Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 10:10:54 AM EDT
DUESSELDORF, Germany (Reuters) - A German court on Thursday convicted a businessman of insulting Islam by printing the word "Koran" on toilet paper and offering it to mosques.
ADVERTISEMENT

The 61-year-old man, identified only as Manfred van H., was given a one-year jail sentence, suspended for five years, and ordered to complete 300 hours of community service, a district court in the western German town of Luedinghausen ruled.

The conviction comes after a Danish newspaper printed cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammad -- sparking violent protests around the world from Muslims who saw the images as sacrilegious and an attack on their beliefs.

Manfred van H. printed out sheets of toilet paper bearing the word "Koran" shortly after a group of Muslims carried out a series of bomb attacks in London in July 2005. He sent the paper to German television stations, magazines and some 15 mosques.

Prosecutors said that in an accompanying letter Manfred van H. called Islam's holy book a "cookbook for terrorists."

He also offered his toilet paper for sale on the Internet at a price of 4 euros ($4.76) per roll, saying the proceeds would go toward a "memorial to all the victims of Islamic terrorism."

The maximum sentence for insulting religious beliefs under the German criminal code is three years in prison.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#1]
unfuckingbelievable
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I love the First Amendment.  I'm glad we fortunates in the US are in a position to see such court actions as barbaric.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]
This has only been posted 3 or 4 times already.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#4]
OOOPS! wrong thread! Carry on!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Re: SYSTEM MESSAGE

I was concerned that I would be brought up on charges there for a second.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#6]
...Shaking my head....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Woody
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Germany is a lot closer to Iranian nuke missiles so appeasement appeals to them more.  Since Germany supplied Iran with a lot of their uranium refining hdwe they have a good idea of Iran's actual capabilities.

rj
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#10]
This does'nt seem absurd to me at all. A lot of people are scared shitless of Muslims and extremism. They want to go back to 9-10. Appeasing is the next best thing. Most people just dont have the stones to realise the truth and prepare for the next logical step. In our super pussified western world is it any wonder? But eventually we will reach a point of "no return" where we either will win or we will lose. Until that day i'm just biding my time......................................
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Alrighty then, was thinking led sign
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:17:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This does'nt seem absurd to me at all. A lot of people are scared shitless of Muslims and extremism. They want to go back to 9-10. Appeasing is the next best thing. Most people just dont have the stones to realise the truth and prepare for the next logical step. In our super pussified western world is it any wonder? But eventually we will reach a point of "no return" where we either will win or we will lose. Until that day i'm just biding my time......................................

Your are correct, and that's what makes it so absurd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top