Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 11:12:26 AM EDT
I was reading that article on cnn.com about free land giveaways in Kansas and severeal other states. The only catch is you have to build a new house on the property of at least 1,000 SQFT within a year.  They even give tax rebates and other perks.

How much is an acre of land worth in Kansas?

How much to build a new 1,000 SQFT house with quality materials?

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow. That's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#2]
http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/22/real_estate/buying_selling/thursday_freeland/

Here's the entire article link for those who are interested.

Although it's more of a pipe dream for me (entire family in CA), I must say I got quite a few hours of fantasy about it while parked in good ole LA traffic jams...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#3]
have you ever driven across kansas? There is a reason it is free....most likely because there is NOTHING there. Although I did stop to see the worlds largest prarie dog, and it wasnt there. 200 miles of billboards hypeing it, and no varmint...what a dissapointment
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
have you ever driven across kansas? There is a reason it is free....most likely because there is NOTHING there. Although I did stop to see the worlds largest prarie dog, and it wasnt there. 200 miles of billboards hypeing it, and no varmint...what a dissapointment

I recall reading somewhere that scientists have proven that Kansas actually is flatter than a pancake!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd examine the gun laws in kansas before I moved there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd examine the gun laws in kansas before I moved there.

Well we're 1 of the 4 states that dont have any CCW. Other than that not too bad where i live.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
gun laws in kansas are ok, have been hunting there for years and years
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#8]
How much does an acre of land cost in Kansas?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How much does an acre of land cost in Kansas?

Depends. Pastureland in western KS can be <$500/Acre. Commecial property in Johnson County can approach $1 million/acre. I'd guess that the "free" stuff is the former.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
The 'largest prarie dog' is actually the big statue that advertises it.  I can't believe you actually stopped.  Now, the world's largest ball of twine.  That's a different story altogether...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have a career that you can conduct well removed from most civilization that doesn't involve cattle, wheat, corn, or oil, then this would be great.  Several of the places that are offering free land are near I-70, and therefore you have a slightly better link to civilization.

Most people who comment on the Kansas/Flat thing have spent most of their time driving the I-70 route or in Western KS.  The East and Southeast are more geographically interesting.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Most people who comment on the Kansas/Flat thing have spent most of their time driving the I-70 route or in Western KS.  The East and Southeast are more geographically interesting.

Jim

True.  I spent the night in Colby while travelling to Colorado.

Kansas is "Oh-my-god" boring.

"Oh look!

..a tree."
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Would you need a CCW in Kansas?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I thought that it wasn't about need...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#15]
How many acres per freebie?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#17]
KS gun laws are pretty crappy.  No CCW, no NFA goodies, no open carry.  I've driven through the state a couple of times and it's awful - absolutely nothing to see, just like driving through Nebraska.

My brother lives in Overland Park and I've thought of moving out there, but if I did I'd probably live in MO close to the border.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
KS gun laws are pretty crappy.  No CCW, no NFA goodies, no open carry.  I've driven through the state a couple of times and it's awful - absolutely nothing to see, just like driving through Nebraska.

My brother lives in Overland Park and I've thought of moving out there, but if I did I'd probably live in MO close to the border.

Actually there is open carry on your property, and I think throughout the State depending on local ordances but dont qoute me on that.
Otherwise yes, live in MO on the state line. MO offers CCW and offers FA weapons, although no silencers.

Forgot to add, bring your money with you cause you aint gonna make any in the assend of Kansas.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#19]
On the plus side kansas doesn't have any BS "get a pistol permit from the Sheriff" crap just to buy a handgun.  There might be local BS but nothing statewide (IIRC).  Private handgun sales/no paper are ok, unlike MO.  
No helmet law if you ride a motorcycle (many times I've ditched the skidlid after crossing the MO/KS border just because I could).  
No BS yearly "safety" inspections just to get tags for your car (though now that MO has gone to a every other year inspection it's less of a goatscrew).  

The alcohol laws are kinda screwy, but what can you expect?  The state was settled by east coast Puritan religious types.  Not as bad as it used to be but IIRC 3.2% beer?????? .

If I was to live in KS it would have to be in the southeast or east (just not in the Overland Park/JO or WY county area )  The Flint Hills area is pretty (but not as nice as the Ozarks...).  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
On the plus side kansas doesn't have any BS "get a pistol permit from the Sheriff" crap just to buy a handgun.  There might be local BS but nothing statewide (IIRC).  Private handgun sales/no paper are ok, unlike MO.  
No helmet law if you ride a motorcycle (many times I've ditched the skidlid after crossing the MO/KS border just because I could).  
No BS yearly "safety" inspections just to get tags for your car (though now that MO has gone to a every other year inspection it's less of a goatscrew).  

The alcohol laws are kinda screwy, but what can you expect?  The state was settled by east coast Puritan religious types.  Not as bad as it used to be but IIRC 3.2% beer?????? .

If I was to live in KS it would have to be in the southeast or east (just not in the Overland Park/JO or WY county area )  The Flint Hills area is pretty (but not as nice as the Ozarks...).  

You realize Overland Park is nicer then ANY area of KC, Mo right? (Maybe, MAYBE barring the Plaza....)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are going to move that far out into Kansas just go on across the Colorado line.  Pay the $500/acre (or less).  If you can afford to build a 1000 sqft house $500 shouldn't be a big deal.   It is a little stark, but there are natural backstops everywhere.    I think I could live out there.  I like quiet.  Easy access to the mountains (2-3 hour drive).  The winters would be a bitch, though and my family would kill me.  Other than that, I think I could do it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You realize Overland Park is nicer then ANY area of KC, Mo right? (Maybe, MAYBE barring the Plaza....)

In a creepy Stepford Wives/pod people way, yes.  I've been through OP before, don't care for it.  Having to be in KS is bad enuff, OP more so.  Been thru the area plenty of times, couldn't pay me enuff to live there.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I guess it would depend where you are in KS. Eastern KS has a lot of crime.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#24]
My grandparents lived in Cimarron, which is between Dodge City and Garden City.  Nothing out there but crops, prairie and feed lots.  I lived in Olathe and worked in Overland Park after I graduated from college and decided really quickly there's too much concrete and too many people.  I'd rather live in Western Kansas than the KC metro.  Course, I'd rather live in Oklahoma than either place.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:24:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok, the article also says places in Montana too.  Is Montana just as "bleak"?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Much of eastern Montana is pretty flat and DAMN WINDY!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that it wasn't about need...

Actually, CCW is all about need.  Everyone needs to be able to defend themselves at all times.

GBT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Kansas is NOT flat.  It just seems that way.  I've driven across it probably close to 30 times.  In Kansas City you are less than a 1000 ft in altitude.  By the time you hit Colorado you're at around 5000ft.   It's just a REALLY long (I think 448 miles) hill.  I usually get 1-2 miles per gallon better mileage going east vs. west.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I could get into it.

Dangit,  I LIKED living in Nebraska!

Seems like as good a place to build guitars as any.  And I don't drink.

CJ

What kind of guitars do you build?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Not anywhere in that article did I see mention of Montana.  Kansas, Nebraska, and North Dakota are all I see.  Where is Montana mentioned?

I wonder if Idaho has such a deal going....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Land values vary greatly in Kansas. It is hard to say for one acre is worth.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Open carry is legal in almost the whole state of Kansas. Also cancelled carry is LEGAL as long as your are driving to go hunting or hunting. As far as carrying weapon in your car Kansas laws in most all the state allow it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Kansas is NOT flat.  It just seems that way.  I've driven across it probably close to 30 times.  In Kansas City you are less than a 1000 ft in altitude.  By the time you hit Colorado you're at around 5000ft.   It's just a REALLY long (I think 448 miles) hill.  I usually get 1-2 miles per gallon better mileage going east vs. west.  

tallest peak in Kansas is roughly 2600feet or so.

there are a lot of misconceptions about KS.....lol.....

there is open carry, but I'm sure all cities have ordinances against it.

3.2% beer is only available at gas stations/convenience stores, you can get full strength beer at liquor stores.

KS is not all that flat, in fact, most of it is really hilly.  It just isn't rapidly changing elevation.

Where I live, just south of I70 meets I135, it is 1300feet above sea level.

Yes, they are giving the land away, however, the property taxes are fairly big and thats how they are able to give it away "free".  Also I believe, there are stipulations, like you have to have a family or something.......etc....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:41:16 PM EDT
[#37]
How can the tallest peak (unless they only count hill summits) be 2600 when Kanorado (right on the border with Colorado is at almost 4000 feet?

Kanorado,
 Kansas

Founded: 1888
   Population: 276
   Elevation: 3908 feet
   Latitude: 39° 19' 59" N
   Longitude: 102° 2' 15" W
   ZIP code: 67741
   Area Code: 785
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
How can the tallest peak (unless they only count hill summits) be 2600 when Kanorado (right on the border with Colorado is at almost 4000 feet?

Kanorado,
 Kansas

Founded: 1888
   Population: 276
   Elevation: 3908 feet
   Latitude: 39° 19' 59" N
   Longitude: 102° 2' 15" W
   ZIP code: 67741
   Area Code: 785

you are right, i was mistaken.....it is 4,039feet.  I coulda sworn it was only 2600feet....

Mt. Sunflower......

Kansas
     Mount Sunflower - 4,039 FT- Kansas Highpoint*

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top