Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2003 4:24:43 AM EDT
Story

EL PASO, Texas (AP) -- Shoshana Johnson, who spent 22 days as a prisoner of war in Iraq after being shot during an ambush, was discharged from the Army on Friday.

"Although I am now leaving the Army, I in no way regret my time in the military," Johnson said in a statement.

Johnson was a cook for the 507th Maintenance Company when it was ambushed in March. She was shot in both ankles and captured with five other soldiers, including Jessica Lynch. Nine soldiers died in the ambush.

"To my fallen comrades and their families, my utmost respect, and gratitude for their sacrifices," Johnson said. "Their memory has made me a better person and they will not be forgotten."

Army officials said Friday that Johnson was being discharged. Calls to the Johnson family and Army officials seeking further comment on her status were not returned Friday.

Johnson, who served for five years, has said the decision to leave was tough. She had planned to spend 20 years in the military like her father, who served in the Gulf War and retired from the Army in 1999.

Johnson was awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and the Prisoner of War Medal for her service in Iraq.

In October, her father accused the Army of unfair treatment after a medical board offered her a smaller disability paycheck than Lynch. Claude Johnson said the financial support Lynch is getting should be provided equally to all soldiers injured in the line of duty.

Family members confirmed that Lynch, snatched from her Iraqi captors on April 1 in a Special Forces rescue, is receiving an 80 percent disability. Johnson, released April 13 with four other American POWs, has been offered 30 percent, Claude Johnson said.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson, who consulted the Johnson family, said in October that race was playing a part in Army's decision. Lynch is white; Johnson is black.

Army officials said at the time that Johnson's payment can be appealed and that race was not an issue.

Military officials said Lynch was hurt after her Humvee was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade and crashed into another vehicle. She suffered multiple broken bones and other injuries and it was four months before she could walk again.

Johnson has a hard time staying on her feet for any period of time and isn't sleeping well, her father said in October. She was shown in an Iraqi video fearfully watching her captors as they peppered her and the other POWs with questions.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:32:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for your service Shoshana and good luck.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thank you for your service Shoshana and good luck.

Tj
View Quote

Amen!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I wanna kick jesse jackson's fuckin teeth in.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck Shoshana, and thanks for putting it all on the line!

I salute you [i]and[/i]  your fallen comrades.

Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Best of luck Shoshana. It's my guess that she has people working on the disability issue, and it will be resolved in her favor.....
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

...yup
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

...yup
View Quote

I get the feeling we would grow old waiting in THAT line...
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#8]
It bugs the hell out of me to hear complaints over the VA disability benefits Lynch is getting compaired to the other POW's.  There is a big reason she is getting 80%, he spine is messed up!!!  I read an article on her, she may have to use "Depends" for the rest of her life as she has no control of her bowels and bladder in addition to she may never walk right again!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's gonna be a line, probably have to take up a collection for dental work so everybody gets a fair shot..

Thanks for your service Shoshana,
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ditto. I also want that soldier to get the treatment she deserves from the military, which she probably isn't.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#12]
She will be the only school lunch lady in Texas with 3 combat related medals. Dont complain about the food kids.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Best of luck Shoshana. It's my guess that she has people working on the disability issue, and it will be resolved in her favor.....
View Quote

Probably and it's sad because it actual makes me resent her on some levels.

It's too bad racists like Jackson and her family are demanding unequitable settelments based upon race alone. It's even more insulting that they suggest it is a matter of equality.

If she had a 80% disability, like Lynch, she would get exactly the same benefit. Shoshana has a 30% disability but will probably end up with the same benefit as someone with more than twoce the disability.

The "financial support Lynch is getting should be provided equally to all soldiers injured in the line of duty" comment by Johnsons father is completely absured. Their are different degrees of injury and disability.

A guy with complete loss of both legs is gonna need a hell of a lot more money and diability than a guy who catches a grenade fragment in his arm and has a complete 100% recovery. And that is why they determine the level of disability when the provide money for recovery.

Of course I expect this lack of 3rd grade intuition from Jackson but it is sad the Mr. Johnson chooses to shame his daughter and insult the US military in a similar fashion. One would have hoped the family of a serviceman, especially a now combat veteran, would have known better.
View Quote

When I got out of the AF a while back we had to have a briefing by a VA rep. He mentioned that [red]loss of a limb is worth 40%.[/red] How the fuck can this broad expect 80% because she was shot in the foot? @%*%*!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell me the story of how she EARNED that bronze star
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same way as a lot of people.
She was there and somebody put her in for it.
Bronze Star is no longer an award for valor.  Get over it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
She will be the only school lunch lady in Texas with 3 combat related medals. Dont complain about the food kids.
View Quote

Amen to that!

Good luck to your future, Johnson!  HOOOAH!
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Same way as a lot of people.
She was there and somebody put her in for it.
Bronze Star is no longer an award for valor.  Get over it.
View Quote

Thats my point. The Army has fucked up the award system. You get a Bronze star for being ambushed and sitting on your fat ass. I didn't see any reports on what she did that made her stand out from her fellow soldiers. Let me guess is it beacuse shes a female? black? Give me a fucking break.

Hell you can get a CIB just being in theartre now, you no longer have to be in direct contact with the enemy.

its bullshit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top