Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 12/12/2013 4:28:35 AM EST
Desperate for an effective treatment for the worst-off patients (including some mentally ill World War I veterans) the VA embraced lobotomy. At the time, tens of thousands of the procedures were being performed in civilian hospitals, a wave inspired by two of lobotomy’s most avid promoters, neurologist Walter Freeman and neurosurgeon James Watts.

Many lobotomy patients exhibited symptoms that might now be classified as PTSD, says Dr. Valenstein, the former VA psychiatrist.

http://projects.wsj.com/lobotomyfiles/

There's a lesson in this somewhere...
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:32:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:

There's a lesson in this somewhere...

View Quote

Yes there is. Never let the government make your healthcare decisions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:36:59 AM EST
It was the state of the art in controlling some types of mental illness in both the public and private medical fields. They thought it was the best option at the time, and so did most of the world.

Today, we consider ourselves evolved and wise, and we chop the dicks off men with mental issues that ask for it. In 50-60 years, I think we'll be seen to be just as barbaric.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:42:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/12/2013 4:42:47 AM EST by DriftPunch]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:
It was the state of the art in controlling some types of mental illness in both the public and private medical fields. They thought it was the best option at the time, and so did most of the world.

Today, we consider ourselves evolved and wise, and we chop the dicks off men with mental issues that ask for it. In 50-60 years, I think we'll be seen to be just as barbaric.
View Quote

Don't forget the anti-vacc crew!

I haven't been hit by a meteor so my meteor repellent must be working! Send those kids to the 3rd world and see if there's no value.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:47:34 AM EST
First post and all that....
Top Top