[#2]
UXO: Unexploded Ordinance.

No.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Plenty!!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You know military lingo for unexploded ordinance!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Oooooooo, ive made some, does that count?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Question, if you were to find some UXO artillery or m203 rounds, what would be the legalities of that?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Question, if you were to find some UXO artillery or m203 rounds, what would be the legalities of that?

Im a stickler for "what they dont know wont hurt them".
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I relise that and I also relise that posting about finding said ordinances would not be the smartest thing in the world. But would it be illegal to own duds?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:40:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Leave the fucking M203 were they lie, because chances are they WILL kill you!!!!!!!!!   In fact, leave all UXO's the fuck alone, they are just waiting to send a Darwin Candidate on to the trophy phase.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright, because my grandpa up north lives right by an old dupont testing round, bunkers are still there, I found an old one that was blow in half. Was wondering if it would be worth it to go treasure hunting. I know how the arming/trigger system works on an M203 and relise how they could pose a threat if messed with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Fox, one would want NOTHING to do with those golden easter eggs that happen to be 40mm in diameter.  Picking one up, kicking it, stepping on it, etc is a good way to get deaded!

Artillery, well, there wouldn't be enough left of you to fill a ziploc sandwich bag.  Nice knowing ya.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Fox, finding shit does not necessarily mean keeping it!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Alright, because my grandpa up north lives right by an old dupont testing round, bunkers are still there, I found an old one that was blow in half. Was wondering if it would be worth it to go treasure hunting. I know how the arming/trigger system works on an M203 and relise how they could pose a threat if messed with.

Bad, bad, bad idea treasure hunting in a place like that.
I found plenty of UXO out on the ranges in Graf and Hohenfels, Germany. I made damn  sure to stay clear of them when I did happen upon them though. The only one I ever got too close to was a Stinger we had misfire on a range in Putlos, GE. I was helping the EOD detachment look for it and I tripped over it in the tall grass
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#14]
So me and my brother going into the blasting bunkers and climbing through the hole in the roof is bad? Would they still be intact after 20-30+ years?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Leave the fucking M203 were they lie, because chances are they WILL kill you!!!!!!!!!   In fact, leave all UXO's the fuck alone, they are just waiting to send a Darwin Candidate on to the trophy phase.

+1 leave it to the pros, but when they blow it up, have a video camera and some beer!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 leave it to the pros, but when they blow it up, have a video camera and some beer!

I'll just have to wait 7 years to tell them about it if I ever do find one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So me and my brother going into the blasting bunkers and climbing through the hole in the roof is bad? Would they still be intact after 20-30+ years?

Yes, people still get blown up from WW2 era munitions that were dredged up from the bottom of the ocean
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Fox, do NOT go into an old impact area to go treasure hunting.  Military ordinance is designed to do explode and kill.  That stuff laying around was broken the day it was fired, who the hell knows what state it is in now.  Even temperature changes can set some of that stuff off.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Is it still dupont property? If you enter and it is you are breaking the law, take pics of the ord from a long distance, DO NOT APPROACH and or touch them they can still explode after any time! If you find fragments, they might make for a cool collection though!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You can't even spell realize!

Stay as far away from the energetics as possible, kid. You'll live longer.

And even if you managed to extract the charge, your dumb ass would brag about it, and then your Prom would involve you and Bubba.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Just reading this thread gives me chest pains.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it still dupont property? If you enter and it is you are breaking the law, take pics of the ord from a long distance, DO NOT APPROACH and or touch them they can still explode after any time! If you find fragments, they might make for a cool collection though!

I have the bottom half the warhead of one. I do not beleive the property is owned by Dupont anymore. There used to be a military comm. center there also but they built a small lake where it is now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Fox, if you really are so stupid as to go against the sage advice here, have fun as a vegetable because if you are not lucky and are immediately killed, you will have a hellish existence as a quadraplegiac.  

UXO are NOT TOYS nor are they anything but death.  40mm grenades kill within 20 feet and wound for 100's of feet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Do it.
You're a smart kid.
No, really.
Do it.
I'll pay you for the explosive filler - you just have to dissassemble them for me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'll pay you for the explosive filler - you just have to dissassemble them for me.

Hell no, if it doesn't blow me up, which is a 99.9999999999% posibility I will get busted for trafficing explosives. Either way that would end very badly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell no, if it doesn't blow me up, which is a 99.9999999999%

Actually, with 40mm grenades, I'd give you about a 10% chance.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the bottom half the warhead of one. I do not beleive the property is owned by Dupont anymore. There used to be a military comm. center there also but they built a small lake where it is now.

Is the warhead still live, if not post pics!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:16:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell no, if it doesn't blow me up, which is a 99.9999999999% posibility I will get busted for trafficing explosives. Either way that would end very badly.

For you yea, but not for me.
Don't you ever think about anyone but yourself?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention "ordnance".  Your town may have an ordinance against rooting around looking for ordnance.  If you do go looking though, just drill a hole in whatever you find and heat it over a grill or other heat source, and the HE will run out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to mention "ordnance".  Your town may have an ordinance against rooting around looking for ordnance.  If you do go looking though, just drill a hole in whatever you find and heat it over a grill or other heat source, and the HE will run out.

This is very bad advice.  First you check for "explosivity" with a hammer, then you melt out the HE on a Webber grill. Get it right.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:27:11 PM EDT
[#32]
A serious answer:  if you find UXO don't touch it (not even a little bit), leave the area (carefully, watching for more UXO, that shit travels in herds) and stay away.

If you feel compelled to be highspeed you could mark the area with white engineer tape and call EOD, but that would just encourage you to go looking for trouble.

If you know an area contains UXO, stay the fuck out.

I participated in a funeral for an Az ANG EOD soldier who was killed clearing UXO in Iraq last year.  If it kills professionals it can definitely fuck up a borderline retarded kid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
A serious answer:  if you find UXO don't touch it (not even a little bit), leave the area (carefully, watching for more UXO, that shit travels in herds) and stay away.

If you feel compelled to be highspeed you could mark the area with white engineer tape and call EOD, but that would just encourage you to go looking for trouble.

If you know an area contains UXO, stay the fuck out.

I participated in a funeral for an Az ANG EOD soldier who was killed clearing UXO in Iraq last year.  If it kills professionals it can will definitely fuck up a borderline retarded kid.

fixed it for you...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#34]
usually if it is a caliber I shoot I take it home and pull it apart for the brass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Fox, you might want to watch this video.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Some people are stuck on stupid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Has anyone here ever found UXO?

Yes.  Below is a pic I took last year.  I was riding my bicycle to headquarters.  Almost ran over the thing shown below.  It is a cluster bomblet.  Location: Al Asad Air Base, Iraq.

I called EOD, and they blew it in place.  Too dangerous to move...  Got it all on video.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#39]
None of these were live, but once were.  I suspect some towel head extracted the explosives out of them to make IEDs.

GySgt D in the proper attire for UXO hunting.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Has anyone here ever found UXO?

Yes.  Below is a pic I took last year.  I was riding my bicycle to headquarters.  Almost ran over the thing shown below.  It is a cluster bomblet.  Location: Al Asad Air Base, Iraq.

I called EOD, and they blew it in place.  Too dangerous to move...  Got it all on video.

That be a CBU-97, I'd rank it up with the 40mm "Golden Eggs" and LAW rockets in the don't fuck with category.

The CBU-97 has IIRC dual piezoelectric fuzing mechanism, is a shaped charge munition with a frag sleeve containing zirconium (incendiary - pyrophoric metal).
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Legalities? The stuff is bigtime dangerous, ESPECIALLY 203 rounds...

If you see it, remember what it is, and carefully leave the area to avoid blowing yourself up...

Call the pros, and let them deal with it...

If that's what the military teaches WRT it's own people & UXO, what do you think you should do...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I'll donate the mop
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#43]
A good friend and teammate had his legs blown off by UXO and subsequently died on the bird to Germany.  Don't do it.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Hell, we can't go anywhere here without finding any.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#45]
I almost slammed a tripod into a Daagon missile.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Ahhhh, the memories of deer hunting on Ft. Knox. I can still vividly remember the year we hunted in the impact area for one of the tank ranges. I walked around with my fingers in my ears. Dad didn't think I was near as funny as I thought I was. BTW, what is it with GIs, blanks and fires? It seems every firepit in the manuver areas had blanks in them. Then there was the parachute flare.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Some people just have to learn the hard way.  I've cleaned up a few of them.  Heck, I had an E6 blow his leg off with a Hoffman device.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#48]
There's some UXO up my ass right now.  Care to look?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Some people are stuck on stupid.

Where I work, we make explosives...Trust me, they are not to be fucked with. Not even a little bit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is very bad advice.  First you check for "explosivity" with a hammer, then you melt out the HE on a Webber grill. Get it right.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top