Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2002 10:38:22 AM EDT
Fox news just reported that an Artillery unit at Fort Drum shelled a 10th mountain division mess tent. At least 14 wounded and one killed.

Unknown if 10th Mountain set up camp in the impact zone or if the gun bunnies got the wrong co-ordinates. Either way its a career ending mistake for someone.
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2002 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#2]
There are bout 1500 things that can go wrong shooting artillery
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:27:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I have done a few investigations on arty firing incidents, at this point you cannot tell why it happen, Charge or deflection errors are most common with a round going that far off, but there are over 1500 things from small to large that can go wrong in setting up (Laying) a battery, computing data, to shooting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 2:40:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like a short round, had a 105 do a airburst over my bunker in 68. I can still fell the chill just thinking about it.That really sucks.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:19:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Want to bet there is a 2nd Leutenant involved in this somehow?
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 6:56:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually "shorts" are normally caused by the section chief, in one of two way, incorrect charge shot or incorrect quadrant applied.  The FDO (the only Lt normally in the loop) issues a fire order on the charge to be fired, the chief computer and the BCS operator translate that into fire commands, and issues them back to the FDO were he safes them with a safety T prior to be sent to the guns. If going voice, the XO/PL also safes them with a safety T.  The section chief, who also has a safety T and also checks the data, is responsible for the application of firing data.  It sounds as if the ATC and the number 1 name loaded the wrong charge and the section chief didn't catch it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I said it in jest, but I've been there. 2nd LT Evans, B/co 3/77th Armor, engaged machine gun targets with his main gun at Ft Polk, on a cold range, on the way to the firing line from the ammo point.  Main gun was not to be loaded,  LT commanded it anyway.  (M60A3)  6 guys injured by blast, HEP round into some guys house in on post housing. Got to see the Bn commander pull him from the tank by the throat. Another unit from Ft Riley dropped mortar fire onto the civilian airport runway in Manhattan KS. Nice holes but no one hurt. They were almost at right angles to the range fan. 2nd LT there too. Over the years I've been present for around 20-25 training deaths. High explosives and idiots don't mix well.  Tankers and arty  have the best capabilities for offing themselves.
Link Posted: 3/21/2002 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#10]
And then there was the humorous one when we had a short round from a mortar WP no less and it landed right in the middle of the chaplains wash that he had hung out to dry, nobody hurt just a lot of holes in the scivies. Was also around a 175 that the barrel blew up and I mean up I thought that thing would never come down and when the parts started to come out of orbit it sounded just like incoming mortars. Just another day at the office, if Charlie wasn't trying to kill us I guess we thought we would give it a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top