Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:39:59 PM EST
I had a few minutes between appointments yesterday so I decided to stop at the local range/gun shop. I don't know about your gun shops, but none of the ones around here have any decent IWB holsters, EVER. All the holsters I see are garbage and very uncomfortable. Over the years I have tried many IWB holsters, plus I have read lots of stuff on holsters from a lot of good gun forums, so I think I am pretty knowledgeable about IWB holsters.

Anyway, there was a guy there looking at holsters who had just got his CCW permit, and he asked the guys there what they recommended for a good IWB holster. They of course sold him some POS they sell to everybody, and off the new CCW guy went. I followed him out and had a little chat with him and recommended a few holsters to check out on line. I didn't want to do it in front of the guys who worked at the range, out of respect to their business and I didn't want to appear to be showing them up.

So here lies my frustration. By selling POS holsters that are uncomfortable, I would venture to guess that some people who get their CCW try the holster out for a while, find it too uncomfortable, and ultimately end up not carrying. One less armed good guy out and about with his carry gun everyday. This was the case with me early on in my carry days, I bought a few crappy holsters that were shown to me and ended up not carrying very often because after a few hours it was just too uncomfortable.

This is not an official rant, so please don't rate me on the 1 to 10 scale.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:22:18 PM EST
how do you know the holster they were selling were really a pos?

some may have thought that of the cheap looking thin galco holster I got but it works great and feels great just leave a little bit of a imprint, dont knock it till you try it. trial and error im sure most people who carry will end up with.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:37:29 PM EST
I remember while I was waiting for my CHL paperwork to clear, I did some holster shopping at a few local joints. I had each place recommend something different than the last and they were all cheap, so I bought 3. They were an Uncle Mike's nylon "sock" with a plastic clip for IWB, a Fobus OWB holster that the guy said would "ride high" (It didn't even fit.) and hide under a t-shirt , and some junk "leather" thing (Can't remember the maker). I spent a lot of money and time looking for one that work for me at the time, and ended up finding it on eBay! (Mitch Rosen ARG)

Finding the "perfect" holster is something different for each person. I got lucky and took everyone on here's advice and went with an MTAC for my Glock 19. I got super lucky, because I absolutely LOVE IT! All in all, not buying the "perfect" holster right from the start didn't deter me from carrying. I just kept searching until I found the one that worked.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:41:00 PM EST
I don't know about you, but in my CCW class my instructor had a huge box of holsters, and made a point to ask those of use more experienced to share what we thought were decent holsters with those who were less inclined to have heard of them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:44:48 PM EST

I've bought the DeSantis Pro Stealth IWB holster and have been happy ever since, no complaints.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:59:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 9:06:56 PM EST by bloodsport2885]
Gun shops sell crap holsters for two reasons:

Most of their customers buying holster are cops who need an OWB holster because they don't have to conceal
and
Most newbies with a CCW permit buy cheap. You see this in the types of guns and accessories they buy. For the most part, they don't see it as an investment or even as a practical way to defend themselves. It gets tossed under a seat in a car and forgotten or, like you said, its tossed in a drawer and forgotten.

People who are devoted to carrying a gun eventually learn from other shooters and sometimes cops what works and what doesn't. It takes a while and by the time all the part-timers drop out there are only a few who buy quality holsters to carry every day. By then we are savvy enough not to buy a $15 holster made of plastic that jabs and flips, and have discovered the wealth of internet dealers with vastly superior products.

Like many in the gun industry, they simply prey on the uneducated. And the uneducated buy cheap until they wise up.

The best way to fix it is to introduce people to this site and tell them to look through the carry forum and to look at different types of holsters. It not a steadfast rule, but many of the members have carried a gun for a while and have gone through the teething of buying cheap holsters that have drawn blood or simply suck. Its cheaper to learn from other people's mistakes.
Top Top