Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2016 4:01:34 PM EDT
Hi all,

I'm sure this is a story similar to one you've heard before, but my father in law had a water leak in the closet where his old Gamester 760 in 30-06 was stored. It has some pretty good rust on the barrel, looks like light pitting, and some built up rush on the receiver. It's unloaded and the bolt is back, but I can't get the action, safety, release, trigger, anything to move. My guess is it's a bit bound up internally.

The wood is in really good shape, and the Weaver scope that was on top seems to work. I'm in the process of cleaning that to see if it's still usable.

He brought it to me to find out if there's anything that can be done to fix or salvage it. It was his first deer rifle, and I think he may want to pass it on to my son someday. I called Remington and they said not only did they not want to look at it, but I should go find my own gunsmith, they have no recommendations for me.  So here I am, looking for somebody in or around DFW or willing to accept it shipped who would be able to take a look at it and see if it's worth saving. I'll try and get some pictures if that helps.

Appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Remove stocks, soak in penetrating oil to loosen parts.  Have Cerakote of ur favorite color
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You may need to pull the trigger UNLOADED of course it could be engaged
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
lots of rust, inside and out??

take the wood off, and put it in a reverse electrolysis bath.  that should remove all the rust from everything, and make it almost like new again. . that will basically be free to do. then refinish it if needed.

cerakote refinish should cost you like  $150 bucks . ( if no springs etc need replacing ).
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:09:14 PM EDT
[#4]
You soak tools in vinegar to remove rust.  I assume this removes bluing, as well?  Is this how one would strip an old rusted receiver down if you were going to refinish it? Or do you use something stronger?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

take the wood off, and put it in a reverse electrolysis bath.  that should remove all the rust from everything, and make it almost like new again. . that will basically be free to do. then refinish it if needed.

cerakote refinish should cost you like  $150 bucks . ( if no springs etc need replacing ).
View Quote

Best bet is to do this. Electrolysis will take care of the rust, then send it to a gunsmith to tear down and cerakote and clean/oil it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Best bet is to do this. Electrolysis will take care of the rust, then send it to a gunsmith to tear down and cerakote and clean/oil it.
View Quote
I'd also have them inspect it for safe operation.  Just because it looks pretty doesn't mean it won't blow up in his face.  It's probably nothing and just surface stuff if it's been discovered recently......but if it's already in the shop....it can't hurt.

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

medium amount of rust inside and out. How do I set up a reverse electrolysis bath? I'm pretty handy but have not ever done anything like that before. I have a refinish guy all ready for it, too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The miracle known as liquid evaporust is what you seek.
I soak parts in it all the time, leave any metal parts in the solution for a day or two, and a plastic scrub brush will get the rest.
It's even non toxic.
You can buy it online and ship it to your address.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

medium amount of rust inside and out. How do I set up a reverse electrolysis bath? I'm pretty handy but have not ever done anything like that before. I have a refinish guy all ready for it, too.
View Quote

There are lots of tutorials out there. You can just use an old wall wort or charger for your power source, you don't have to get an auto battery charger or anything if you don't have one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#10]
McClelland Gun Shop Dallas.  I was in there years ago w/ my BIL and it seemed like the real deal.  Don't live in N Texas or I would have a more recent recommendation.

And I would not do too much until you show it to them.  

I would also talk to Ford's in Florida http://fordsguns.com/
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#11]
McClellend's in East Dallas or Ray's in N Oak Cliff.  Be prepared to wait.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Remove stocks, soak in penetrating oil to loosen parts.  Have Cerakote of ur favorite color
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/16/2016 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The miracle known as liquid evaporust is what you seek.
I soak parts in it all the time, leave any metal parts in the solution for a day or two, and a plastic scrub brush will get the rest.
It's even non toxic.
You can buy it online and ship it to your address.
View Quote

Yep and if you don't want to wait lots of retailers have it.  Harbor Freight, Advance Auto, Oreilly's, hell I think even walmart carries it now.

Here's a handy tool for finding it in your AO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top