BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/2/2007 10:26:49 AM EDT
Linky

France stunned by rioters’ savageryMatthew Campbell, Villiers-le-Bel

IN retrospect, it was not a good idea to have left his pistol at home. Called to the scene of a traffic accident in the Paris suburbs last Sunday, Jean-François Illy, a regional police chief, came face to face with a mob of immigrant youths armed with baseball bats, iron bars and shotguns.

What happened next has sickened the nation. As Illy tried to reassure the gang that there would be an investigation into the deaths of two teenagers whose motorbike had just collided with a police car, he heard a voice shouting: “Somebody must pay for this. Some pigs must die tonight!”

The 43-year-old commissaire realised it was time to leave, but that was not possible: they set his car ablaze. He stood as the mob closed in on him, parrying the first few baseball bat blows with his arms. An iron bar in the face knocked him down.

“I tried to roll myself into a ball on the ground,” said Illy from his hospital bed. He was breathing with difficulty because several of his ribs had been broken and one had punctured his lung.

His bruised and bloodied face signalled a worrying new level of barbarity in the mainly Muslim banlieues, where organised gangs of rioters used guns against police in a two-day rampage of looting and burning last week.

Not far from where Illy was lying was a policeman who lost his right eye after being hit by pellets from a shotgun. Another policeman displayed a hole the size of a 10p coin in his shoulder where a bullet had passed through his body armour.

Altogether 130 policemen were injured, dozens by shotgun pellets and shells packed with nails that were fired from a homemade bazooka. It prompted talk of urban “guerrilla warfare” being waged on French streets against the forces of law and order.

By the end of the week an extraordinarily heavy police presence in Villiers-le-Bel, where most of the rioting took place, appeared to have halted the violence: on top of public transport strikes and student protests against his reform plans, Nicolas Sarkozy, the French president, could not afford a repeat of 2005, when a similar incident involving the deaths of two youths provoked the worst French urban unrest in four decades.

Things were so tense in the suburbs, however, that the riots could easily erupt again with the prospect of deaths on either side setting off a much greater explosion and, conceivably, the deployment of the army to keep peace.

“Given the weapons being used, it was lucky that nobody was killed,” said a policeman. Nearby were the charred remains of the local constabulary. The nursery school was burnt down. So was the library.

Rioting two years ago was widely regarded as a protest against poor housing, racial discrimination and unemployment of up to 40% in the grim housing estates surrounding most big French cities.

But “Sarko” dismissed suggestions that nothing had been done to improve the situation, referring to the “Marshall plan” for the banlieues being drawn up by Fadela Amara, his urban development minister.

At the same time he argued that, far from reflecting difficult living conditions, the violence was a result of the “thugocracy” of the suburbs, where drug-trafficking criminals held sway.

“We shouldn’t try to excuse the inexcusable,” said the president in a television address to an anxious nation on Thursday, ridiculing the left’s vision of rioters as “victims of social injustice”. He pledged that those who fired at police would be tracked down, one by one, and tried on charges of attempted murder.

Lawlessness in the suburbs is an awkward issue for Sarkozy because he had promised to deal with it as interior minister, when he introduced “zero tolerance” policing, only to be accused of aggravating the problem by referring to trouble-makers as “thugs” and “scum”. Despite some successes, many of the suburban ghettoes remain a law unto their own and, like parts of New York in the bad old days, policemen do not like to set foot there.

“It felt like they were out to kill us,” said one of the officers in Villiers-le-Bel last week. “We knew that there were weapons in the suburbs, but they have never been turned against us like that. The kids were shooting at us at close range, loading and reloading their weapons. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Sarkozy has ordered a full judicial inquiry into the teenagers’ deaths, even though all the evidence seems to support the police version that the boys were thrown from their unlicensed motorcycle when it accidentally collided with a patrol car. Friends and relatives of the victims dismiss the official account of the incident as fantasy.

As for Illy, he says he is not feeling vengeful but has identified one of his attackers from police photographs. He is certain to be able to pinpoint the rest. “Fortunately,” he said, “I’ve got a very good memory.”

Its all a matter of numbers...given enough population shift, this could happen anywhere on the globe.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Time to open a season and sell tags.
Cops here would own those thugs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess he learned that hard crusty bread sticks do not make a good weapon.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#3]
C'mon Nick, show some balls.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:34:55 AM EDT
[#4]
nothing to see here, move along....

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
France, the only country in the history of the world to be beaten up by teenagers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You mean run up white flags and capitulate.  Cops here would not do jackshit fearing being sued or prosecuted on hate crime bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Give a little more time, and the illegals will start to do this here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
France, the only country in the history of the world to be beaten up by teenagers.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Cambodia
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I don't believe that they will en masse; it is possible that a few terrorist/aztlan types may start, but by and large I don't believe that your average everyday illegal alien will engage in this behavior. In France you have ghetto overcrowding and religious fervor fueling some of this.

Just MHO.

96Ag
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Its all a matter of numbers...given enough population shift, this could WILLhappen anywhere everywhere on the globe.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Cambodia

shhh!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#13]
This is just a continuation of last year.  There have been car burnings all along. Just another incident for the mobs to use as an excuse to ramp it up. Notice now that there using not only Molotov cocktails but firearms and home made bazookas. Next will be the homemade kaytusha rocket. The battle for Europe has begun and it will spread before it stops.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Do they even make pipes out of lead anymore?  I thought those were banned decades ago.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't they have socialized healthcare there ?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cops herein China would own those thugs.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Imagine what the PD depts would do here if an angry mob beat there police chief...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

you beat me to say that, it's only a matter of time as posted above china would have tanks parked in these asshats yards
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#19]
It is like reading CAMP OF THE SAINT'S by Jean Raspail.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Or in arfcom speak; The JBT's would dress up in their best military, tacticool face stomping gear and ignore the rights of these patriots.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank God we have the Police to protect us!

oh shit...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:07:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Immigrant youths, how P.C.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1

For all the bitching about the 'militarization' of the police, there are clearly situations where a carbine in 5.56mm is needed.  As long as the People maintain their God-given inalienable right to own small arms, the police need to be equipped and trained to meet any and all threats.  

The police can, if they are in a safe position to do so, start with tear gas/rubber bullets  first.  But if rioters/mobs don't stand down immediately, then you have to send lead downrange.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Renault is set to introduce their newest line.....the "Yule".
Made of beeswax and compressed sawdust , the Yule will burn all thru the Holiday season.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't believe that they will en masse; it is possible that a few terrorist/aztlan types may start, but by and large I don't believe that your average everyday illegal alien will engage in this behavior. In France you have ghetto overcrowding and religious fervor fueling some of this.

Just MHO.

96Ag

all it took to burn LA in the Rodney King riots 1992 was "not guilty."  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You mean like they did during the L.A. riots?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Not just cops, I'm pretty sure the local citizenry would shoot back.

Anyway, this is France's problem... let France deal with it (it's like a train wreck, best not to look too long).

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Better the immigrant mob than the clique mob with the hammer of the dead.

danny
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Well said Texas...  

Sad but true..
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just MHO.

96Ag

pretty good thread on that yesterday, it will happen again here, only bigger and better. America is much softer and more pc than in 1992
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said Texas...  

Sad but true..

Haha! How short our memories are. We have plenty of Americans that will riot. NOLA, anybody? How effective were the police in Los Angeles during the Rodney King riots?

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#32]
There today here tomorrow, only difference is the attackers native language.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just MHO.

96Ag

pretty good thread on that yesterday, it will happen again here, only bigger and better. America is much softer and more pc than in 1992

There is a reason many of us live outside large population centers. Dirtbags tend to riot where they live, once they move away from known "safe" ground, bad things tend to happen to them.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just MHO.

96Ag

LOL, with your Arfcom name, you weren't a korean store owner in the 1992 riots, were you?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#35]
police will never be effective against large riots, it will take the residents putting down the uprise, or maybe the police can disarm the people again so rioters/looters can safely riot/loot to their hearts content
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
police will never be effective against large riots, it will take the residents putting down the uprise, or maybe the police can disarm the people again so rioters/looters can safely riot/loot to their hearts content

Yep.  In France they don't have guns to begin with, in America the police come collect them all when the SHTF.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Sure they will... several large metro departments have had to deal with large demonstrations (WTO riots, G8 riots).  It can be done, but it requires manpower, training, and the proper equipment.

An armed mob is another matter, and requires something besides tear-gas.  With the advent of patrol carbines ("militarization" in ARF-speak), they have that "something."
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Somewhere Jacques Chirac is smiling.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#39]
The rioters are just misunderstood kids.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The rioters are just misunderstood kids.

Just beating the French cops that .....  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#41]
but the g8 rioters are hippie pussies and college students that just talk it up and assualt people that they can gang beat, if the g8ers or other looter/rioters are in force burning things and shooting, i really don't think the police would do anything, move somewhere else to protect the mayors house or some celebrity that might have their property damaged, i have moved from a metro area to get away from these things. they're coming and America becomes more engrossed in American idol, and putting 22"rims on their bling bling suv's, i would hope that the police could handle a barn burning riot but with lawyers running the country they will be afraid of offending someone or using excessive force to protect others and themselves from a group of people that want to destroy them
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:49:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Where does one find a 'lead' pipe ?  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Imagine what the PD depts would do here if an angry mob beat there police chief...

Join in
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#44]
You guys remember "Children of Men"....Britian soldiers on! Ha!
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Where does one find a 'lead' pipe ?  
Actually, there is probably a lot of that around in the old world because lead was used to make pipes in the real old days. I would like to get some of that to make bullets with.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#46]
May I introduce the ROK riot police

www.liveleak.com/view?i=94a_1181550530

Good thing that was not the US he could have been brutalized by a taser instead of a 'good old days' police act
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just MHO.

96Ag

Those weren't predominantly illegal immigrants doing the rioting either. I am not denying that the possibility exists, I just don't think that it is likely.

96Ag
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
May I introduce the ROK riot police

www.liveleak.com/view?i=94a_1181550530

Good thing that was not the US he could have been brutalized by a taser instead of a 'good old days' police act

They nearly decapitated that guy with that shield hit... his mandible is broken at the very least, if not his neck.

Pretty excessive for a guy just standing there.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Linky

France stunned by rioters’ savageryMatthew Campbell, Villiers-le-Bel

came face to face with a mob of immigrant youths armed with baseball bats, iron bars and shotguns.

“Given the weapons being used, it was lucky that nobody was killed,” said a policeman. Nearby were the charred remains of the local constabulary. The nursery school was burnt down. So was the library.

As for Illy, he says he is not feeling vengeful but has identified one of his attackers from police photographs. He is certain to be able to pinpoint the rest. “Fortunately,” he said, “I’ve got a very good memory.”

Well we know how (Lead Pipe) and where (Library) if only we knew who dunnit?

If only we had a

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Join in

"Now Chief, remember when you said we couldn't get that pay raise last year, or the year before..."

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top