Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 5:50:50 PM EDT
My wife and I left that movie pissed.  

WTF was up with the Dallas team playing the race card, the implied racism of the black ref, etc???

What was the director trying to say?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Its based on a book.

Which is based on a true story.

So, that might have really happened in real life.  So dont be pissed at the movie if they are just telling you what happened in real life.  

But from what I got, Dallas-Carter didn't think they could get a fairly officiated game if they didn't have an all black referee team.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it was more like they wanted an all black team so they could get the upper hand.....

Great Movie by the way.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate sports movies, but this one was great. I don't think the director was trying to make a statement.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I was totally surprised by the movie.  According to Hollywood, only white males are racist.  In this movie, clearly the only racists were the blacks with the Dallas-Carter team.

Very good movie BTW.  I saw it with my son and the movie had several good lessons for those young kids who think that sports in general and football in particular represent a kid's future.  As what happened to Booty, it does not.

Merlin
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Texas High School Football my Brothers.......Texas High School Football.

It's not just sport.........in some places it truely is Blood Sport.  The entire self worth of a town depends on their local sports teams......mainly football but sometimes basketball as well. Sad but true.

Racism cuts both ways too.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely great movie!!

Did anyone realize the kid playing quarterback was the same kid in Sling Blade?  Also, did anyone catch the error in the movie?  During one shot of the stadium, it shows a "Bank of America" emblem on the scoreboard, except in the next shot in shows some obscure Texas banke name.  I'm pretty sure Bank of America wasn't around in 1988!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Great movie.
Take your kids to see it.
They may take away from it more than you'd expect.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Permian 0wnz j00.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top