Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2002 2:24:37 PM EST
Start rant. I just moved a couple of weeks ago and was debating cable over dish. This real nice guy calls last Friday and offers 125 channels, all local channels and 11 HBOs for $32.00 a month. No install or setup charges and no long term contracts. Sounded like a hell of a deal so I said ok. He made an appointment for the guy to come out today between 2:00 and 4:00pm Assholes did not show up. Called them back and the little gal said she did have me on the list but there was no appointment set. She also said that the package I order was 50 bucks a month not 32 like the idiot on the phone quoted me. Told them to forget it. Thinking about dish again. Rant over
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:31:00 PM EST
Get Dish Network. The quality it superior!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:31:19 PM EST
I've got the dish, Direct-tv. This is by far the best I've ever seen - better than cable, cheaper, and it works!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:45:14 PM EST
Get the dish. I've had both, and in my experience in NC, the cable companies basiclly have a monoploy...oh, as as for the cable companies marketing propaganda about inclimate weather cuseing disruptions w/ satelite service....this is sometimes true during heavy rain or snow. However, more than once a tree limb or ice has been attributed to loss of cable service for multiple days, and there was NO prorating of my sevices lost! I shouldn't have to pay for a month of cable if I only recieved 3 weeks of service! With a dish, no signal occurs during the storm...not 5 days after the storm is gone. I currently have cable. -HS
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:47:52 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:12:19 PM EST
Forget cable and go with the dish. I've had mine for about five years now and will not go back to cable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:23:57 PM EST
Ditto on the dish. I had TCI cable before I installed my DirecTV dish, and the difference in quality and price is amazing. And unlike cable, DirecTV hasn't jacked up my rates every month. TCI sucked and when they were bought out by AT&T it didn't get any better.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:42:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:50:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By Paul: I've dumping cable next month for the dish but must inform you that both DirecTV and The Dish Network have much less quality then a standard well adjusted analog cable system. It all comes down to bandwidth. Watching my folk's digital system I see the artifacts of the hard compression that they use to put +200 channels on the pair of satellites in use. It comes from knowing where to look but I see them. Analog cable has 6 Mhz of bandwidth where most satellite channels are less then 3 Mb (note Mhz and Mb please). The 6 Mhz is equal to about 28-36 Mb of digital signal depending on how you cut it. Using MPEG you are able to compress the hell out of the handful of signals that are on the 6 Mhz signal and get really good results. AFRTS broadcast eight television signals worldwide at 3 to 4 Mb and our signals look better then most of the satellite systems most of the time. Good compression is expensive and a good decoder can likewise be expensive. The US Navy sends out television signals at around 1 Mb and they don't look half bad even at that low rate. I'm going to satellite for quanity rather then quality. The digital signal is either good or gone - you have enough 1's and 0's to make a picture or not, there's no middle ground like we get with analog cable where channels can look snowy and weak.
View Quote
Paul you are somewhat correct. What you fail to mention is that with the dish 500 package from dish network the 1 dish is actually looking at 4 birds. 2 at 119 and 2 at 110. Each of those birds has 32 transponders all running at about 30mb depending on the forward error correction (FEC). Granted not all transponders are being used this way but a majority are. I really cant get into bandwidth because I would get into trouble. But I can say that the quality is much better on dish than cable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 3:57:59 PM EST
I have the Dish (Directv), my biggest complaint is that they don't adjust the viewing times for the national TV stations. So if it is shown on SciFi at 7pm on the east coast it is shown at 4 pm on the west coast. This also sucks since most of the informercial crap comes on at 2-4am east coast time it comes on at 11-1am west coast. That and you can't add extra TV sets without buying and paying for extra service. At least with the cable system here they broadcast the same channels as Directv on analog so it's a matter of using splitters. The premium channels are broadcast on digital, so to get them you would need to get an extra converter box...and right now you can get a second box for free.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:49:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/30/2002 4:50:28 PM EST by TomJefferson]
Top Top