Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 7:46:50 PM EDT
Now this IS Bush's fault!

The Bush administration has pledged billions of dollars to Katrina victims but five months after the storm, New Orleans remains largely in ruins.

Bush's September 15 address to the nation from New Orleans..."we will do what it takes, we will stay as long as it takes" to rebuild.

reuters.myway.com/article/20060207/2006-02-07T002438Z_01_N03281051_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-HURRICANES-AID-DC.html

Mayor: New Orleans will seek aid from other nations

Feb 6, 7:24 PM (ET)

By Michael Depp

NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - Shortcomings in aid from the U.S. government are making New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin look to other nations for help in rebuilding his hurricane-damaged city.

Nagin, who has hosted a steady stream of foreign dignitaries since Hurricane Katrina hit in late August, says he may seek international assistance because U.S. aid has not been sufficient to get the city back on its feet.

"I know we had a little disappointment earlier with some signals we're getting from Washington but the international community may be able to fill the gap," Nagin said when a delegation of French government and business officials passed through on Friday to explore potential business partnerships.

Jordan's King Abdullah also visited New Orleans on Friday and Nagin said he would encourage foreign interests to help redevelop some of the areas hardest hit by the storm.

"France can take Treme. The king of Jordan can take the Lower Ninth Ward," he said, referring to two of the city's neighborhoods.

Katrina flooded 80 percent of the city and killed more than 1,300 people in Louisiana and Mississippi.

The Bush administration has pledged billions of dollars to Katrina victims but five months after the storm, New Orleans remains largely in ruins.

Nagin said his message to President George W. Bush would be that the federal government needs to refocus on the devastated area.

"We need your undivided attention over the next six months," he said. "We need backup. We need for you to make the words that you spoke in Jackson Square a reality."

Nagin was referring to the president's September 15 address to the nation from New Orleans, in which he pledged "we will do what it takes, we will stay as long as it takes" to rebuild.

French Transport Minister Dominique Perben, leading the French delegation to a city that was founded by France in 1718, said, "This catastrophe has deeply upset the French people and the French government."

France, Perben said through a translator, "wants to be a long-term partner for Louisiana and New Orleans."

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]
considering how unethically NO was run before katrina, I dont see a problem with not giving those idiots money.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
considering how unethically NO was run before katrina, I dont see a problem with not giving those idiots money.

I knew saying it's Bush's fault would bring a reply!

And you have a point.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
actually you did the edit as I was considering how to word my response
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish Louisiana Government would clean house and get rid of all these incompetent assholes in power. I never voted for Nagin and he does not represent everybody. I wish I could take my vote back from Gov. Blank-stare but at the time she was the better politician. It is not Bush's fault, it is all the local governments' (waiting to fill thier pockets). The hurricane might of been the best thing to happen to New Orleans, the crime rate has never been so low. It is actually allowing the people who really loves New Orleans (for what it is) rebuild. Not a freakin crime infested project. Maybe people will realize not to solely rely on Government. Now think of what would happen if some city got nuked. WE ARE ON OUR OWN!!!!

Hey, what do I know? I'm just a Coon Ass!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top