Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2004 11:02:44 AM EDT
Which one is better for keeping meat for a long term, let's say a year, without getting freezer burn?  The frost free freezers don't get the buildup and are much easier to use but obviously they are pulling moisture out of the air which means it will also be pulling the moisture out of the meat.  Does it pull enough moisture out to be a problem?  Right now the manual defrost freezers are on clearance at Lowes.  I'm hoping to need one after deer season starts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Frost free freezers aren't suitable for long term storage, the general recommendation is an upper limit of 90 days, conventional freezers can store up to 1 year if the item is properly wrapped and sealed.  There are several reasons for the difference, one is the constant circulation of air in frost free and also the temperature fluctuations when the freezer goes thru it's regular defrost cycle, conventional freezers maintain a much more stable temperature.

I spent over 25 years in the appliance business, so I am quite familiar with the subject.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top