Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 8:34:09 PM EDT
BEATTYVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Inmates at a privately run Lee County prison set three buildings on fire Tuesday night, but there were no immediate reports of injuries, corrections officials said.

Lisa Lamb, a spokeswoman for the Kentucky Department of Corrections, said the fires started just after 7 p.m. EDT outside two dormitories and an administration building at the Lee Adjustment Center.

The two dorm fires were extinguished, but the fire at the administration building continued to smolder late Tuesday night, Lamb said.

Inmates housed in one of the burned dorms were evacuated with no injuries, Lamb said.

Officials were unsure why the inmates started the fire and how many were involved, Lamb said. Lamb said guards were still in the process of locking down the facility as of 10:45 p.m. EDT Tuesday.

Corrections officers were counting the inmates to account for all of them, Lamb said. Lamb said no inmates escaped during the disturbance.

Corrections Corporation of America, based in Nashville, Tenn., runs the prison, which holds about 800 men.

Lamb said 400 of the inmates are from Kentucky and 400 are from Vermont being held at the facility on a contract between that state and CCA.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

For the latest information, watch 27 NEWSFIRST.

There have been news report on tv saying that there may have been staff personnel who were being held hostage, but that was never confirmed. I know lots of guys who work at that place, some of them are even my friends. At last report it soinded as if all the guards and staff were accounted for and ok, so that's the important thing.

I live in a neighboring town but there have been police, EMS and fire units sent to the prison from 6 counties. It sounds as if they pretty much have the two dorm fires under control but the admin building is still burning. You could see a big glow in the sky from the tv news crew who was at the staging area where all the emergency services are reporting to.  Police helicopters with search lights have been orbiting the area and SWAT teams have been securing the perimeter. As of yet, they don;t know how many inmates may have escaped, if any. I've heard several helicopters fly over my area. I'm not sure if they were police or medical, as they had a big triage operation set up as well, in case there were lots of injuries. But it sounds as if there is, it's only among prisoners. Hopefully everything is now back under control but things were pretty tense for several hours.

I suppose I better keep a gun handy just in case some of these assmunches manage to get through the fence before all the cops surrounded the area. You never know where they could end up. And I sure as hell will not be answering any knocks at the door tonight unless I am certain I know who it is. Damn friggin criminals!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Time to put your place on LOCK DOWN.

Stay informed and STAY SAFE.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Time to put your place on LOCK DOWN.

Stay informed and STAY SAFE.

Most importanatly-----

STAY LOCKED AND LOADED!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The AP report says there was no escapees. But the tv news was still reporting that they were still counting prisoners about 45 minutes after the AP report was issued. So who knows? LOL. If they haven't all been accounted for, it's hard to say nobody escaped. All the local channels have gone back to the late night crap so I suppose I'll have to wait until morning to hear what happened. At any rate, I have no doubts that worse people probably live within a mile of me, including meth makers and drug dealers. So hell, I'm just gonna go to bed in a few minutes. My dog can take care of business the remainder of the night.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
They want their hi-cap magazines!  They're celebrating the sunset!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, your priority is to be vigilant and aware.  Escapees can be desparate and dangerous.

However, there was a reason these convicts rioted.  But that hasn't been reported.  A fact quickly circulating the nation has noticed that the terrorist prisoners are being treated better than the car thief.  I'm not advocating lesser restrictions, just pointing out that they may need to be protected from abuses.

Terrorists who've killed Americans get more freedoms than someone who sold pot to his neighbor?  That, along with abuses would cause an uproar.

You be safe, C_H, and stay on target!  There are violent offenders out there who have no regard for anyones's vitality.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
There was a riot at the local prison once apon a time.. The warden at the time placed a Browning water cooled 30cal MG on the wall and told the rioters they had 5 minutes.. 5 Minutes later all prisoners were back in their cells, They knew he would use it..
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
They interviewed a guard that works at the prison and it seems he was very unhappy with something there. He ws off work as he'd been injured when an inmate threw some sort of oil on the floor in front of him, causing him to fall and injure himself. He said that this had been brewing for weeks and that he was not all surprised it finally boiled over.

So it sounds as if the inmates were given too much freedom or that they the admin wasn't quite giving them enough of something. I have no idea what sparked it, so I won't comment. While I believe prisoners should be treated with respect, I also realize it isn't a kindergarten. So I suppose we'll have to wait to see exactly what this was all about.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a cure for prison riots.

1. (My voice over Loudspeaker) " Attention Prisoners, you have 5 minutes to lay down all weapons and lay face down on the floor where you are standing right now. Failure to comply will result in deadly force being taken."  4 minutes 55 seconds,  4 minutes 50 seconds, 4 minutes 45 seconds.......

After 5 minutes SWAT, the National Guard, Local Police and Sherriffs would strom the prison and shoot anyone standing till they are dead.

Thank you for listening.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#9]
arm yourself!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I got a cure for prison riots.

1. (My voice over Loudspeaker) " Attention Prisoners, you have 5 minutes to lay down all weapons and lay face down on the floor where you are standing right now. Failure to comply will result in deadly force being taken."  4 minutes 55 seconds,  4 minutes 50 seconds, 4 minutes 45 seconds.......

After 5 minutes SWAT, the National Guard, Local Police and Sherriffs would strom the prison and shoot anyone standing till they are dead.

Thank you for listening.

In other words, Attica without the waiting and negotiating?

Damn, that reminds me, I need to watch that movie again. "Hot soup motherfucker! Hot soup!"
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not familiar with what happened at Attica, but I would do it just like I've described it in my post.

5 minutes after I got there, no more no less, I'd be going in ready to rock and roll.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#12]
facts quickly circulating the nation generally aren't.

Privately Run??? this is one of the areas where gummint shouldn't be outsourced because, nobody not a state sworn  officer better be in a position to order capital punishment, ie shooting prisoners, especially those not escaping.  This is not the 30's of the James Cagney movies, shooting prisoners out of hand would be the worst mistake a state government could make. (Even if the were right to do so, the repercussions on all levels would be horrendous.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
facts quickly circulating the nation generally aren't.

Privately Run??? this is one of the areas where gummint shouldn't be outsourced because, nobody not a state sworn  officer better be in a position to order capital punishment, ie shooting prisoners, especially those not escaping.  This is not the 30's of the James Cagney movies, shooting prisoners out of hand would be the worst mistake a state government could make. (Even if the were right to do so, the repercussions on all levels would be horrendous.)

Maybe its the whiskey talking but that makes sense.  I agree.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:14:36 PM EDT
[#14]
All a prisoner would have to do to NOT GET SHOT would be to follow orders.

1. Dispose of any weapon, lie on the ground face down.

Anyone in any other position get's shot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know squat about running prisons, but I vote we ship the 400 from Vermont back and let Howard Dean take care of them personally. Living with him should be the worst punishment known to man.

Also, I'm not sure if this matters, but this was a medium security prison. So I assume they didn't house the worst of the worst. But obviously some of those fellas weren't exactly angels either.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#16]
CCA is a huge ClusterF#ck
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Jail and prison inmates are the stupidest people on earth.

Actually, that's not quite accurate.

It's kind of a toss up between them, and the people who visit them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
CCA is a huge ClusterF#ck

Yep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top