Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2008 9:35:30 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:25:01 PM EST
Kinda surprised no one has replied before this. 'Specially since I'm an LEO/electrician.
The corners usually have the edges of 2 wall studs at right angles ... even if one has to be added just for that. It's pretty important in the corners.
As to the seams ... A drywall pro told me , ceiling first, then jam a full sheet (horizontally) up to the ceiling, so that it helps hold the ceiling up. Then you can finish the bottom sheet (horizontally) without straining to hold anything up, and while measuring and piecing a filler (if needed) at an easy working level.
Hope that helps.
As to insulating, I definitely know when to quit giving advice,

Stay safe
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 5:54:40 AM EST
I would think a moisture barrier would be more important down there between the cement and the drywall rather than insulation. When my father and I built an apartment in the basement of one of his houses we used 1" x 2" wood strips to space the drywall off the cement and to give something to screw/nail to. I would think tyvek or something should go in between however. Drywall and moisture don't mix.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:02:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:12:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/5/2008 10:20:51 AM EST by brickeyee]
Get a good book on framing.

There are a lot of places you need to add wood to provide an edge for drywall that are easy to do during framing, but a PITA to add later.

I have a good one at homoe but cannot remember the name or author.

ETA
Guide to Residential Carpentry (Paperback)
by John Louis Feirer (Author), Gilbert Hutchings (Author)
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:15:38 PM EST
This is one of those times where a picture is worth a thousand words. I could try all day to tell you but a picture from any framing book will get you right in no time. Even our little library had three to choose from. SS
Top Top