Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 7:59:37 PM EDT
After nearly 6 months of informal searching and more than 15 T100's, I found the one I want and agreed to buy it tonight.  It is a '96 Xtracab 4x4 SR5 manual tranny, silver w/ 124k miles, tow package.  Runs perfectly but it has ugly wheels, really dark tint (I don't like tint) and some cheap CD player that I don't like (I would prefer a factory Toyota CD player over it).  I talked him down from $8999 to $8500.  Axle code is A10A and it has 31's.  It is a private seller that knew the original owner very well and talked him into selling it.  Dealer maintained and has had all recalls.  All it needs is some different wheels and some good cleaning.  Brakes, clutch, engine, everything is perfect and the interior is well taken care of.  I couldn't even get it to do the T100 steering stop rubbing noise when turning. I also need to take off the ugly and beat up diamond plate bed side protectors and possibly extend the rhino lining up on top of the bed sides to cover up any holes or rust from then being mounted.

I drove  '96 exactly the same except with 170k miles tonight before finding the one I bought and this one had tons of rust, had been in a large accident (door plate and underhood plates and stickers were missing) and it ran really slow (especially for a manual).  That dealer wanted $8500.

I plan to swap wheels with my '97 Tacoma and sell the Tacoma with the ugly double spoke T100 wheels on it.

Here are some bad pictures of it:

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
T-100s are nice..... how many were made? What years?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I recall the only issue was that it was considered underpowered, but lots of folks thought it was fine.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Opps double post
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I recall the only issue was that it was considered underpowered, but lots of folks thought it was fine.

Not bad, 190hp/220ft-lbs of torque, will tow 5200 lbs.  It will seat 6 and get 20 mpg on the hwy, the owner says he always gets 18 mpg no matter if it's floored or babied, mixed city/hwy.  I didn't want a V8 because of poor gas mileage.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
T-100s are nice..... how many were made? What years?

They are hard to find because most people seem to keep them past 200k miles and they didn't sell well because they didn't have the V8 that most full-size truck buyers wanted.  I drove one with 232k miles and it still ran great.

They were made from '93-'98 but in Xtracab form only from '95-'98
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope yours serves you as well as mine has. I bought mine in '98, with 27,000 miles on the clock for $16k. It is a '96 SR5 Xtra Cab 4WD Auto, and the only issue that I have seen is the front brakes.  Had to replace them 3 times so far in 114,000 miles. Still on the original rotors though.  The exhaust pipe from the cat converter back needs replacing at the moment, but other than that it is still mint.  I was surprised that it passed inspection last week, but everything checked out when it was plugged into the emissions test computer.  

I tow quite a bit with it.  It may not have the power of a F350 Diesel, but it serves me well.  Have towed 5000+ lbs of landscape boulders on a single axle trailer many times. As long as it is balanced well, it will bring the load home.  Don't load a trailer rear heavy with this truck, or you will be all over the road.  Scared myself a few times before I learned my lesson about proper load balance.  

You may want to note that I recently received a recall letter from Toyota pertaining to the steering shaft.  I need to follow up on that one.  The only other recall that I am aware of was related to the head gasket.  Mine never leaked, so I didn't have to address that issue.  I never have to add any type of fluids to this truck between routine service, and the garage floor shows no signs of any leak.  It has been a dandy.  

Good luck.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not bad, 190hp/220ft-lbs of torque, will tow 5200 lbs.  It will seat 6 and get 20 mpg on the hwy, the owner says he always gets 18 mpg no matter if it's floored or babied, mixed city/hwy.  I didn't want a V8 because of poor gas mileage.

I had a 2005 Tundra for a while for a Demo car that was an extended cab 4x4 with the V8 and consistently got between 17-19 mpg.  A very fuel efficient truck.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:24:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice truck.  Those 3.4 engines are great; it'll last you a long time.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:34:27 AM EDT
[#9]
whatever floats your boat on a 10 year old pickup
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a 2005 Tundra for a while for a Demo car that was an extended cab 4x4 with the V8 and consistently got between 17-19 mpg.  A very fuel efficient truck.

17-19 mpg?  That's unusual.  Every single Tundra owner I know or have talked to gets a max of 16 w/ all hwy and an average of 13-15 mpg in real world use.  My 2 friends w/ lifted Tundras have only gotten 13 mpg as their max.  Everyone Tundra owner I've talked to says that they were very disappointed in the real world gas mileage that they get.

If they can consistently get 18 mpg out of a V8 Tundra then that will likely be my next truck after this one
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on your find, I've always liked the T100. Not too many around here anymore, there is a really clean one I see occasionally in my AO that looks identical to yours.

I've got the 3.4 in my 4x4 Taco, it is a strong engine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
whatever floats your boat on a 10 year old pickup

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]
My tundra has gotten 18mpg or better on every tank since it was new, except when I was towing or really loaded down bad. Just don't use a TRD or K&N filter, those totally screw your mileage up on these engines for some reason.

Best tank so far was 21mpg on an empty highway run.

'01 4wd V8 auto standard cab.

Gets better mileage than my '89 v6 xtracab 4X did.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Congrats!  Those trucks are bullet proof!  I just wish I fit comfortably into one!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:42:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats on the purchase. Im in the same position as you were except I want the "bombproof" 22R motor. I love the mid-late 80's Toyota Pickups.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Congrats on the purchase. Im in the same position as you were except I want the "bombproof" 22R motor. I love the mid-late 80's Toyota Pickups.

While underpowered in most vehicles, the 22RE fuel injected 2.4 liter is one of the most reliable 4 clylinders although I have found the 2.7 liter 4 cylinder to actually be just as reliable and much more powerful (150 hp/177 ft-lbs.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top