Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2003 7:01:15 PM EDT
[note:  this is reposted here as it appears on awbansunset.com forums]

This evening, Bill O'Reilly's popular Fox News Channel show had a segment in which the topic of the "assault weapons" ban came up.  He punctuated his support for renewing the ban with a display of sheer ignorance of the issue by saying something to the effect of "nobody needs bazookas or machine guns."  Apparently he is not aware that this ban has nothing to do with machine guns or bazookas, which are both heavily regulated under other laws.

In addition, there were reportedly other comments that indicated he believed "assault weapons" were somehow more powerful than traditional-looking firearms, which is, of course, false.

Confusion over "assault weapons" vs. machine guns is nothing new, and is even somewhat understandable, given the relentless attempts by anti-gun politicians and lobbying organizations to stealthily nurture this notion.  However, it is inexcusable for the host of a news show to speak so authoritatively on a subject he is clearly not knowledgeable on, leading a countless number of viewers to believe something that is not true.

Several months ago, CNN did a report on "assault weapons" in which they falsely characterized these firearms as machine guns and as being more powerful than other guns.  The overwhelming number of e-mails from offended viewers played a major role in forcing them to air a "clarification" story a day or two later.  Let's hope Mr. O'Reilly has enough integrity to admit his mistake too.

Send your comments to [email protected].

http://www.awbansunset.com
http://www.awbansunset.com/forums
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I was sooo pissed off at him. As of this afternoon, his show will no longer be seen at my home. EVER!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I emailed him.  Perhaps this will result in his doing a real story of the issue with the FACTS.

I doubt it, but to do nothing is to give up

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Emails sent! I don't get Fox and didn't get to see his show, but I've heard before that he is for the ban.

If he's spewing incorrect info, report him to the NRA. I don't have the link but I believe the NRA has people who will look into jerks like O'Reilly and expose his BS!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#4]
He is an ignorant fucker re: this issue.  Just saw it myself.

Sheesh...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Email sent,

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://flymeaway.net/images/cloned.jpg[/img]

Dupe [:D]
[url]http://www.weaponforums.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=218015[/url]

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Email send. Polite but firm....
Let's hope he comes around on the issue.
Feels like the Alamo. [:(]

LRdrvr
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I like Bill and go with him on 3/4 of the issues, but I think he should learn more on this topic before giving judgement. I think we all should send e-mails to him and get him to do a story on this. I'm not going to stop watching him because I dont share his view on this matter. I do think he his about the only
man in the bizz who realy cares, but Im not blind. He is in that bizz for the money like everyone ealse, hell if I could I would to then maybe I could realy aford the big boy toys. lol.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Emails sent! I don't get Fox and didn't get to see his show, but I've heard before that he is for the ban.

If he's spewing incorrect info, report him to the NRA. I don't have the link but I believe the NRA has people who will look into jerks like O'Reilly and expose his BS!
View Quote

Ok, I have the link I mentioned above. Someone who saw the show should report O'Reilly to the NRA taskforce.

The link: [url]http://www.awbansunset.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=738[/url]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#11]
He really irritates me when he supposedly researches some subjects but not others, like this one.  Makes you wonder if he or his staff actually do very thorough jobs researching other issues he highlights on his show.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Just got the email from awbansunset.com as well.  What a bunch of shit.  Tell everybody you know about this and get the emails flowing to fox.  We can't let shit like this happen!!!  

Just sent an email from every email addy I have.  Dam this pisses me off!!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Done,  I did it in a polite way and let him know I was a po-po.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Hope he comes out tomorrow saying he was wrong about AWB and changes his stance.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#15]
E-mail sent. This crap has got to stop. [pissed]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#16]
[b]HEY!!![/b]

Ain't this a clone topic???  [:D]

ibtl
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Fair and Balanced my butt! Try False and Biased...Email sent
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:47:47 PM EDT
[#18]
O'Reilly is a self-important horse's ass with an over-inflated ego. He doesn't give a damn about anything but his ratings.[;D]

[i][b]Edited to add: Email sent![/b][/i]

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#19]
He did say to Larry Pratt that if Larry could back up and debate his reasons for opposing the ban he could come back and they'd do a story on it.

I think we need to put pressure on Bill to have NRA, GOA and maybe some others on to debate the issue.  Maybe even have firearms present to show example.  Hell, maybe even have Bill out to do the story at an arfcom shoot with some of the best debating members.

Stone
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:30:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh boy is he going to enjoy my email. If he ever reads it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:42:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Well I just sent off my email too.  Not that he will probably read it, but I would sure love it if he did, as I am sure all of us would like to have him read ours.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:13:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I read his interview in Playboy awhile back.  Hard to imagine anyone confusing him as being conservative across the board.

I watched his show a few times.  He covers up his ignorance but shouting people down, just like Bill Maher.  To his credit I did see a couple of interviews where he tore up the guest based on the facts.  However, I can barely stomach listening to him.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:16:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Come on people keep the emails flowing to Fox.  I already report this the NRA lets see if they do anything.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:27:54 AM EDT
[#24]
O'Reilly is an idiot....
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#25]

email sent...

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:35:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the info.  I sent an e-mail.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
O'Reilly is an idiot....
View Quote

Amen, my brothah!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I sent this e-mail to O'Reilly early this morning, before logging on here:

Dear Mr. O'Reilly,

The "Assault Weapons Ban" has nothing to do with private ownership of "bazookas" or "machine guns" as you implied last night.  The sale/possession of these items has been under federal control since the implementation of the National Firearms Act of 1934.  With the investigative resources at your disposal, there's simply no excuse for you to continue to spread disinformation.  I would expect this from CNN, but not from Bill O'Reilly.

The firearms covered by the "Assault Weapons Ban" are in fact nothing more than semi-automatic variants of military firearms.  Many firearms enthusiasts prefer them due to their simplicity of operation, reliability, and cosmetic appeal.  They are in fact, less powerful than many common sporting arms.  It may also interest you to know that edged weapons are used to commit crimes far more frequently than are these firearms.

You, Mr. O'Reilly, have a responsibility to your audience to arm yourself with the facts.

Respectfully,

(name and town)
View Quote

There are many advocating a boycott of O'Reilly, but I don't agree with that idea - yet.  Bill O'Reilly has two things we need, a large audience and a big mouth.  I've heard him admit that he was wrong and change his position before.  Let's [i]try[/i] to educate him and get him on our side.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#29]
email sent
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:49:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Here's my e-mail:

Dear Mr. Oreily:

I am a forty one year old security professional, a father of three and a happily married man for 20 years.  I consider myself a pretty ordinary guy.  I also own several so called assault rifles.  I own them because I am a student of history.  When I look at pictures of the jews being slaughtered in Germany or read stories about "white" farmers being driven off their farms in Rhodesia, it makes me realize how important it is for people to be able to defend themselves and their families against a range of threats.  It's hard to believe something like that could happen here in the USA.  Maybe not today, but what about in ten years, twenty years, fifty years... When guys like you and me are "minority land owners".  I own so called assault weapons because I am man enough to want to take responsibility for my own safety and security.  I also want my children to be able to defend themselves and their families someday.  You're a very intelligent man, but I think you're missing the point on assault weapons.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:10:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I was watching him last night when he did it, and I about spit milk all over my computer. Then I darn near shot my tv in my office. (note to self, dont watch O'Reilly with the Kimber on the desk) He was about as far off base as one could be. Complete absurdity.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#32]
I really hate cultural icons like this.  Oreily, Limbaugh, Coulter, et al.  Each of them may have a few good things to say, but the all out worship of these people by some makes me ill...and then the big poobah makes an ass of himself.  You would think people would learn.

Think for yourselves.

I've got nothing against listening to your favortie conservative talking head, but #1 for them is they are entertainers and media wonks working for that paycheck.  I know some folks who can't have an original thought or conversation, they just parot Rush all the time.  "Rush says...", "On Rush yesterday..."

Blah blah blah. [rolleyes]

Scott
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Come on people keep the emails flowing to Fox.  I already report this the NRA lets see if they do anything.
View Quote

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad someone that saw it first hand reported it to the NRA. Even though I did not see it for my self I'm reporting it also, based off what I've heard.

This BS has to stop! Emails to FOX News are good too, but we need the help of the GOA and programs like what the NRA has going! The NRA can hopefully put the needed pressure on O'Reilly to report the TRUTH!

Let's see!

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:24:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Have you noticed tht 95% of the politicians that are "anti-gun" have never owned a gun. How can they say that this or that gun is a "bad" gun unless they've owned/shot it for themselves? I think they watch too many movies. They think that just because an AK looks like the "real thing" that it is. If they'd pick up a semi-auto AK and shoot at some milk jugs at 100 yards then take a good single shot with a scope and shoot the same milk jugs they just might change their tune about how "deadly" the AK's are. Sure, you can throw 30 rounds down range fast, but only hits count. When you're shooting a semi-auto as fast as you can pull the trigger there's a very good chance that you're not going to hit squat. One properly placed bullet from a single shot is worth more then all the noise made by 30 rounds from an AK where they all miss.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#35]
[size=4]...and that is from the "no-spin" zone.[/size=4]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:46:08 AM EDT
[#36]
eMAIL Sent.

Basically told him his responsibility to his viewers. I had asked him to do another piece on the AWB with the facts and no spin.

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#37]
he will be hearing from me today
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Tell him he sounds like Al Frankin. That will get his attention!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#39]
He often shows statist tendancies!  However, this time, he may simply be uninformed as to the application of the ban that is usually discussed.  "Banners" always try and give the public the image that the ban stops the US from becoming a Somalia.  He's bitten the PR hook.  Someone who purports to be 'No Spin' should do better research prior to going off like that.

Besides, a couple of days ago, he blasted those who were two-faced by using the tactic of "BUT".  He said he was angry because these people said things like "I support the war on terror, BUT...."  Well, this time, he said he supports the 2nd Ammendment, BUT!!!

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Bill:

You pissed me off a little with your comments about "bazooka's" and "no one needs assault rifles", Your better than that, you know the true reason for the 2nd amendment. I expect comments like that from Shummer or Hitlery, NOT O'reilly, sorry I had to hear them. I hope you realize that the second amendment is for the true patriots of this country, and serves a critical role in the balance of power between the governors and the governed.

While it is important to ensure safety for all it can't be at the expense of Liberty.

"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#41]

E-mail SENT!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Has a transcript of the show been posted on the FNC website yet? I looked but didn't see anything. But then with the fire you guys are giving them they may not put it up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:37:00 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm with Scottman. Blowhard loudmouths who happen to espouse certain conservative ideals are still blowhards. It also doesn't mean they are true "conservatives," either. These people are in the entertainment industry, they are neither educators nor pedagogists. They are paid based upon how many people listen to them, not based upon how much sense they make or even if what they say is true.

Remember that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Wobblin Gobblin, I'm startin to think you and I are brothers or somethin...

[;)]

Glad to be in agreement with you! (and so often!)
Scott
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#45]
email sent!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#46]
email sent.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#47]
EM sent
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Email sent
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#49]
If you want to get your letter read on O'Reilly, it must be 2 things:

Short and Pithy

Also, you need to include 2 things:

Name and Town.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#50]
E-mail sent
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top