Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2005 10:52:17 PM EDT
I have several legal questions...

Does putting a forward grip on an OA-93 AR15 pistol make it illegal?  

When I got the gun at the dealer, I installed the grip in front of the him...  he never said a word about it.  When I asked, he said, "Probably won't be illegal."  I also thought that with the drop of the AWB, it would also make it legal.

When I showed a friend my setup, he said the forward grip on the pistol was illegal, and I should take it off before I get caught with it on.  He said if the forward grip was on the pistol, it would turn it into a SBR.  I thought that in order for it to be a SBR, I would have to have a buttstock attached to it (OlyArms made sure their pistols can't be configured to accept any buttstocks).

I tried to check the BATF online database for guidelines...  Yeah... goodluck trying to find anything in there.

Anybody have a clue?  If area makes a difference, I live in FL.

Is it also illegal to have a bayo on a pistol... again, on an OA-93 AR15 Pistol...

I have my OA-93 pistol totally decked-out.  I have a lot of accessories on my baby toy.  I figured that having a bayo would complete the look.  Anybody have any idea about this one as well?

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:03:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Putting a forward grip on a pistol makes it an NFA AOW. Before you can do this, you must file a BATF Form 1 with all signatures, accompanying finger-print cards, ...  After you get your approved Form 1 back, then you can legally install the forward grip.

Bayo-lug on a pistol is no problem.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info...  I definitely don't want to break any laws here...

I also have several more questions...  

1.)  Having a Picatinny handguard on the pistol isn't illegal, is it?  It's only for mounting accessories such as a flashlight and laser... no longer a forward grip <sniff>.

2.)  and just for the pure stupidity/enjoyment, I had my 37mm launcher fitted with a picatinny adapter so it can be mounted on anything with a rail.  Would it be illegal (And I know it's overkill) to mount a 37mm to an AR15 pistol (considering the launcher is a non-lethal device) or do I also have to submit a Form 1?

Semper Fi.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Just remember it has got to be UNDER 26" OVER ALL LENGTH with what ever goodys you attach to it, bayonet, 37mm launcher, whatever.
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I would LOVE to see pics of that w the 37mm....
Link Posted: 6/1/2005 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just remember it has got to be UNDER 26" OVER ALL LENGTH with what ever goodys you attach to it, bayonet, 37mm launcher, whatever.

Where did you find this information?  I'd like to see that, because I've been told that there is no length requirement.
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've been told that there is no length requirement.

There may be a state requirement (Example: I think Michigan pistols must be under an OAL limit, other states?), but to clarify the Supreme Court has stated that a pistol with a rifle barrel (>16") installed (ala T/C Contender) is still a legal pistol under FEDERAL law. (US v. Thompson Center, 504 U.S. 505 Hosted by Quarterbore)

As for including accessories in some sort of OAL measuremnt, I am unfamiliar with any other BATF standard than measuring for SBR's, and that must and only uses the permanent Over-All Length.  
If there is something more, Mr. Hoffa, please share the source.

As for...

Quoted:

1.)  Having a Picatinny handguard on the pistol isn't illegal, is it?  

Shouldn't be a problem for it still is a firearm "designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand" 18 USC 921

2.)  and just for the pure stupidity/enjoyment, I had my 37mm launcher fitted with a picatinny adapter so it can be mounted on anything with a rail.  Would it be illegal (And I know it's overkill) to mount a 37mm to an AR15 pistol (considering the launcher is a non-lethal device) or do I also have to submit a Form 1?

I don't think this would change things; Wouldn't mounting the flare attachment to its own pistol grip be the same thing?

Semper Fi.

Semper Fi, Brother.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 6/2/2005 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]
For those that wanted to see the 37mm attachment to my AR15 pistol...  enjoy...

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/428aca30z6d86a44d/chinousmc1979/__sr_/1a2d.jpg?pfheApCBs6kzwu5W

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Coooooooooooollll. the link works
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Coooooooooooollll. the link works

Thanks for the reply...  I'm still trying to figure out how to work this forum.  Since images won't work with me, I'll only be using links instead.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top