Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2002 5:15:43 AM EDT
[i]The suspect in a shooting rampage that left eight officials dead at a city council meeting killed himself Thursday by jumping out a window at police headquarters, another shock to a country already reeling from the carnage a day earlier.

Richard Durn, 33, bounded suddenly toward a fifth-floor window at the Paris headquarters while he was being questioned and struggled out of the grasp of two officers who tried to pull him back inside, police said.
[/i]

Pic of the little darling:

[img]http://wire.ap.org/APnews/?MIvalObj=215119&type=image/jpeg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:50:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Sacre Bleu! A frenchman who didn't surrender?
Didn't know there was such a critter....
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes there is , remember the French Foriegn Legion and their observeance of Cameron Day .
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:01:36 AM EDT
[#3]
"Eliminez les armes- pour les enfants!! A bas l'Association Nationale du Fusil!" or some such BS. I can hear it coming already- but what good will it do?

A similar massacre of politicians happened next door in Switzerland last year and it hardly raised a fuss, long-term, exc. for the grief of the bereaved. France already has some of the toughest gun licencing and registration laws in the world- what more could they do to stop this stuff from happening? Not much, really.

Alors, a Gallic shrug seems to be the only suitable response, mes amis...
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes there is , remember the French Foriegn Legion and their observeance of Cameron Day .
View Quote

And remember the middle word there: "foreign."
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#5]
"Allons les enfants de la patrie, le jour de gloire est arrive...."

I don't think the gun man is French, he is Croatian or something..

I don't know about the French Police, lots of their prisoners did escape or jump from the windows.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[i]The suspect in a shooting rampage that left eight officials dead at a city council meeting killed himself Thursday by jumping out a window at police headquarters, [b]another shock to a country already reeling from the carnage a day earlier.[/b][/i]
View Quote
What's so shocking about a murder suspect jumping out a window to his death?
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
The police probably threw the bastard out.

Welcome to the new world, boys and girls...

[thinking]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
The man had his firearms on a license, like is required in France(and in my country btw) but was known to be under psychiatric care and this was known.

So while at first the media was emphasizing the suspect had firearms legally obtained, now they are putting the emphasize on his mental state.

A coworker on the ambulancestation asked me what would happen if I ever got that crazy......I told him; the same thing if you ever get psychotic and drive your ambulance trough the conference room in cityhall. He got that..
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Some more info. Click on the links to the right "See Also" for other shooting in France. Sounds like they have their share of nut-cases also.

[url]http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/europe/newsid_1898000/1898365.stm[/url]

[img]http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1895000/images/_1897716_durn300ap.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
For once, French justice is swifter than Chicom justice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For once, French justice is swifter than Chicom justice.
View Quote

Frankly, I'd be surprised they didn't fire a warning shot into his back, should it turn out his death was a consequence of an attempt to escape...

"But monsieur, he fell down ze stairs at ze prefecture of police- what could we do? (followed by Gallic shrug)

Say what you want about the French military, but their national police are not exactly choir boys when it comes to dealing with perps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top