Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 10:51:24 AM EDT
I have a couple dozen oysters I got a few weeks ago, they were live and I could not eat them all so I put them in the freezer.  Is it safe to thaw them out and eat them raw or should I bake them or just throw them out?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Throw them out!

Oysters should be eaten only shortly after being shucked.

They won't be any good, and have the risk of being spoiled.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Answers To Commonly Asked Questions About Oysters

Each year during oyster season, the Maryland Seafood Marketing Program receives many
questions from consumers concerning the purchase, storage, preparation and nutrition of oysters.
Listed here are some of the most commonly asked questions:

Q.   Can I freeze fresh shucked oysters?  How about oysters in the shell?

A.   Shucked oysters freeze, make sure all the oysters are immersed in liquor to prevent
freezer burn, leave
    Ç inch head space and freeze.  You may have to add water to completely cover the oysters.
Label the
    contents of the package, date and freeze.  Even though shucked frozen oysters have a  3 - 6
month
    storage life, plan to use them as soon as you can.  Shell oysters may also be frozen.  Place the
oysters in
    a freezer bag, exhaust air and seal.  Label and date contents, freeze.  The oysters are best used
in soups
    and stews or cooked dishes.  Storage life is about 3 months.

I would not attempt to eat a previously frozen oyster raw.  Not that I'd be worried about it making me ill (if it was frozen fresh) but because taste and texture will be off.  Cooked - no problem.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#3]
If you froze them in the shell, they're garbage.

You can freeze freshly shucked oysters safely, though I don't know what it would do to the flavor.  I guess if you were frying them they might be edible.

ETA:  They might be OK in the shell, but do not eat them raw.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top