Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/18/2003 6:46:40 PM EDT
If you can't think for yourself, you'll probably be 'offended'.
But for an analytical look from several different sources, it's a great piece.
Anyone else see it??

www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/religion/

"This FRONTLINE series is an intellectual and visual guide to the new and controversial historical evidence which challenges familiar assumptions about the life of Jesus and the epic rise of Christianity.

For an overview of the series read the Synopsis. It includes links to some of the stories and material on this web site which expand the narrative.

This site is anchored by the testimony of New Testament theologians, archaeologists and historians who serve as both critics and storytellers. They address dozens of key issues, disagreements and critical problems relating to Jesus' life and the evolution of Christianity. Throughout the site, maps, charts (for example, the fortress of Masada), ancient texts (including Perpetua's diary), pictures of the archaeological discoveries, ancient imagery, and audio excerpts from the television program complement and illuminate the scholars' commentary.

A new addition to this site is the edited transcript of a two-day symposium at Harvard University. This symposium was a follow-up to the FRONTLINE broadcast and featured scholars' presentations, workshops and audience discussion. "

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:01:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:07:44 PM EDT
Darn it Eric, I swear you live here ! [;)] You beat me to it - I don't think I would trust any analysis of the life of Christ coming out of Harvard - maybe 200 years ago, but not today - especially framed as 'challenging' familiar 'assumptions'. This sounds like that group that gets together every year and votes on whether Jesus actually said the things the Bible says he did - and every year they come up with a different list...go figure
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:13:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2003 7:46:01 PM EDT by Boom_Stick]
Originally Posted By Only_Hits_Count: "This FRONTLINE series is an intellectual..... .....Harvard University.
View Quote
[red][b]Romans 1:[/b]19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. 21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 [b]Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools...[/b][/red](NIV) Nuff said for me. The secular intellectual’s are THE LAST people (if that) I would consult about Biblical issues. That’s like going to a gun-grabber for advise on guns.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:17:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:18:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:36:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EricTheHun: If I need to find out any Truth about the [b]Lord Jesus Christ[/b], the very last place on earth that I would look for it would be at a two-day symposium of scholars and experts held at Harvard University. Especially since they wish to 'challenge' the familiar assumptions about the Life of Christ and the Rise of Christianity. I may watch it for sport, though. The maps are always good....[:D] Eric The(Fundamentalist)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
I can tell you seem genuinely fearful of any input that doesn’t not conform [b]exactly[/b] to [b]your[/b] version of the entire history of all of creation and every creature that ever graced the earth. That must be a heavy weight to bear.... Most xtians are ignorant of even the most rudimentary history of religion and the church. It's heresy to suggest that the church persecuted or killed people. Or that it suppressed science and discovery. Or that popes were often nothing more then jbt's with scores of illegitimate children. I'm just promoting discussion. I'm at least willing to listen to all three sides of a story. It must be nice to be able ignore scientific and historical facts when they don't fit your arguement.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:39:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:04:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:09:40 PM EDT
Screw the scriptural references. I wouldn't buy a hot dog on the say-so of any or all operating units of "Public" broadcasting. If they said my wife had good pu55%, I'd insist that three friends and four random hobos sample it and report back to me before I took any action.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:12:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2003 8:14:56 PM EDT by Boom_Stick]
Eric, dont let secular intellectuals under your skin . Let the word do it's job! (2 Timothy 3:16) [:D] [red][b]Romans 1[/b]:19 [b]since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, [i][blue]so that men are without excuse.[/b][/i][/blue] 21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools...[/red](NIV)
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:38:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:45:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:04:58 PM EDT
revisionist history by people with a name to be made. Tell me how many of the "New Testament theologians, archaeologists and historians" wrote papers or commentarys that are widely respected. Oh, and let me guess, someone there will say that Mary was Jesus wife
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:12:17 PM EDT
It wasn't [b]just[/b] a party of Harvard pointy heads. That was the point. I don’t know how you missed it. They examined the period from several view points. (Yes, Eric they had Jews too.) If Americans are ignorant concerning their last 200 years, what makes you think they ever [b]really[/b] examined anything going back 2000+ years and written in several foreign' languages????? It can be refreshing to hear an objective review of available facts. Not the spouting of someone following blind faith. You assume it was an anti-xtian presentation.
Posted by Eric the Hun 'Xtians'? That sounds hopelessly ignorant!
View Quote
I’m not stooping to name calling like you are. I can disagree, but still be civil. ‘The word "Christmas" means "Mass of Christ," later shortened to "Christ-Mass." The even shorter form "Xmas" - first used in Europe in the 1500s - is derived from the Greek alphabet, in which X is the first letter of Christ's name: Xristos, therefore "X-Mass." Today we know that Christ was not born on the 25th of December. The date was chosen to coincide with the pagan Roman celebrations honouring Saturnus (the harvest god) and Mithras (the ancient god of light), a form of sun worship. These celebrations came on or just after the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year in the northern hemisphere, to announce that winter is not forever, that life continues, and an invitation to stay in good spirit” I thought the xmas / xtian thing had been covered here several times before.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:15:37 PM EDT
Eric- lighten up---- are you saying there is no room for any discussion??? Was Jesus from Nazareth, or from Bethlehem?? Did Jesus ever visit North America??? Just questions man…. relax. The world won’t tilt off it’s axis if you discuss things… Does God have a sense of humor??? Was “Oh God” ( parts 1 &2) sacrilegious??
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:18:38 PM EDT
I take back some of my previous post, they people in the bio's section do not sound as bad as the fools in the "jesus seminar" but they don't sound as conservative as i would like, that is for sure.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:26:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:26:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:37:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:05:29 PM EDT
The show(s) in question help to flesh out and humanize the actors in the script. Why did the Jews include the gentiles in their religion?? Could it have been because they needed all the Gentile 'converts' (to combat the Romans?)??? There just seems to be a large gulf between the beliefs of "Jews" and Xtians. They only teach the cleaned up glossy version in sunday school. But closed minded people like you Eric, make rational discussions difficult. You turn people off to religion- despite what you may think you're accomplishing.... Last time, I believe you alluded to me being a graffiti sparying nazi. Fuck you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:19:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:30:37 PM EDT
Eric, you’re incapable of rational discussion on this subject. You run off of pure emotion (faith)- ignoring/summarily dismissing, or attempting to explain away anything that might dare to cast your views in a less then positive light. Your entire contribution consists of ”God said it, I believe it, that settles it” It’s really stating to reflect poorly on you.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:45:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:52:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:00:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:31:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER: This is like hunting over bait.
View Quote
I know- but I was trying to be nice to him.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:50:34 PM EDT
Just to review; Points you have sidestepped: OHC: It's heresy to suggest that the church persecuted or killed people. Or that it suppressed science and discovery. Or that popes were often nothing more then jbt's with scores of illegitimate children. I'm just promoting discussion. I'm at least willing to listen to all three sides of a story. It must be nice to be able ignore scientific and historical facts when they don't fit your arguement. Hun- History is history, not heresy. If some men did wrong, it only underscores our religion's firm belief that 'all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God OHC: of course-- your answer to anything bad is :"men did it" and anything good- " God Did it" A rather simplistic 'arguement' *** Hun: "Xtians'? That sounds hopelessly ignorant!" ..... "No, your use of the term, 'xtians', shows me more than enough to figure that a discussion with someone of your honesty and integrity would be like tinkling in the wind.." OHC:The word "Christmas" means "Mass of Christ," later shortened to "Christ-Mass." The even shorter form "Xmas" - first used in Europe in the 1500s - is derived from the Greek alphabet, in which X is the first letter of Christ's name: Xristos, therefore "X-Mass." (Hence Xtians.) Today we know that Christ was not born on the 25th of December. The date was chosen to coincide with the pagan Roman celebrations honouring Saturnus (the harvest god) and Mithras (the ancient god of light), a form of sun worship. These celebrations came on or just after the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year in the northern hemisphere, to announce that winter is not forever, that life continues, and an invitation to stay in good spirit” I thought the xmas / xtian thing had been covered here several times before. *** OHC: Why did the Jews include the gentiles in their religion?? Hun: What do you mean? There was more of a gulf between the Jews and all Gentiles that would make the gulf between blacks and whites today look like a lovefest! OHC-don’t change the subject- I was asking for an answer, not a diversion. OHC: Could it have been because they needed all the Gentile 'converts' (to combat the Romans?)??? HUN: No, not at all. The Jews then, as today, are not looking for converts. They rarely accepted converts then, any more than they do today. -Could you then explain the relation ship between Peter, Paul, The Jews, The Romans and the Gentiles??? No one was attacking anyone's beliefs in the show I was referring to- you got your back up over nothing at all....I wonder why you do protest so much..... You overreact and attack anyone that poses a simple question.
Top Top