Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 8:04:39 AM EDT
My buddy just got to Iraq and I want to mail him and his guys some magazines and other things. I have his address but I have never shipped anything to him or anyone over seas. What if anything is different from just putting his name on the box and taking it to the post office? Thanks to all who help me help our troops!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#1]
IM me with specific questions, I've dealt with the mail a little and am sitting close to the mail room right now.

ETA: check my current LOC
<-------------
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
It's easy.

Go down to the post office and ask them for some of their "Flat Rate" boxes, they are free. They have 2 kinds (shoebox shaped and magazine shaped) so tell them you want the kind that would be good for magazines.

Now pack it full of the stuff you want to send, it doesn't matter how much it weighs because it's a flate rate box and will only cost you $4.95 regardless of weight. (If you ask for insurance or tracking, those are seperate charges).

Bags of jerky make great packing material. So doees bags of candy, but just make sure it's candy that won't melt.

Put your buddies address on the box, and take it back to the post office.

You're done.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:29:04 AM EDT
[#3]
You'll be shipping to an APO (wether he is contractor or military).  It's just like sending to anywhere else in the US.  Just have him send you his mailing address.  Don't worry about banned items, they get through :)  Just list the items as "toiletries".

You guys in the mailroom disregard this post :)
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget to fill out the customs form. There is 2 types of forms, for Iraq you need the long white one.
It's really not that hard and most PO's will help you. I get a bunch of boxes and customs forms. Also remember it takes 2-3 weeks to get to them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#5]
And do NOT send him anything illegal!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top