Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2013 3:43:04 PM EDT
Hey all, so I just found out why I didnt get hired this last hiring cycle with my local PD. Apparantly I pissed some people off while I was on the reserves. Thats all that was said, no specifics were brought up. They just re-opened the hiring cycle as they didnt hire anyone this last time, should I re-apply, and if so how do I meand the issues that I caused?! I mean, I know one guy for sure That I pissed off, but i had thought we had fixed that issue as I had went straight to him when I found out i fucked up. He let me have it, I appologized, we went on about our business.

I need some solid advice guys. this is my dream, and Right now theres a brick wall in front of me. Moving out of state isnt the best option right now, and I really want to work in this department. So, if you guys were me, how would you go about fixing this? I know it was my mouth, i probably said some shit that came off wrong, I have a bad habbit of talking too much...
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Saying precisely what you did might help you get better advice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Pending any UCMJ?
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not sure what I did as it was not told to me, just that I had pissed some people off.  I know my mouth has gotten me into trouble before, so I am assuming I said something that pissed them off. I am not sure if calling the officer I have had the issues with in the past will get me anywhere or if it will degrade the situation further.

Also, this is all before I went to the Security Forces Academy and became a father. Those two things have changed me, and for the better. I was cocky, and felt entitled before, and im sure it came off that way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pending any UCMJ?
View Quote

? by reserves i meant reserve police officer, not Military reserves.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't want to move and you have an idea who you might be holding you back try and talk to them individually and let them know how  time has changed you and that you would like a chance to work for the department. If you are sincere they should be able to see it also if you are not they will catch that as well. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Only you know what you did to piss them off and only you know if you think they can get over it. But doing nothing gets you nowhere.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
awesome, thanks! My cousin is hounding me to apply to Roswell, NM PD (her husband is on there), has been for a year now. Maybe I'll finally put in my app
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
....and I really want to work in this department.
View Quote

Don't know why, seems like you'd be working with people who are already your enemies.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think you found out why you weren't hired.

Ask whoever is in charge of the hiring process what is up and if you should even try to reapply.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Law enforcement is a tight knit world.  Piss people off...and you don't have a chance......call it unfair or whatever you want but that's the way it is.  

You have probably burned your chances at that agency.  Move on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#10]
If you know who you pissed off, it is time for a sit down man talk. Go talk to them. A phone call is weak, so do it in person. Either way, your background at another agency may uncover the same issue.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Being liked by your peers and current/future bosses is extremely important for a healthy career.  Move on to a different agency, not one that's too close, since people know other people from shops close by.  And fix your attitude.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Reserves is always a double edged sword. On the one hand it gets yer foot in the door. On the other hand, spend enough time doing the job, yer bound to ruffle a few feathers. Sometimes coming in as an unknown means no one has preconseived notions about you...there will be plenty of time to piss of coworkers, but by that time it's too late and yer already in

I'd say move on and apply elsewhere. My agency has plenty of other agencies former reserves who didn't get picked up by their former agencies and are good troops with us.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't know why, seems like you'd be working with people who are already your enemies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Find another dept.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#14]
You were a reserve officer for the department and didn't get hired full time?

If that is the case, it is time to move on.  Good luck.  David
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Never mind
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 1:53:02 AM EDT
[#16]
You need to move on to another agency.  If your seeking full time let me recommend looking into larger agencies.  Preferably an agency with civil service.

Trust me big and civil service is the way to go. I wasted 6 years playing around with two smaller agencies before going to a MASSIVE agency.  Since I've been at the large dept I have been so happy!  They let you do your job, and you can hide from politics. I try to stay out of trouble by staying out of politics.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:42:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm with this guy. If you put in significant hours, then did not get hired....and the spot didn't get filled, then you will not in all likely hood get hired the second time. There is something about you that they didn't like. It rubbed them bad enough they didn't fill the spot at all. Time to move on.

I got lucky and got on where I put in significant time.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 3:36:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm with this guy. If you put in significant hours, then did not get hired....and the spot didn't get filled, then you will not in all likely hood get hired the second time. There is something about you that they didn't like. It rubbed them bad enough they didn't fill the spot at all. Time to move on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt put in a Huge amount of time, had only gotten in 40 hours of ride along and gotten through three of the modules for the reserves, before leaving for the Security Forces Academy. When I got back, I applied, never heard anything back(this was in may of this year), heard yesterday about me pissing some people off.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 5:08:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Move onto somewhere else.  This career field is like high school, you're classified/stereotyped/judged unfairly no matter what.  And we all talk with other agencies, anywhere else you apply will ask why the agency you reserved/interned didn't hire you.  If talking too much is something you know is a problem, then realize it will jam you up in a paramilitary structured organization.  Best thing to do is turn it into a maturity/life lesson and make it a "new" strength.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:05:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:16:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I didnt put in a Huge amount of time, had only gotten in 40 hours of ride along and gotten through three of the modules for the reserves, before leaving for the Security Forces Academy. When I got back, I applied, never heard anything back(this was in may of this year), heard yesterday about me pissing some people off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at it from their perspective.  You started the reserve program then bailed early to go to the Air Force.  You basically told them the Air Force was more important.  Their thinking is we hire this guy and he gets called up again, we're stuck being short handed.  With the tempo of operations in the last decade a lot of employers are skittish about hiring reserves/national guard members.  As competitive as most LE jobs are, they can always find someone that fits their profile just a little better.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#22]
If it was me, I would try to find employment somewhere else.

I had a similar experience during a polygraph; told the guy doing it "I don't know sir, that's your job, not mine" when he asked what I thought he should write on the paperwork for human resources. I didn't mean that, of course, but that's the way it was worded when it came out of my mouth and that was the end of that.

However, I eventually got hired on somewhere else a few months later.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you considered, in lieu of knowing a specific officer who had an issue, making an appointment with the officer in charge of the reserve unit?

If any of the FT guys had a beef, odds are they provided it when the liaison asked "So Bob... how'd it go with USAF007 tonight?"

He may not be willing to disclose who or what in specifics, but you could try dealing with him as a first step.

After that, the only chance you might have (lacking any specifics as to instance or offended person) is to explain to the Board as you did here, that you realize you may have had an attitude previously that has negatively influenced some members of the Department.

However, since then life has given you a bit of an adjustment; you've realized that G-d gave you two eyes, two ears and one mouth, and you've learned to use them in proper proportions until you're asked to offer an opinion.

And then follow through on it. Not a single smart-alec comment, show up 20 minutes early for shift, buy lunch for your FTO or whatever it takes to beat that rap - if you get in.

It's worth a try, but as others here have said, somebody somewhere has already put a crosshairs on you.

Now for the bad news.

That targeting info - accurate or horribly skewed - could unofficially stain your jacket with other agencies in the area. While those other agencies should consider your board interview and outside references more than the opinion of  a single disgruntled person in another agency, when I tell the boots they're entering one of the largest dysfunctional families in existence I'm only mostly joking.

Just like families, PD and FD members from different departments gossip, and if you've gotten a rep as a troublemaker or attitude in Dept X, and the guy with the problem knows guys in neighboring departments Y or Z, he might offer his biased opinion if asked.

This shouldn't be considered an "abandon all hope" sign, just a strongly worded no-BS advisory.

Good luck.

View Quote

Thank you sir. It is greatly appreciated. I have apps out in 5 different departments, 2 being out of state. Ill talk with the LT(this is a VERY small PD, 14 guys total) and see what he has to say to me. He wont lie, or sugar coat it, so ill know exactly where i stand
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hey all, so I just found out why I didnt get hired this last hiring cycle with my local PD. Apparantly I pissed some people off while I was on the reserves. .....I need some solid advice guys. this is my dream, and Right now theres a brick wall in front of me. Moving out of state isnt the best option right now, and I really want to work in this department. So, if you guys were me, how would you go about fixing this? I know it was my mouth, i probably said some shit that came off wrong, I have a bad habbit of talking too much...
View Quote

I'd say that you've damaged your rep in this agency

The best you can do is get hired elsewhere, prove yourself and then lateral back to the agency you want to work with
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I agree with the others... move on.  Even if you get hired you will NOT be starting off from square 1... any little thing you do might set someone off... why take the chance.  Sounds like you learned something from this so take it and move on to another place where you will at least have a fresh start.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thank you sir. It is greatly appreciated. I have apps out in 5 different departments, 2 being out of state. Ill talk with the LT(this is a VERY small PD, 14 guys total) and see what he has to say to me. He wont lie, or sugar coat it, so ill know exactly where i stand
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you considered, in lieu of knowing a specific officer who had an issue, making an appointment with the officer in charge of the reserve unit?

If any of the FT guys had a beef, odds are they provided it when the liaison asked "So Bob... how'd it go with USAF007 tonight?"

He may not be willing to disclose who or what in specifics, but you could try dealing with him as a first step.

After that, the only chance you might have (lacking any specifics as to instance or offended person) is to explain to the Board as you did here, that you realize you may have had an attitude previously that has negatively influenced some members of the Department.

However, since then life has given you a bit of an adjustment; you've realized that G-d gave you two eyes, two ears and one mouth, and you've learned to use them in proper proportions until you're asked to offer an opinion.

And then follow through on it. Not a single smart-alec comment, show up 20 minutes early for shift, buy lunch for your FTO or whatever it takes to beat that rap - if you get in.

It's worth a try, but as others here have said, somebody somewhere has already put a crosshairs on you.

Now for the bad news.

That targeting info - accurate or horribly skewed - could unofficially stain your jacket with other agencies in the area. While those other agencies should consider your board interview and outside references more than the opinion of  a single disgruntled person in another agency, when I tell the boots they're entering one of the largest dysfunctional families in existence I'm only mostly joking.

Just like families, PD and FD members from different departments gossip, and if you've gotten a rep as a troublemaker or attitude in Dept X, and the guy with the problem knows guys in neighboring departments Y or Z, he might offer his biased opinion if asked.

This shouldn't be considered an "abandon all hope" sign, just a strongly worded no-BS advisory.

Good luck.

You don't want to start your career at an agency with 14 officers. It will be small and low crime and you'll be bored to death and not get the experience you need and the politics will sour you or potentially ruin your career.

ESPECIALLY If your mouth gives people the wrong impression or gets you into trouble. I'm not saying this condescendingly because I am you and I've been where you're at and I am where you're at now, but you need to go somewhere big where theres a 1000 faces and you can be lost in a sea of uniforms and union protected.

Young opinionated and confident  guys never do well at small agencies.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#28]

I'd need more info but it sounds like you got turned down over some petty bullshit.  If you had a set of tits and a tight ass, or that of a certain skin color, you would've gotten the job, no problem.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:56:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This. Find another dept.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Find another dept.

As many others have said. This sounds like a small agency and you already have a "reputation" You will have to go through a lot of crap and spend a lot of time to get away from it. Try elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:05:47 AM EDT
[#30]
thanks guys, it means a lot you guys taking the time to give me advice. I have a few apps out to different states now, hopefully ill hear back soon. One is in New Mexico, one is in Florida, and one in MO.  The wife is OK with moving, and at this point we will move almost wherever just to get away from here and get into LE.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#31]
You received a lot of good insight. It looks like your options are A. Go to the person who makes the final decision and get some spefics then decide if it's mendable. B. Go to another Department with a clean slate.

LMK if you go to the Roswell Department, I spend a fair amount of time in the General Area.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Sometimes when you are blackballed you are blackballed.   Find a different agency to work with, or wait until those guys are gone.  Most cops that are assholes  carry grudges forever.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You received a lot of good insight. It looks like your options are A. Go to the person who makes the final decision and get some spefics then decide if it's mendable. B. Go to another Department with a clean slate.

LMK if you go to the Roswell Department, I spend a fair amount of time in the General Area.
View Quote

Roger that. I send off my app this week, been hung up finding a notory
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top