Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2002 4:27:41 PM EDT
Go to this link [url]http://www.wwmtnews3.com/WWMT-News/nelocal.htm[/url] and read the second story down.  Can you say EXTREME DUMBASS?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
According to authorities, a loaded Glock .40 pistol was stored in the oven by the child’s grandmother who had discovered it in the kitchen. The gun discharged when the oven was turned on in order to heat up a pizza
View Quote

thats about the dumbest thing I have ever heard, how could she not have seen it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
According to authorities, a loaded Glock .40 pistol was stored in the oven by the child’s grandmother who had discovered it in the kitchen. The gun discharged when the oven was turned on in order to heat up a pizza
View Quote

thats about the dumbest thing I have ever heard, how could she not have seen it?
View Quote

Yeah, really! I mean, it's not like you have to pre-heat a microwave! She MUST have seen it when she (or whoever) put the damn pizza in the oven BEFORE turning it on.

edited to add: OK, so LARRYG said microwave, not the article. However, if the gun discharged during the pre-heating stage of a conventional oven it's still no excuse!  People are just STUPID.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#4]
So much for "safe action"!!
edited to add that the story doesn't say anything about a microwave.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah I'll have cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, and a glock on my pizza.... Make that a loaded glock...
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#6]
All Glocks must have a warning sticker stating "Do not pre-heat past 245 degrees!"

I bet that the investigation will find that the heat weakened the plastic, allowing the trigger to fall back, releasing the striker.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

edited to add: OK, so LARRYG said microwave, not the article. However, if the gun discharged during the pre-heating stage of a conventional oven it's still no excuse!  People are just STUPID.
View Quote
OOOPPSSS.  Somehow, I got microwave stuck in my brain.  Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
OOOPPSSS.  Somehow, I got microwave stuck in my brain.  Sorry about that.
View Quote

It happens!! I read the whole article and posted a response before I caught it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I reckon you don't pre-heat your Glock and pizza at the same time.
Must have 'cooked-off' a round !
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#13]
This story is just that. A story. Pure B.S. IMO
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:37:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I can see the anti-gun people screaming Ban ovens they kill !! BTW I wonder how hot the oven was. Did it say the Glock melted ?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#15]
There is probably no one more upset by this tragic event, than the grandmother.

I'm sure this woman must be racked with remorse and guilt, but, SOMEBODY had to have left the pistol in her kitchen in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#16]
This happened a short distance from me.  Very tragic indeed.  But, everybody knows that you should hide your loaded semi auto pistol in the freezer not the oven.

Bob B
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All Glocks must have a warning sticker stating "Do not pre-heat past 245 degrees!"

I bet that the investigation will find that the heat weakened the plastic, allowing the trigger to fall back, releasing the striker.
View Quote

NOPE the primer cooked-off (no pun intended).

They will explode when they reach a certain temperature, no need to strike the primer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Another statistic for the gun controllers.  I wonder if it can be considered a firearms death, considering noone had physical possession at the time of discharge?  It would have been the same outcome if it were a box of bullets and not a handgun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#20]
The real question is....did it have a trigger lock. Everyone knows that trigger locks cure all gun problems.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I agree with neilfj. Trigger locks solve [b][u]all problems!!![/u][/b] (Intentional sarcasm alert!)
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It would have been the same outcome if it were a box of bullets and not a handgun.
View Quote

not likely, bullets do not travel with too much energy unless they are confined to a barrel.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This reminds me of the Police Chief who hid his service pistol in the oven, and it discharged as well.  Nobody was injured, and the Chief suspended himself.
View Quote

That was the Madison, Wisconsin Police Chief that did that.  It happened several years back as he was reheating Thanksgiving leftovers.  He did suspend himself for a day without pay.  Dumb-ass.

But not much dumber than the people here trashing Glocks.  The CARTRIDGE cooked off, not the gun.  Wouldn't have mattered what the hell kind of gun it was.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Freak Gun Accident...
View Quote

wrong!  sheer stupidity.

when will people wake up and realize that "accidents" don't happen with firearms.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This story is just that. A story. Pure B.S. IMO
View Quote
Sooooo, the local TV station just made it up.  Is that it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#26]
God Bless that poor little baby. What a horrible and tragic mistake with the worst imaginable consequences. [:(]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yeah, really! I mean, it's not like you have to pre-heat a microwave! She MUST have seen it when she (or whoever) put the damn pizza in the oven BEFORE turning it on.

View Quote

pre-heating a oven doesn require opening it. just turn it on. the heating element doesnt provide any real light. its sensible to check it before you turn it on but not everyone does, i dont usually.  besides.. guns dont go off by themselves. they have top be cooked by idiots at the temp gauge..
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It would have been the same outcome if it were a box of bullets and not a handgun.
View Quote

not likely, bullets do not travel with too much energy unless they are confined to a barrel.
View Quote

i would guess 6" to 12" of and real forward travel before a serious amount of drop occured. or am i way off here? i havent test this and dont plan to.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#29]
You guys are soooo dumb. Glocks are the same guns that are "invisible" to airport metal detectors. Obviously Grandma must have flipped on the "invisibility" switch by accident when she "safely" stored it in the oven where NOBODY could get to it. The only other SAFE location being the cookie jar.

Anyway, when the unsuspecting person turned on the oven he clearly could NOT have seen the Glock in the "invisible" mode. So obviously the people at fault are GLOCK. That damn invisible mode is more trouble than it is worth.

Stupid Procelain Guns...
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
God Bless that poor little baby. What a horrible and tragic mistake with the worst imaginable consequences. [:(]
View Quote

Agreed.

If the granny had shot herself - I'd be harping about how stupid she was too and goofing about silliness of the circumstances.

But something about having a little boy myself- I find nothing to say here  but that reading stories likes this doesn't fill me with anger, it just opens a deep empty pit of depressed sorrow inside me.

All I can say is, it hurts me deeply for the loss of that little baby.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Must have been one of those High Capacity Assault Ovens with a Flash supp. There should be a law.....When ovens are outlawed........
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#32]
We need to ban all ovens....if this woman would not have had an oven this would have never occured.....remember..it's for the children!

Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, that is just great.  I suppose by the end of tomorrow the A****** General of my great state will add a not going off while cooking with pizza test that all handguns have to pass before we can be allowed to buy them... For the children, of course.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:35:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Serving search warrants, I have found lots of guns and drugs in wierd places, especially refrigerators, freezers, ovens and fireplaces.

Why people do this, I have no idea. I guess it keeps them accessible but out of the way. Like I always say, if these folks were smart, they'd be rocket scientists and doctors. Makes me wonder about Grandma, in this instance.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:14:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

That the gun was a Glock is irrelevant. Would have happened if it was a 1911, HK, or....
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:25:02 AM EDT
[#36]
MH he was joking. dont get your panties in a bunch.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
MH he was joking. dont get your panties in a bunch.
View Quote

I know.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:37:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I have two little girls - one's four and the other's two - and I could tell all kinds of stories about the goofy stuff they've put in the oven.  They went through a stage right after the oldest learned how to open the oven, where we had to check every time we went to pre-heat the oven for something.  Tupperware, dolls, toys - you name it, we've probably accidentally burnt it!  Thankfully, I think we're past that now.  

I think this goes straight to an issue my wife and I discussed.  A time back, she voiced her desire to always have a loaded weapon accessible in the home.  While this is certainly not a bad idea, she did not like my stipulation that the only way she could do it would be to carry it in a concealable holster with her all day.  The way I look at it is this:  We have a relatively small home, and if she's going to need a loaded weapon, she's going to need it fast.  Going to the bedroom to get a weapon out of a lockbox may not be a feasible response.  But with toddlers, there's no way I want a loaded weapon *ANYWHERE* out of the immediate control of a responsible adult.  This poor grandma made a big mistake, and her family is suffering the consequences.  

It hurts my heart everytime I hear of an innocent child suffering - I know how dear mine are to me, and can't imagine the suffering this family must be going through.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Don't laugh - I used to put my (unloaded) Glock in the freezer when I went on vacation.  Figured if we were robbed, they wouldn't look for anything in the freezer.
View Quote

DVDTracker,

Nope,

Freezer's a bad place to hide stuff.  while doing research for an unrelated subject I read several interviews with criminals regarding their methodology and practices.

The freezer is one of the first places criminals look when burgalarizing a home.  Other popular and well known hiding places are; Under stair casings, in toilet tanks, under mattresses, in shoes, back of closets, in the fridge, in kitchen cabinets, behind books in shelves and under clothing in drawers.

There were several other mentioned but the freezer was one of the most often mentioned.

Now maybe if you wrap it in white paper and write "Liver, 1992" on it, they'll leave it alone......

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top