Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/31/2004 10:02:44 AM EST
Which one is better for keeping meat for a long term, let's say a year, without getting freezer burn? The frost free freezers don't get the buildup and are much easier to use but obviously they are pulling moisture out of the air which means it will also be pulling the moisture out of the meat. Does it pull enough moisture out to be a problem? Right now the manual defrost freezers are on clearance at Lowes. I'm hoping to need one after deer season starts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:11:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 10:12:44 AM EST by Wingman26]
Frost free freezers aren't suitable for long term storage, the general recommendation is an upper limit of 90 days, conventional freezers can store up to 1 year if the item is properly wrapped and sealed. There are several reasons for the difference, one is the constant circulation of air in frost free and also the temperature fluctuations when the freezer goes thru it's regular defrost cycle, conventional freezers maintain a much more stable temperature.

I spent over 25 years in the appliance business, so I am quite familiar with the subject.
Top Top