Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2008 3:33:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Every ticket I've ever gotten had the instructions printed on the back of the ticket.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
This has happened to me in the past.

IIRC, I received 2 from the city of Chicago. I didn't understand because I didn't own a Doge and I had never parked in that area of the city as I generally avoided it. I called up for weeks until I got an actual human. She told me that it ends up that the city had issued tens of thousands of temporary plates and alot of them were duplicates of real plates. Supposedly, it was even on the news but, of course, they couldn't do anything to help me out. So, I didn't pay them. I got some threats, IIRC, but blew it off. They never messed with my credit.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#4]
are you foing?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup.. Meter Maid blew the writeup. I got one once saying that I had to pay $xxx to get my car out of impound. I thought seriously about showing up with the cash and demanding they produce my vehicle (which, of course, was at home counties away), but I ended up just calling.

Got an "Oopsie... sorry... nevermind."
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Reply in writing with all of the detail you gave in the OP and more.

Make/model/year of your car will be critical, as this info is probably also on the original ticket.  If a letter/number was transposed or wrong on the original ticket, chances are the make/model/year won't match your vehicle.

Honestly, it should not be too difficult to get this straightened out.

ETA:  Dibs on guns and ammo if it doesn't work out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Sue.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been in a similar situation. Petition instructions are on back of ticket. It was pretty painless getting rid of it.

For most minor parking infractions, you can petition the ticket. They simply don't give a fuck. If you put the energy to get rid of it, it will go away. This is assuming you don't have any serious and/or frequent past parking infractions.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been in a similar situation. Petition instructions are on back of ticket. It was pretty painless getting rid of it.

For most minor parking infractions, you can petition the ticket. They simply don't give a fuck. If you put the energy to get rid of it, it will go away. This is assuming you don't have any serious and/or frequent past parking infractions.

Why did Indiana Jones throw your post out of the Hindenburg?

NO TICKET.

See above...

Quoted:
Quoted:
Every ticket I've ever gotten had the instructions printed on the back of the ticket.

I didn't get a ticket.
 It's a false charge.  I got a letter informing me of unpaid ticket.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why did Indiana Jones throw your post out of the Hindenburg?

http://ttp://media.filmschoolrejects.com/images/lastcrusade_noticket.jpg

NO TICKET.

Hah, I fail reading comprehension. Sorry. The instructions and applicable forms can usually be found online. Would make it easier of the letter contained a reference # to original ticket.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:16:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sue.

Sue whom exactly?  On what basis?  Civil court or criminal?

OP call the number on the ticket tomorrow morning.  Ask to have the ticket absolved as you were not at the location at the time of the ticket.  Offer to provide witnesses that can attest to your vehicle's proximity at the time the ticket was issued.

If this doesn't work, ask to speak to the next highest supervisor.  If this still doesn't work, use the phrase, "I'm sorry we couldn't have this issue resolved.  Could you please provide the appropriate contact information for your supervisor?  My attorney has advised me to take down this information for pending legal action."  Usually the quoted phrase gets you what you want.

Be cordial as well, you're probably being recorded.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like they had some unpaid tickets and thought they'd go fishin'. Never know,someone might say"Oh teh noes!!!111,I forgot to pay a ticket"and pay. Or not.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Call lawyers till you find one familiar with the Unfair Debt Collection Practices Act. He'll make more off the suit than you, but you'll have the satisfaction of seeing the city pay in 4 or 5 figures for a $25 attempted scam.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top