Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 9:12:25 AM EDT
www.theithacajournal.com/news/stories/20041016/opinion/1422714.html

Apparently theres one reader out there who is upset that in a PA schoolroom mock election, gun control was the critical issue that swung the election........

edited to add: rebuttal sent..I'll see if they print my letter.
For those of you from outside the area and not familiar with our area Townships, Cayuga Heights where this guy resides  is mostly an enclave of fairly well-to-do people.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:21:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Secondary issues

I recently came across an article in another newspaper detailing mock presidential elections held in several high schools in northcentral Pennsylvania that I found fairly disturbing. It seems that these mock elections, involving some young people who will actually be old enough to vote in November, turned on virtually a single issue: gun control.

In a time of enormous fiscal deficits, foreign conflict, environmental fears and fundamental disagreements about where our country is heading, there are apparently young people coming out of school who nevertheless believe that the defining issue in this election is gun control.

And to think that many of us are worried about the intelligence of the president -- until we manage to educate all of our citizens adequately on how to prioritize the inevitable conflicts that our political system is designed to deal with, we can't expect our elections to be anything more than a crude expression of the combined ignorance of a substantially uneducated public.

I can't imagine anyone, regardless of their views on gun control or any of the other secondary issues that have often seemed to dominate this campaign, who can be happy with the current situation.

John Young

Cayuga Heights

First of all this Ass-nut calls it a SECONDARY ISSUE. When are the sheeple going to WAKE THE FUCK UP and realize it is a PRIMARY issue? Gun ownership is sacred ground and assholes are walking all over it. At least these kids 'GET IT' Even though the article doesnt say which way the MOCK ELECTION turned you can read between the lines.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#2]
theres hope for us yet...
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
theres hope for us yet...

Indeed! I'm surprised (pleasantly), actually!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top