Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2005 5:35:30 PM EDT
I wonder when the 12 hour shifts are comming.

NYPD Steps Up Security On SubwaysActing On 'Credible Threat' To Subway System

By Marcus Solis

(New York -WABC, October 6, 2005) - The New York City police are responding to what they are considering a credible threat to the subway system. Mayor Michael Bloomberg appeared at a news conference alongside Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly in which they announced a bombing threat and said it was the most specific they had ever received to date.

Bloomberg says the FBI has shared the information with city officials, and is asking the public to be vigilant.
What makes this information of concern to the city? The mayor described it as more specific as to target and to timing than past intelligence. He said some of the sources involved had "more information that would lead one to believe that it's not the kind of thing that appears in the intelligence community every day."

The mayor says that the city has not, until now, ever had a specific threat to the New York City subway system.

Reporters asked if there have been arrests in Iraq or here in New York related to the investigation and the reported threats. FBI officials refused to comment on any arrests. Mayor Bloomberg said there have been no arrests here in New York and no one has been detained here in relation to the threats.

New York City remains at alert level Orange, the second highest level on the Homeland Security scale. It has been so since September 11, 2001.

An FBI official at the news conference said that FBI agents and other personnel are working around the clock to address the threat and said, "The encouraging news is that classified operations have partially disrupted this threat."

Asked by a reporter whether people should feel safe to take the subway, Police Commissioner Ray Kelley said that those who do ride it will see the increased security, and have to look at the information available and decide for themselves.

Mayor Bloomberg said "I've looked at the information and I'm going to take the subway."

One source says that the intelligence may be 85 percent credible. Apparently the word that the subway system is a target came after a raid between an FBI/CIA team in Iraq. Because police have not been able to discount that threat they are taking it seriously and have deployed additional resources.

At the 96th Street subway station there are bag checks in place and Eyewitness News is told that various officers from a number of different units have been told to report to staging areas where they are awaiting further instructions.

An estimated 4.5 million passengers ride the New York subway on an average weekday. The system has more than 468 subway stations.

(Copyright 2005 WABC-TV)

abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=3512313
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
When you guys go 12hr shifts for stuff like this do you make OT, or is their some lame emergency clause that the city can invoke to make you all work the hours at straight time?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
When you guys go 12hr shifts for stuff like this do you make OT, or is their some lame emergency clause that the city can invoke to make you all work the hours at straight time?

O/T
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wish I could get some of that O/T $$$

They had the Ave X guys at Avenue X station.  No trains near you?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, much like court on our days off, every turd has it's silver lining.  OT.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I feel for you guys.

I converse with a friend of mine who is one of yours, she tells me the horror stories about how you get scheduled for court/range/etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top