Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 12:27:10 PM EDT
Just heard it on news from a reporter on the ground, someone has set fire to a building. And the hits just keep coming.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:28:43 PM EDT
I'm surprised more buildings have not been set on fire.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:39:43 PM EDT
Corner of a Bourbon and canal street, they have live footage on CNN right now. Fire trucks are there to put it out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:41:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:43:11 PM EDT
I have a feeling that in the comming weeks the historic buildings that survived the storm and the flooding will be wiped out anyway by "looters" setting fire to them or destroying them in various other ways.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:47:50 PM EDT
Time for a PA announcement that all are to leave the area. Then after the innocents have left, make it a free fire zone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:51:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:54:50 PM EDT
MSNBC reporter said looters have been going in and out of that building all day. Guess they got tired of looting and decided for destruction? What kind of people would do this? I am at loss for words to describe the scum who are doing this.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:55:26 PM EDT
I told my coworkers this afternoon that as soon as there was nothing left to loot, there would be fires. Damn, I hate being right.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:57:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:58:17 PM EDT
I think it is apparent that these scumbags don't want to leave. They are having too much fun destroying what is left of the city, and avoiding the repercussions
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:59:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vito113:
SO……………

If 80% of New Orleeans is flooded and wrecked……

And looters now burn down the surviving French Quarter which is the only historically significant part of New Orleans……

Would there any point in rebuilding the city???

Hell no!

Why rebuil a place that is below sea level already? Do you think this may happen again in the future (duh)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:02:36 PM EDT

Nope.

Drain it and let it become the worlds largest MOUT facility.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:03:22 PM EDT
I really believe alot of fires in these situations are arson and not accident.

But most are not someone burning a random building.

Flood insurance, even if they have it, pays 40%. Fire insurance will rebuild your home or business.

Maybe i am wrong......but I always assumed most of those fire were caused by "the insurance papers rubbing together"
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:04:20 PM EDT

SO……………

And looters now burn down the surviving French Quarter which is the only historically significant part of New Orleans……

Nope. Not at that point.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:12:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By krpind:

Flood insurance, even if they have it, pays 40%. Fire insurance will rebuild your home or business.

Maybe i am wrong......but I always assumed most of those fire were caused by "the insurance papers rubbing together"

You could very well be right...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:14:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:15:21 PM EDT
Perhaps it's time to release the proper theft/fire/loitering deterrents to make sure those that stayed to cause mayhem leave.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:16:00 PM EDT

Flood insurance doesnt cover 100%?!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:17:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 1:18:56 PM EDT by krpind]

So, the people who were lucky and their property survived the hurricane and floods will burn them down… thats's fucked up!

No, I am saying how many times have you seen a flooded building on fire?
I always assumed that the owner torched it because most insurance companies don't pay for flood damage but they do pay for fire damage.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:24:11 PM EDT
Well, since the streets are flooded...

At least it won't burn to the ground.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:25:06 PM EDT

So, the people who were lucky and their property survived the hurricane and floods will burn them down… thats's fucked up!

I always assumed that the owner torched it because most insurance companies don't pay for flood damage but they do pay for fire damage.

Yup. Unless you specifically have flood insurance, the only flood damage they will pay for is something that happend as a result of the water heater breaking or something similar. Damage from an external flood is not covered at all.

Can you imagine what flood insurance would cost in NO? Most don't have it. Maybe none have it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:27:14 PM EDT

"Bumpty bump, bumpty bump...Cibola, Cibola. My life for you!"
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:28:05 PM EDT
I heard they opened the prisons and let the inmates go. Anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:31:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NAKED-GUNMAN:
MSNBC reporter said looters have been going in and out of that building all day. Guess they got tired of looting and decided for destruction? What kind of people would do this? I am at loss for words to describe the scum who are doing this.

The oppressed inner city, ex-slave "democrats", thats who, you oppressive "cracker"!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:32:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gus:

Yup. Unless you specifically have flood insurance, the only flood damage they will pay for is something that happend as a result of the water heater breaking or something similar. Damage from an external flood is not covered at all.

Can you imagine what flood insurance would cost in NO? Most don't have it. Maybe none have it.

I have it. I live on the gulf coast. I am required to have it because I have a mortgage. I live in a stilt home, so my flood insurance is less than $350 per year. However, my neighbor's is over $2k because he has a 1 story.

Hurricane insurance covers 98% of hurricane damage. Flood insurance covers the flood damage from hurricanes. Home owner's insurance will cover nothing flood/hurricane related.

FEMA will cover non-insured losses.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:33:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
I'm surprised more buildings have not been set on fire.

Me too

It'll happen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:39:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Q3131A:

FEMAtaxpayers will cover non-insured losses

I had no idea it would pay 98%, I always thought it would only pay 40% of appraised value and would not replace a home.

I hope you are right.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:42:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gus:

If you live in the 100 yr flood plain (or worse) and you have a mortgage, you have flood insurance
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:47:35 PM EDT

SO……………

I don't think the French Q is the only historically significant part of NO.

check out the Garden District
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:47:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NAKED-GUNMAN:

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:48:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Q3131A:

FEMAtaxpayers will cover non-insured losses

I had no idea it would pay 98%, I always thought it would only pay 40% of appraised value and would not replace a home.

I hope you are right.

The bank would not give me a mortgage with only 40% insurance.
Top Top