Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 12:01:59 AM EST
Just out of curiousity, can you frog-fish (not spear). What kind of bait can you use? Will frogs eat Powerbait? Thanks.

Digital
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:18:02 AM EST
I saw it done with standard fly fishing gear on an outdoors show a long time ago. It was too easy! The trick was to get behind the frog with a long rod and dangle the fly in front of it without the shadow of the rod or yourself getting near the frog.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:26:26 AM EST
I doubt they'll be able to see me. My girlfriend's apt has a 2nd story balcony which hangs over the edge of a huge pond. The last few nights frogs have been gathering below her balcony and eating/making tons of noise. I figure it'd be fun to try to catch a couple

Digital
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:39:52 AM EST
This isn't BS. Frogs go crazy over the color red. Take a small 1/4" square or smaller piece of bright red cloth or plastic (bag) and put a hook through it. Then dangle in front of the frogs face. They will gobble it up quick. Use barbless hooks for easy removal.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:28:58 AM EST
Is this AR15.com or HuckleberryFinn.com?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:30:23 AM EST
I prefer a spear....and haven't been since last summer. It's about that time of year.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:41:33 AM EST
If you kill it, eat it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:15:38 AM EST
Hell, I'll eat it. I've eaten a ton of weird stuff already, my girlfriend said she won't eat any though. I'll try the red cloth thing though, thanks C-4
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:40:40 AM EST
When I was a kid we had a pond close by that was full of big bull frogs. We would use spinning rods & reels with big yellow doll flys (1/4 to 1/2 oz). Cast them up on the bank behind the frogs and drag them past the frog real slow. About half the time the frog would inhale the fly. Those dudes put up a pretty good fight when they got in the water.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:49:54 AM EST
We used to sit on the banks of the retention ponds when I was a kid and shoot them with pellet rifles. We'd climb the fence and all the frogs would hit the water. We'd wait until they'd pop their eyes up for a look and then, twack!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:52:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By threefiftynone:
If you kill it, eat it.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about. Frog legs are delicious. I haven't had any in several years, but they are damn good.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:59:09 AM EST
Oh, for one horrible moment I read the topic of this thread as frog fisting...
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:23:27 PM EST
I prefer a .22 rifle with Stingers. They just go "POP" and don't get to jump in/get away.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:54:09 PM EST

Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:

If you kill it, eat it.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about. Frog legs are delicious. I haven't had any in several years, but they are damn good.

You can also eat the back meat from Bull Frogs and Quail. We dont waste nuthin!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:02:44 PM EST
I used to go frog fishing as a little kid. We used night crawlers as bait. Our hook was made out of stiff wire that was shaped like a hook. It wasn't sharp and it never pierced the frog. The frog would just swallow the thing and you pull up on the pole. We caught frogs that were in the damn bushes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:22:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By legrue:
Oh, for one horrible moment I read the topic of this thread as frog fisting...

what was that saying about how people hear what they want to hear?
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:28:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:

If you kill it, eat it.

I went to a buffet that had a tray labeled frog legs, but they looked too way big and were probably just chicken drumsticks. They even tasted like chicken.
Top Top