Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 7:00:26 AM EDT
I'm ready to put in my bathroom wall.  3 sides of the bathroom were done when the house was built.  There is a 2" PVC pipe coming up out of the floor for a sink drain.  I went to Lowes yesterday and found out tubs are 60", so I planned to make my bathroom 60 1/8" wide.  I came home and measured from the wall that's already there and it turns out my planned wall will not enclose the sink drain pipe.  In fact, the drain pipe will be half in and half out of the wall.  How should I deal with this?  Just frame around it, then have to cut out a big chunk from the back of the vanity that I'm going to put in?  I don't know what else to do.  If I move the wall either way to either completely enclose the pipe or move the pipe completely out of the wall, then the bathroom will be too wide or narrow to fit the tub.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:12:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Sadly, not an option.  The other long wall has lots of plumbing for the washer, hot water heater, and upstairs bathroom in it.
I guess I'm framing around it.

Quoted:
knock the other walls down and do it all over again THE RIGHT WAY.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Make the room wider by the few inches that you need. Use a piece of trim on either side of the tub. The vanity drain can go through the bottom of the cabinet rather than through the back like most do.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Put an elbow on the pipe and divert it so that it comes up in the middle of the vanity. The turn will be under the bottem shelf in the cabinet, so it won't be seen.

You can switch to 1-1/2" pipe as soon as you come out of the floor.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Just imagine a 5'x12' room, with the two short ends and one long side framed.  The open side has a pipe sticking up out of the floor.  If you draw a line parallel to the existing long wall and 5' from it, it runs right through the middle of the pipe.

I think I'm just gonna proceed with framing around it, then try to minimize how much I have to cut out of the vanity.
Thanks,
Jim

Quoted:
It's hard to visualize without a drawing or picture but you may be able to frame around it and work it into an architectual element.

Or a faux cabinet.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top