Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2013 5:22:51 PM EDT

http://dnr.state.co.us/newsapp/press.asp?PressId=8582

Colorado Parks and Wildlife has arrested and charged four men from South Carolina suspected of  violating a variety of wildlife laws, including the use of poisons and toxicants with their archery equipment, hunting black bears over bait, hunting after legal hunting hours and illegal possession of big game wildlife.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:24:15 PM EDT
Good.

Poachers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:25:21 PM EDT
F those guys.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:26:49 PM EDT
Keep them, we don't want them back.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:30:02 PM EDT
I am not a hunter myself, but I fully support hunter's rights and the traditions of hunting.

However, my concept of hunting is a manly sport in which the hunter stalks his prey, and makes every effort to ensure a quick and clean kill when he finds it, so the animal does not suffer.

To me, placing "bait" and hiding in a bush someplace is not sporting at all, and seems quite chickenshit.

Ditto using poisoned arrows - that seems like something a total loser would do.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:32:20 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep them, we don't want them back.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:37:24 PM EDT
Quoted:
I am not a hunter myself, but I fully support hunter's rights and the traditions of hunting.

However, my concept of hunting is a manly sport in which the hunter stalks his prey, and makes every effort to ensure a quick and clean kill when he finds it, so the animal does not suffer.

To me, placing "bait" and hiding in a bush someplace is not sporting at all, and seems quite chickenshit.

View Quote

Totally legal to hunt bears over bait here...that's the way it's typically done.
Mountain kitties are hunted with dogs.

I see nothing wrong with the practice and neither species is in short supply.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:44:09 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

I have no issue with bait nor with poison arrows - IIRC poison arrows are still legal here in MS, or were up until a few years ago anyway - the issue, to me, is one of fairness to other hunters. Wildlife resources are public, and when you break the rules to hunt, you cheat your fellow rule-keeping hunters; you also give hunting a bad image to non-hunters.

(If you think wildlife shouldn't be public, I won't argue with you - but 'should be' and 'is' are two different things)

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:03:21 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

So when you hunt over a patch of berries or a salmon stream WTF do you think that is?  

Set up along a travel route or a trail?

The thing is sport is retaliative.  The guy who uses a Osage orange bow and flint points thinks you are a pussy, the guy who uses a lance to spear his prey thinks that guy is a pussy, and the guy who kills animals with his bare hands thinks everyone is a pussy.  I can tell you have done very little hunting and have no clue WTF you are talking about.

Now the poachers suck.  The poison arrows are funny because they will more than likely kill themselves when one of the dip shits loses an arrow shard in the animal and cuts himself on it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:06:37 PM EDT
Quoted:

I can tell you have done very little hunting...
View Quote

I got that impression, too, mostly from the first sentence where he said he's not a hunter.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:08:44 PM EDT
Quoted:

I got that impression, too, mostly from the first sentence where he said he's not a hunter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can tell you have done very little hunting...

That was my point

Maybe he should STFU about things he has no clue about.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:10:37 PM EDT
hunting over bait is no different than fishing
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:18:45 PM EDT
Quoted:

I have no issue with bait nor with poison arrows - IIRC poison arrows are still legal here in MS, or were up until a few years ago anyway - the issue, to me, is one of fairness to other hunters. Wildlife resources are public, and when you break the rules to hunt, you cheat your fellow rule-keeping hunters; you also give hunting a bad image to non-hunters.

(If you think wildlife shouldn't be public, I won't argue with you - but 'should be' and 'is' are two different things)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:18:52 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Fuck poachers. And poisoned arrows? Not only is that very unsporting, that just makes them gigantic pussies in my book.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:27:54 PM EDT
Quoted:

This. Fuck poachers. And poisoned arrows? Not only is that very unsporting, that just makes them gigantic pussies in my book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The funny thing is that 'poison arrows' aren't really anything special - they allow you to recover an animal, sometimes, if you make a bad hit that would result in losing the critter with a conventional broadhead. They were never popular even here where they are (were?) legal.

Y'all non-hunters wouldn't know that, though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:38:59 PM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote

wrong on all accounts.
humans have been hunting over bait since they decided to kill the first prey animal.
the use of arrows tipped with poison is as old as arrows themselves.

the use of a "pod" is legal is some states.
Top Top