Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2004 7:53:13 AM EDT

www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=6325890

Sinead O'Connor Pleads for Privacy -- in an Ad

Fri Sep 24, 2004 07:02 AM ET

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Maverick Irish pop star Sinead O'Connor asked the media to leave her alone on Friday -- by taking out a full-page advert in a national newspaper.

The shaven-headed star, who said last year she was retiring from the music business, was responding to an article written earlier this week about her "latest wacky" campaign to rid the country of head lice.

"I have been the whipping post of Ireland's media for 20 years," wrote O'Connor, who once said she was a lesbian, married a man shortly afterwards, and unleashed a flood of criticism when she ripped up a photo of the Pope on television.

"And what have I done to deserve these lashings? I have not behaved the way a woman is supposed to behave," she said in the advert, which runs to more than 2,000 words. "If ye think I am so ridiculous why do ye give me any attention?"

O'Connor said she used her singing as a way to cope with a traumatic childhood and abusive mother and appealed for people's understanding.

"Before God let me swear to you that if I or any of us were to tell you what we went through this country would cry for a month. To know that my brothers and sister survived, makes me proud of us all."

O'Connor, ordained as a priest by the leader of a quasi-Catholic religious sect in Ireland, said she wanted to be left alone to "sing and work and try to just do some good in this world."

"Please, I just want to be a little old lady now, and not be all controversial and not be bashed and called crazy and laughed at when I open my mouth to sing or speak."
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Sinead O'Connor:

"Please, I just want to be a little old lady now, and not be all controversial and not be bashed and called crazy and laughed at when I open my mouth to sing or speak."

Then maybe she should THINK before she opens her mouth to sing or speak.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Exactly. Amazing what thinking can do for you.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:45:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no problems with her request to be left alone by the media.

As long as she knows how to STFU and go away.  You can't request to be left alone by the media, and then keep flapping your gums about inane shit every week.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Exactly. Amazing what thinking can do for you.

It usually gets me in trouble!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Poorly crafted attempt at media attention.  There must be a new album on the horizon...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#6]
What an attention whore.

Someone stick it in her pooper and post pics.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#7]
What else did she do besides rip up a picture of the Pope?  Oh, yeah.  she refused to let them play the national anthem at a public venue.  I think it was while she was on tour or something.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have no problems with her request to be left alone by the media.

As long as she knows how to STFU and go away.  You can't request to be left alone by the media, and then keep flapping your gums about inane shit every week.

+1

And she's a poster child for why some people absolutely "NEED" psychotherapy.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#9]

bitch.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top