Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/19/2013 3:45:35 PM EDT
I have been on airplane exactly twice in the last 15 years, but I'm looking to change that and stretch my traveling legs a bit in the coming years.

I think I recall some thing along the lines of getting flights during certain times of the week or fly back after the weekend for the best rates, but I really have no idea.

So I'd like to hear your tips and tricks for getting good deals on airfare, please.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:47:25 PM EDT
Buy your ticket 30 days or more in advance. Compete the buy across multiple airlines. Price it on the airline's website at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:48:07 PM EDT
Tuesday
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:51:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2013 3:52:47 PM EDT by MotorMouth]
Originally Posted By flash556:
Tuesday

Cheapest day to buy tickets, or cheapest day to fly?

Originally Posted By CWO:
Buy your ticket 30 days or more in advance. Compete the buy across multiple airlines. Price it on the airline's website at the same time.

What do you mean by that?
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:53:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:
Tuesday

Fly

little more on Wednesday..
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:59:34 PM EDT
Where do you want to Go ?
In OH I think Delta might be the Airline...
I have only flown JetBlue for about the last 10 years
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:59:52 PM EDT
Start with a site like Expedia and others and get an idea who flies where, then check that airline's site. If you have flexibility, check the last minute airfares, usually thru mileage clubs. Sometimes places like Costco, Sam's club, AAA, AARP, etc have deals. Talk/build a relationship with a travel agency and let them know what you are looking for, yes there maybe a fee, but they get notice of some deals others may not.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 4:03:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2013 4:07:04 PM EDT by wareagle30]
Tuesday

This. Buy on Tuesdays for sure!

If you plan to fly 3 times per year or more, get on an airlines FF program. If you have the means, the good credit, the discipline, and the ability to pay the card off in full each month, I HIGHLY recommend getting one of the Airline's credit cards. I have the Delta AMEX.

I fly about 6 times per year for work, and twice a year for personal reasons. I got 50k miles when I got the card, flew for another 24k miles worth last year, and paid EVERYTHING with the Amex. I racked up enough miles last year to pay for my wife and I to fly 1st class for our honeymoon to Jamaica and I flew 3 of my buddies to Vegas with me for my bachelor party last October.

My miles are depleted now, but my tier level keeps climbing. I should be Silver Medallion on Delta by August this year. Once you start gaining tier levels, your chances for upgrade (free) to first class increase dramatically. I still haven't been able to score first class across the pond yet, but it'll come someday.

For what it's worth, with the 2 miles per dollar spent with Delta, plus the sign up bonus, plus 1 mile per dollar on everyday purchases, miles earned for flights, and certain fares having mileage multipliers... Even if I didn't have to fly for work, I still would have been able to score the first class tickets for two to Jamaica for the honeymoon.

Link Posted: 3/19/2013 4:18:31 PM EDT
I use Priceline pretty often, get some good deals and bids now and then.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 4:44:07 PM EDT

Tuesday

Use an aggregation site to see the cost across multiple airlines for the same trip.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:13:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2013 5:13:20 PM EDT by wareagle30]

Tuesday

Use an aggregation site to see the cost across multiple airlines for the same trip.

Sites like farecast.com or Kayak.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 5:22:02 PM EDT
1. Southwest
2. Tuesdays
3. 14 days out

After that the price goes up a bit but holds. Avoid spring break, holidays, stuff like that.

My company runs about $12k a year in airfare, and the above is the best way to get the best price.

If Southwest is high, go to travelocity.com and check. Will probably be US Air, then Delta.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:48:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ankratz:
1. Southwest
2. Tuesdays
3. 14 days out

After that the price goes up a bit but holds. Avoid spring break, holidays, stuff like that.

My company runs about $12k a year in airfare, and the above is the best way to get the best price.

If Southwest is high, go to travelocity.com and check. Will probably be US Air, then Delta.

I used to be exclusive to SWA, but I have found I prefer the Delta Skymiles program to be much better. SWA is cheaper a LOT of the time, but if you fly fairly often, the DAL tier structure (medallion) and rewards are better IMHO. YMMV and all that.

Southwest is really good about nonstops though. STL to BWI, BWI to LAS, MDW to ORD... Their route structure has a lot more point to point rather than spoke and hub.

50% of my travel is between STL and BZN, so Delta has been my go to for the last two years or so.
Top Top