time I go pick up a new EBR and I get the snears and stares treatment is just a coincidence?  I mind my own fucking business and I go out of my way to do so I certainly don't initiate conversation with them yet they certainly go out of thier way to be irritating.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you were a hunter you would have enough ammo for the next ten seasons.  What about his <attempting to be friendly> statement was factually incorrect?  

My idea of a Fudd is a guy who digs his rifle out of the closet or attic once a year to go "hunting".  I know several people like this.

They are not "shooters".  They couldn't give a crap about gun rights, self defense, homeland defense or any other legitimate reason for owning and training with a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I got the same treatment not to long ago....

Order you ammo through the web.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yup, but don't tell Beekeeper.  He's in the state of De Nile.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice to perpetuate the stereotypes put forth by people such as the Brady Campaign.  Are you a member?  [>://

I see three threads out of 25 (including tacked threads) on the first page with the word "Fudd" in the title.  I see NO threads disparaging black rifle shooters posted by hunters--sorry, Fudds, to you.  I guess maybe the hunters ("Fudds" sorry) aren't really the ones mouthing off.  

Typically there are several hundred thousand hunters in the field during deer season in each state.  An accident or two is regrettable, but not beyond the limits of probability.  It's too bad hunters can't attain your level of ninja-like skills.

Maybe because the Fudds have shown us no fraternity.  Have sold us out and GENERALLY, are the unsafe gun owners, who give ALL gun owners a bad name.  I've seen more unsafe gun handling by Fudds than EBR owners.  I do not go to the public ranges during hunting season, because I am assured that a Fudd will pick up his rifle, bench it and begin loading up before I'm back from hanging my fresh targets.

But keep apologizing for the Fudds who do nothing to promote shooting sports.  "Just as long as they don't take my 30/30."
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Divide and Conquer
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Some of you sound like jerks.  Someone talking about shooting is at least someone talking about shooting!  If you chat with them, you will find you have more in common than you might think.  Heck, I love when people talk to me when they see me buying ammo or inquiring about a state license.  One clerk always says to me "that another box for the zombies?" and I say "yeah" and we chit-chat.  

I'm down on the elitists.  We all started somehow.  You just might turn someone on to a new hobby.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My idea of a Fudd is a guy who digs his rifle out of the closet or attic once a year to go "hunting".  I know several people like this.

They are not "shooters".  They couldn't give a crap about gun rights, self defense, homeland defense or any other legitimate reason for owning and training with a rifle.

Insulting them certainly isn't going to win them over.   I know plenty of people who only own, and use, guns for hunting.  None of them actively assault gun rights.  They don't care either way, which is almost as bad.  Some of these I've managed to get interested in sport shooting by inviting them along to shoot at the range, or skeet/trap.  

You're right.  Many of them don't "give a crap" anymore than many black rifle owners "give a crap" about hunting.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe because the Fudds have shown us no fraternity.  Have sold us out and GENERALLY, are the unsafe gun owners, who give ALL gun owners a bad name.  I've seen more unsafe gun handling by Fudds than EBR owners.  I do not go to the public ranges during hunting season, because I am assured that a Fudd will pick up his rifle, bench it and begin loading up before I'm back from hanging my fresh targets.

But keep apologizing for the Fudds who do nothing to promote shooting sports.  "Just as long as they don't take my 30/30."

Look at the UK NRA for just how "like us" the Fudds can be.   Sold out from the word "go."
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm not sure if I should be offended or agree with the OP's post.

I'm not sure if I'm a Fudd or super tactic-cool EBR owner.

I own a M4'gery, several pistols, hunting rifles and shotguns.

I practice CQB drills with my AR, pistols and shotguns at least once a month and I practice with the AR out to 300 yards with irons. I also break out the hunting rifles and do some longer range work a few times a year.

I hunt deer, elk and game birds.

In all honesty I don't put a lot of rounds down range with my hunting rifles, once I know how a particular load performs at various distances I don't mess with them much. I will check my zero at the start of hunting season but after that if I pull the trigger it's because I'm taking game. This year I pulled the trigger 7 times on my 7mm Rem: 3 rounds to check zero, three mule deer and one white tail DRT at ranges from 60 yards to 270 yards.

As gun owners we should be constantly working to bring this community together as a single entity not divide into sub groups like Deer hunters, Bird hunters, EBR owners. The Anti's love nothing better than to see us fighting amongst each other....the whole "Divide and Conquer" thing ya know.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

*Sigh*

If you own and enjoy a M4gery you are NOT a Fudd.

Hunting, or owning a hunting rifle, doesn't make you a Fudd.  Similarly, owning an M4gery doesn't make you "Tacticool".

Both of those terms are specific derisions against specific groups of people.

It seems like people want to label themselves "Fudd" just to be victim for a day.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

*Sigh*

If you own and enjoy a M4gery you are NOT a Fudd.

Hunting, or owning a hunting rifle, doesn't make you a Fudd.  Similarly, owning an M4gery doesn't make you "Tacticool".

Both of those terms are specific derisions against specific groups of people.

It seems like people want to label themselves "Fudd" "EBR owner" just to be victim for a day.

It works both ways.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+1

Maybe you could have responded with "Yeah, they should last me a little while.  I do a lot of casual shooting at the local range."

Just because they don't partake in the exact same things you do doesn't mean that they are against it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Aww, come on. There are some offensive, ignorant fudds out there, but it sounds like this guy was just trying to make some conversation. Why not try to give him a little friendly education instead of assuming the worst? You never know, we might get a new convert to our cause.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I always think it's nice to have someone try to talk to me about shooting.  So I typically say something about needing to be practiced.  Most archery hunters don't take much convincing but some hunters need some help.  If they have a gun chances are they can see the light.  Some hunters are on the edge of being liberal.  On a hunting forum I post on one of the guys admitted he's voting for her thighness, Hitlery Clinton, because of health care.  

I don't think pushing those guys over to the other side is a good idea.  We need them to understand and help our cause.  If we insult them forget it.

This is correct. My first reaction was why don't people mind their own damn business...
but my experiences with anyone commenting on ammo have been positive.
I would have said something like "Naw, day at the range, plinking/target practice. Gotta stay sharp!" and he probably would have wanted to talk guns next.

I don't mind really. As I'm 31 and considerably younger than those I typically find this situation occurring with, I really don't want to come off like a dickhead. Good neighbor policy, mutual respect, a little light convo... it doesn't hurt.  Anything like this you can turn into a positive, in our hobby has the potential to reverberate.

Hypothetical - I was in a shop in a small town, happened to have a Bushmaster AR.  I was fondling it a little, didn't buy it, but lets suppose I did. And lets suppose there were a handful of the local "regular customers" in there, fudds all. One of them gives me that ol' classic "Whatcha need one of them fer?"

I could either, be a nice guy, maybe tell him why I like the system and why they're fun for target shooting... Or I could be a dickhead, give a dickheaded response, pay and walk out.

As soon as the question hits I'm thinking - what will they say when I walk out?
"We need to ban them goddamn things from them dickheads!"  OR
"That guy was pretty cool, maybe I oughta look into one of them there"

See how I want that to go, and why?  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Aww, come on. There are some offensive, ignorant fudds out there, but it sounds like this guy was just trying to make some conversation. Why not try to give him a little friendly education instead of assuming the worst? You never know, we might get a new convert to our cause.

When confronted about such things I often say "I shoot a lot, practice makes perfect right?"

Although it does wear you down, I get tired of having to defend my self to another "gun-owner" who's concept of firearm ownership is armature at best.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

6 boxes.. jeesh.  fudds.  

I can understand your thought, but what did you really say?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Factually incorrect or not, most of the time, like much greater than 90%, when someone comments about how much ammo I'm buying, it isn't "friendly."
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Factually incorrect or not, most of the time, like much greater than 90%, when someone comments about how much ammo I'm buying, it isn't "friendly."

I keep reading this thread like I'm a darn glutton for punishment or something.

In my years of buying guns and ammo, I've never had a negative or nasty remark.  I get nothing but good vibes.  I've bought at local gun stores, Dick's, Gander, even Wally World.  I also buy moderate amounts of ammo at a time.  Never had any attitude other than "glad to have your business."  And i don't buy a few boxes at a time.  I have a stockpile of cases so I buy a few cases whenever there is a great sale.

*edited for clarity of communication
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, technically he was right. That really is enough ammo for 10 hunting seasons.

Lighten up, dude.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my years of buying guns and ammo, I've never had a negative or nasty remark.  I get nothing but good vibes.  I've bought at local gun stores, Dick's, Gander, even Wally World.  I also buy moderate amounts of ammo at a time.  Never had any attitude other than "glad to have your business."  And i don't buy a few boxes at a time.  I have a stockpile of cases so I buy a few cases whenever there is a great sale.

I've bought ammo in each of seven different states I've lived in. And I have yet to not get a negative comment. Someone always has to be a smartass and tell me that I don't need that much ammo.

I've used the practice line as well, only to be told I'm a lousy shot.

I was running free and clear in VA, until I was at a Wally Word buying .223 for an upcoming class. The lady behind the counter was great. The old bastard behind me was not. He said something to the effect of ".223 huh? That's the kind of ammo the D.C. sniper used." Combined with this tone of voice, it was obvious what he meant by it.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#40]
IWBFTLOCK (way before)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I've bought ammo in each of seven different states I've lived in. And I have yet to not get a negative comment. Someone always has to be a smartass and tell me that I don't need that much ammo.

I was running free and clear in VA, until I was at a Wally Word buying .223 for an upcoming class. The lady behind the counter was great. The old bastard behind me was not. He said something to the effect of ".223 huh? That's the kind of ammo the D.C. sniper used." Combined with this tone of voice, it was obvious what he meant by it.

Wow that's rough man.  May I ask, is there possibly something in your carriage or appearance that provokes a certain type of response?  You seem to be getting universally stereotyped.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should have said, "Yup, and I drove here in a Ford, the same kind that kills all those people in car wrecks."
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow that's rough man.  May I ask, is there possibly something in your carriage or appearance that provokes a certain type of response?  You seem to be getting universally stereotyped.

I'm military, so I'm clean cut in serviceable clothing. If it's cold or raining out, I usually have my jacket with my old ship's crest on it. Other than being in my early 30s (and back to my early to mid 20s), which some old guys may think is too young, I don't know of any reason to be stereotyped. In fact, 90% of the time, I have my wife with me. So it's not even like I'm a loner.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:57:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

6 boxes.. jeesh.  fudds.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You should have said, "Yup, and I drove here in a Ford, the same kind that kills all those people in car wrecks."

My best comeback, I think I got from this board at one time.

Someone said something to the effect of "that's enough ammo, donchathink? What are you going to do, start a war?"

To which I responded "No, but I want to be able to finish one."

I really wish I could take credit, but I think I got that from here at one point.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Way to show people you're not a dick!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

+1.

If he'd said "Gee... planning a school shooting?" or other inflammatory comment, then I might label him a fudd. It sounds like he was just being chatty.

My definition of "fudd" (as enumerated in other threads ad nauseum) is a gun owner who hunts, and who believes (and often loudly intones) that EBR's have no place outside the military or LE community, and that anyone who owns one is a criminal, terrorist or militia wackjob.

Are all hunters fudds? I hope note, since I hunt. That said, while all hunters aren't fudds, all fudds tend to be hunters. However, it's not a necessity. What about the shotty snobs? They don't care for EBR's either, and would sell us out in a heartbeat, but they may or may not hunt things other than clay pigeons. In addition, I suppose there are some bolt action F class shooters who think EBR guys are yahoos as well.

As long as he's not being an outright ass, why not be friendly? If we automatically assume a hostile intent (in the presence of non hostile language) then we play right into brady's hands.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Well, technically he was right. That really is enough ammo for 30 hunting seasons.

Lighten up, dude.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Now that's a hostile comment, and can be responded to in kind.

Response 1: "The DC sniper? <heh> He was a pussy... now Oswald... Whitman...they were snipers..."

Response 2: "Oh, really? They really didn't research their ammo choice well if they were using this stuff..."

Response 3: "Well, this is a little different than the ammo I used when I was with (insert macho brag here: SEAL, Force Recon, Rangers, whatever. It doesn't really matter - after all, it's just some gun counter jabberneck), but I still like to keep up my skills."

If asked who/when/where you served by asshat just give a belittling look and walk away without saying a word.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that's a hostile comment, and can be responded to in kind.

Response 1: "The DC sniper? <heh> He was a pussy... now Oswald... Whitman...they were snipers..."

Response 2: "Oh, really? They really didn't research their ammo choice well if they were using this stuff..."

Response 3: "Well, this is a little different than the ammo I used when I was with (insert macho brag here: SEAL, Force Recon, Rangers, whatever. It doesn't really matter - after all, it's just some gun counter jabberneck), but I still like to keep up my skills."

If asked who/when/where you served by asshat just give a belittling look and walk away without saying a word.

"Give me your name so I can add you to my list, motherfucker."

This would've been a nice comment, too, especially if said deadpan with no emotion.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top