Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 12:17:54 PM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183031,00.html

Eight Katrina Refugees Arrested in Texas Murder Cases

Friday, January 27, 2006

HOUSTON — Eight Hurricane Katrina refugees who are members of rival New Orleans gangs were arrested in connection with 11 recent murders and other violent crimes, Houston police said Friday.

Investigators with the newly formed Houston Police Gang Murder Squad said they are still looking for three suspects.

"The safety of the city of Houston, its citizens and as well as some of the evacuees depends on us arresting these individuals as soon as possible," Police Chief Harold Hurtt said.

The Houston-area crime rate spiked sharply in the last few months of 2005, and police officials have attributed some of that to Katrina refugees.

The 11 suspects are also accused of aggravated robbery, kidnapping and other violent crimes.

Nine of the murders happened in the city's high-crime southwest side, while the other two were in the Houston suburb of Pasadena. All the murders have occurred since November.

Authorities said they believe the killings can be attributed to rival gangs who have set up shop in Houston after evacuating New Orleans following the Aug. 29 hurricane.

© Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Copyright 2006 FOX News Network, LLC. All rights reserved.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
How many cities were these people relocated to?  I sure hope someone kept track...

ETA Oh never mind, the crime stat spikes will tell us.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Well as long as they are only killing each other, I really don't see what the big fuss is about.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well as long as they are only killing each other, I really don't see what the big fuss is about.

that was my first thought too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
New Orleans's murder rate before Katrina was insane, it had something like 8x as many murders as NY City, a place with a population about 15x larger than New Orleans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top