Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2016 3:57:55 PM EST
Our pets have fleas again and apparently they have developed a resistance to Frontline, which we have successfully used until now.

What is ARFCOM using these days to control fleas?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:58:59 PM EST
I can confirm Frontline (and flea baths) dont really work for mine either.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:00:55 PM EST
Rise of the Super Flea!

We have three dogs and one cat that will also attest to Frontline's diminished effectiveness in recent years. Time to tweak that formula.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:01:53 PM EST
Comfortis or capstar.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:02:41 PM EST
I am having a hell of a time killing fleas this year. We got a new kitten that was apparently infested with some super fleas. We have given her several flea baths, sprays, and lots of drops. Nothing is working and my other cats now have fleas.

We had been using Advantage Multi with great success until now.

I have given the cats multiple doses (hasn't harmed them yet luckily) and fumigated the house with several different types of bug and flea fumigators, sprays, foggers etc.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:04:16 PM EST
I use the Seresto flea collar. It's pricy but works very well.

My dog didn't tolerate topical flea medicine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:04:37 PM EST
I've been using Frontline for probably 15 or 20 years.

This year I said screw it and went without any flea treatment.

Nary a flea on my buttlickers.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:05:07 PM EST
We use Advantix on our dog.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:05:07 PM EST
Used it for 20 years with great results until this year. Vet warned me this spring it was losing effectiveness. Flea infestation from hell for nearly 2 months in my house with 2 dogs and 2 cats. Cats are on Revolution now and dogs are on Nestguard chewables along with flooding my house repeatedly with several poisons we are now flea free again. New stuff is really expensive!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:11:27 PM EST

This is what i would recommend. By far ain't the cheapest stuff around but sure as hell works.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:13:10 PM EST
Indoor or outdoor pets?  I tried everything inside the house once, never made much progress.  The dog always laid in a sunny spot in the yard, I dusted that area with powder and finally started winning.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:43:45 PM EST
It's been a battle, he's still scratching a little bit. Not sure if it's just reflex of if the fleas are still hanging on.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:48:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 4:48:54 PM EST by Nootropics]
I get permethrin from tractor supply and mix it 50/50 with flea shampoo and wash my dog with it after the fleas are present. Shit works like a charm, safe for humans and dogs, no bueno on cats.

Edited to add I think it has a good week or more of residual effectiveness.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:52:54 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 7BoSoX7:
http://www.1800petmeds.com/images/products/420/11191_420.jpg

This is what i would recommend. By far ain't the cheapest stuff around but sure as hell works.
View Quote

We use ComboGuard, which I think is the same stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:56:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 5:31:01 PM EST by Lucifer_Sam]
Revolution stopped working for fleas here. Started using Capistar to kill the actual fleas followed by Revolution to kill the larva and such.

EDIT--they are applied at seperate times, with at least a 3 day break between
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:57:24 PM EST
My wife and I get Revolution from our vet and it really works for our two cats.

Fleas are nasty little critters aren't they?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 4:58:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 5:00:29 PM EST by cinco1]
Guys be wary of the topical solutions.  In addtion, please do NOT combine flea shampoo with immediate topical or oral pill treatment.  You WILL poison them.

On to my dog's story...

Vet suggested a different topical (can't recall the brand but it had yellow packaging and smelled like eucalyptis tree and threw it all away).  

Years ago my Lab experienced a right side facial paralysis - almost like a mini stroke - within a day of topical application.  Thank God she recovered, but she still had a droopy right side mouth till her death 6 years later.  Did some research after the fact and yep it is quite common.

I've got basically a big ol' 3 acre fenced off pasture/dog park.  Dumped ANY flea treatment - topical or pill - and not ONE flea.  Only "chemicals" I intentionally give them are Interceptor Plus heartworm.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:04:56 PM EST
Oh Jeez, we battle fleas from hell all summer. It got so bad we had to quarantine the rooms one by one. We taped over the heater vents because we thought they were coming from the strays that like to be under the trailer. Plugged all the holes under the trailer. Sprayed the yard at least three times with various chemicals. Washed the 2 cats and 2 dogs with dishwashing liquid every day for a week. Used the flea comb 5 times a day, with 45-60 fleas caught each time. Tried frontline, tried Permethrin spray, tried capstar but eh sumbitches were relentless. Shampooed the carpets of the affected rooms weekly with thousands of dead fleas. It was brutal. I got tagged dozens of times because I was going in the rooms to spray and lay down DE. DE doesn't work. I put a flea in a jar of DE and the sumbitch lived for days! The cold weather has finally stopped them but we are still living in the living room with the vents taped over. I have been shooting at every cat I see outside with my daughter's red ryder BB gun. I have set a rat trap at the only entrance under the house, and it's snapped on a cat twice. We have never had a flea problem ever before. I have a sprayer filled with a probably illegal mixture of the nastiest shit I could buy and I am going to hit the yard in a few weeks and then hit it weekly during spring.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:06:10 PM EST
Comfortis....
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:10:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By aquaman67:

View Quote

Seresto is working great for us.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:21:58 PM EST
It's a group 2 on the pesticide mode of action (moa) chart. You need to switch to something with a different chemical class.

http://www.irac-online.org/modes-of-action/

I had the same problem this year. We went to K9 Advantix II with imidacloprid (group 4) this year to wipe them out. Get used to the idea of changing brands every month or some. Pesticide resistance is a fact now.

We have to rotate chemicals in the greenhouse because the insects (like bacteria) is learning to adapt to the common treatments.

I had an infestation of thrips last year that were resistant to 5 different chemical classes, not 5 different chemicals, FIVE DIFFERENT CHEMICAL CLASSES!!! We finally found one that worked then instituted other practices to wipe out those genetics.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:25:44 PM EST
I give my dog trifexis. Costs $125 for 6 months. Prevents fleas and heartworms. You can probably get it cheaper I get hers from the vet. She hasn't had any fleas since I got her a year ago.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:26:27 PM EST

View Quote

This is what we went to after frontline wasn't working on my dog. It's not that much more expensive since it takes care of heart worms and fleas in one pill.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:30:00 PM EST
Spray the property with Lambda or Karate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:30:11 PM EST
I use advantage. When I got my new pal from the pound they said they had used top spot on him. He still had fleas. Advantage killed them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:46:08 PM EST
Diatomaceous Earth. Sprinkle it on carpets, wait 24 hours, vacuum it up. Dust the dogs, wait 2-3 days, bathe them in regular shampoo. First treatment gets repeated in a week, then repeat once a month or so. Almost completely flea free household, with four dogs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:08:49 PM EST

View Quote

Me too. Zero fleas and ticks within 48hrs of putting the collar on.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:11:16 PM EST
Shaved my cat.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:12:10 PM EST
Originally Posted By RikWriter:
We use Advantix on our dog.
View Quote

Good stuff if you don't have Pet Cats. Can kill them if they should lick the dog.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:12:37 PM EST

View Quote

+1

for some reason our last two vets have always had rebates around this time of year. we buy it for the year. for 4 dogs i think it was $700ish with $200 in mail in rebates rebates. one year it was buy 12 months get 18 months worth of pills. it is good shit never had flea issues.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:16:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By CarolinaPanthers:
I give my dog trifexis. Costs $125 for 6 months. Prevents fleas and heartworms. You can probably get it cheaper I get hers from the vet. She hasn't had any fleas since I got her a year ago.
View Quote

There are many, many, many horror stories out there from Trifexis. I know one personally.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:21:41 PM EST

View Quote

This right here is what we use for our corgi.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:25:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By psegnatelli:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By psegnatelli:

Same here. 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 6:29:03 PM EST
We've had dogs in an outside pen for over 20 years. Never any flea issues and only some years did we have to put a flea color on them. This year was different. They were eating up the dogs almost before we knew it. We have one dog allergic to fleas and his hair falls out and his skin gets dry/scaly/flaky. They really bother him. I tried the flea collars, I tried the flea sprays (on the dog and the ones meant for their dog houses/rugs, etc.) and we tried the flea shampoos. Nothing worked.

We found some collars called Seresto at a local pet store (about $65 each) that were supposed to be good for up to 8 months. I bought one for the allergic dog first and in a few days we weren't seeing fleas on him anymore. I bought one for the other dog then and they haven't had flea issues since. That was in late June/early July. They're expensive, but they work. We'll be buying another pair of them in February or March.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:39:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By Pepper45:
Diatomaceous Earth. Sprinkle it on carpets, wait 24 hours, vacuum it up. Dust the dogs, wait 2-3 days, bathe them in regular shampoo. First treatment gets repeated in a week, then repeat once a month or so. Almost completely flea free household, with four dogs.
View Quote

Came here to post this. DE is the bomb.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:44:51 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:55:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 7:57:35 PM EST by mcantu]
Revolution is pretty damn amazing without pouring insecticide on your pets skin.  I put some on my cat a few years ago and within 24 hours there were 200 dead fleas in his sleeping area.  He had cancer at the time and his immune system was taking a beating.  The vet said that using a 'normal' flea treatment would have killed him
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 7:55:45 PM EST
A friend of mine uses Cypher WP mixed with some growth hormone and doesn't have any problem with bugs period.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:06:04 PM EST
I get Nexgard from the vet every six months at the same time that I get his heart worm meds, it's expensive, but it works.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:15:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By sasquatch98:

This is what we went to after frontline wasn't working on my dog. It's not that much more expensive since it takes care of heart worms and fleas in one pill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sasquatch98:

I switched to that after my dog got a couple flea infestations while on the topical medications. I switched this summer to Bravecto, which also covers ticks, and is only given every 3 months. You then need separate heartworm medication.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:22:18 PM EST
Fuck putting pesticides in my dogs bloodstream.

I've used the Best Yet spray made by Cedarcide for years with great results. Added bonus, it's also safe to use on me, and works for mosquito's also. Have to apply it weekly, but it's worth it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:23:43 PM EST
I started giving my cat advantage II this summer and it gave him seizures. Scared the crap out of me.

Bathed him thoroughly to get off any extra residue and they tapered off pretty quickly.

Dursban does a hell of a job as an outside flea spray. But I think it was determined to be a carcinogen and banned.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:28:28 PM EST
Bravecto on my pups for the past 18 months. Works like a charm. On both fleas and ticks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:29:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
I've been using Bravecto on my 2.
View Quote

Same here , good luck so far 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:30:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By slims_88:
Fuck putting pesticides in my dogs bloodstream.

I've used the Best Yet spray made by Cedarcide for years with great results. Added bonus, it's also safe to use on me, and works for mosquito's also. Have to apply it weekly, but it's worth it.
View Quote

What are you giving your dog to prevent heartworm?
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:30:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By 80FL:
I've been using Frontline for probably 15 or 20 years.

This year I said screw it and went without any flea treatment.

Nary a flea on my buttlickers.
View Quote

Sounds like StopSign Antivirus.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:31:32 PM EST
Chickens are the answer. No bugs, ticks or fleas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:32:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 9:34:11 PM EST by deliverator]
Another vote for Seresto collars. Had them on all three dogs last few years, no fleas or ticks. More cost effective than monthly treatments--50 bucks or so for a collar that lasts 8 months (I throw the collars away in December and buy new ones in April.) No messy oils, just a thin rubbery collar that doesn't smell and doesn't cause any irritation.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:35:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/19/2016 9:43:07 PM EST by Dr-G]
Bravecto

Three month protection in an oral pill.

Merck makes Tri-Heart, which is a generic Heartgard (same drugs) and they offer combined rebates when you get 12 months of Tr-Heart and 2 or 4 doses of Bravecto at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:35:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By wareagleA5:
I get Nexgard from the vet every six months at the same time that I get his heart worm meds, it's expensive, but it works.
View Quote

Same. Pro heart and Nexguard kicks butt.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 9:42:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By AR167:

Same. Pro heart and Nexguard kicks butt.
View Quote

You're losing intestinal parasite protection with ProHeart.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top