BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2007 7:28:14 PM EDT
3 charged in bomb try at Williams
By Joe Dwinell
Senior Executive City Editor/ Web
http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=195910

Saturday, April 21, 2007 - Updated: 01:04 PM EST

Three freshmen at Williams College out to shock the school face felony charges for reportedly attempting to detonate a homemade bomb on campus less than a day before the massacre at Virginia Tech.

A dean at the prestigious western Massachusetts college alerted parents yesterday in an e-mail lamenting the bomb scare. Police said if the explosive device had worked early Sunday, the campus would have been rocked.

“At this particularly sensitive time, I thought I’d take the risk of over-reporting,” Dean Nancy Roseman wrote in a stern e-mail obtained by the Herald.

“We all long for the time when such things don’t jangle our nerves quite so much,” she added in the missive sent home to parents.

Williamstown police Sgt. Scott McGowen told the Herald the three 19-year-old males each face charges of possession of an infernal machine - a felony - and disorderly conduct. The names of the three students will not be made public until Monday, McGowen added.

Police were called at 12:42 a.m. Sunday to a practice field at the bucolic campus, where they spotted the explosive device, McGowen said.

“They failed to detonate it, thankfully,” McGowen said, adding that if the bomb had gone off it would have resulted in a loud explosion but probably no injuries.

An investigation assisted by state police and FBI led to the charges against the three freshmen, who face “sanctions” from the college, the dean said.

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Some 2-liter+Drano device?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Well that was stupid.

Hope they enjoy the jail time if it really was a "explosive".

Milk and chlorine doesnt count.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#3]
"infernal machine"  HA! They need to update their language. I'd laugh if I was on the jury. Not because they were blowing something up, but because there would be someone talking about an "infernal machine". An infernal machine is what my grandpa calls a lawnmower that won't start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top