Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2003 8:58:45 PM EDT
I'm going to get a new truck soon and I really cant decide on which one.  I narrowed it down to these two, a dodge RAM 4x4 single cab with hemi or a F150 4x4 single cab with the 5.4 engine. What do you guys think of these trucks?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If I were buying, those would be my top two choices (except for the cab configuration, I want a crew cab).  I don't think you can go wrong with either one, just a matter of personal preference.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a 2002 RED DODGE RAM 1500.  Obviously you know my answer will be bias.  If you cant DODGE it....RAM it!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it too late to change my answer to "get both"?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
This is easy, F-150.

Watch out, I know Shivan is gonna post you should consider something made buy a Japanese company. Buy American.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
All the new trucks certainly have a nice sense of style about them. They look good enough to drive to the Ritz. I'd go with the Ford. It looks better, IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Dodge!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Son, all you need to know this...(points at 5.7L HEMI) Can you say Hemi? HEEEEMMMI!   Thats my boy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I have been doing alot of truck showing myself the last 4 weeks.  I just about desided on a Chevy....then I saw the Ford Expedition with the 5.4 V8.

Power seats/windows/doors.  
Front and Rear A/C
3 row seating.
4 doors and 4x4
17" tires and rims
Serious heavy duty trans and under carriage.
Kick ass Sterios with 6 CD changer

In short this SUV is so damn big that when you first start it up 4 Spotted Owls die!!

I may be in love.....But the gas mileage does worry me a bit.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I vote Dodge.

Of course I'm a bit biased as I have been driving one since '98.

Actually I just took a test drive in a 2004 Ram with the Hemi and it kicked some serious ass when I reached into its powerband. There was a deal going locally two weeks ago where the dealer added $4500 to the Dodge $2500 rebate for a total of $7000 off sticker on a new 04. If I can get a local dealer to match that I'll have a new Hemi before the year is over.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#10]
F-150 SUPERCREW
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:33:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I own a 97 Ram and it will be the last one I own.  Don't get me wrong it has been a great truck and taken me every where I needed.  However, anytime you have to do maintenance or bodywory they are about double what you will spend on a Ford.  Ford's are much more friendly in that way.  I know Fix Or Repair Daily - blah blah blah.  Fact of the matter is whatever truck you get you are going to have to do some work on it at some point and the maintenance costs on a Dodge are a lot more.
You know what they say in the Dictionary about Dodge - To Avoid!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:58:23 AM EDT
[#12]
As much as Dodge pickups intrigue me with their styling, interior design, and engine choices (most notably the Cummins diesel), I have heard waaay too many horror stories about their reliability.

Overall, it's hard to beat the whole package you get in a Ford pickup. See avatar.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:05:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
As much as Dodge pickups intrigue me with their styling, interior design, and engine choices (most notably the Cummins diesel), I have heard waaay too many horror stories about their reliability.

Mega-Ditto's

Edited to add: If you're giving any consideration to resale or trade-in value, go with the Ford.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:23:48 AM EDT
[#14]
one word....HEMI
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:38:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Ford F-150.

Oh, the Dodge looks sexier.  But here are some things to consider...

1.  Insurance.  Talk with your insurance agent BEFORE buying and get quotes.  You'll find that the Dodge costs more to insure.

2.  Repairs will be easier and less expensive on the Ford.

3.  The Ford has better reliability.  I know I'll get flamed on this one, but look at the Consumer Reports annual auto issue.  The Ford F-150 is consistently rated as one of their top 5 most reliable vehicles.  You'll note that Dodge is also ranked...  in the bottom 10.

4.  The Ford F-150 will hold its value better than the Dodge.

For Dodge:  It looks better.
For Ford:  Less expensive to insure, easier and cheaper to repair, more reliable and has a proven track record of reliability, and it'll hold its value better.

Ford is the way to go!

Mike
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:55:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Ford F-150 Super Cab - I love my 2002.
Nothing really wrong with the Dodge, it's just not my favorite.
Neither one of the trucks are miserly on gas but with that Hemi you'll have to be buying the highest octane most expensive gas at the pump...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:59:38 AM EDT
[#17]
No Ford, ever again, until they admit and correct the mistake they made with the head gaskets and 1996-1998 Windstars, that cost the owners a average of 2,000-5,000 each, and they wont admit it, they settle the cases brought against them when they have to, but the rest the leave hanging.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Dodge HEMI

I am pleased that Ford finally redesigned the F series body style so it doesn't look like a Tundra but like a Dodge Dakota, but having done business with Ford for years, I would rather walk than buy one.

Tj
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm doing the same thing as I write. My 94 Ford F-250 4WD is getting tired and I'm looking. It has serve me well. The only reason to sell it as it's getting hard to stuff the family in a regular cab.

I looked at Dodge and Ford (which has been just about bullet proof). I like the styling Dodge offers but have you looked at their record on their truck line? It's ABYSMAL! Do a search on epinions or look for the class action lawsuits Dodge has. Read about the engine failures. It woke me up.

I purchased a new Concode LXI and I can attest to Dodge's poor service. My leather steering wheel has failed (well fell apart)twice. The first one lasted a liitle more then a year under warranty, the second just a few miles out of warranty at six months and all I get is a "sorry". $400 to replace. Friggen parts are outrageous. I have a trunk spring that failed. It lifts the entire truck a bit when you push the remote. I need to replace it. Guess the cost? $91 dollars! You need to purchase the whole assembly for a $1.00 coiled spring. Screw that.

Now Ford isn't perfect but I've never had problems like I have with my Dodge products. I like Ford's truck line although the styling is a bit clunky and they receive great reviews compared to the Dodge Ram line. I'm looking towards the crewcab's for the room. When did trucks command 42K? Cripes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:40:44 AM EDT
[#20]
If you could get by with a truck that's not NEW new they look for a pre-'99 Ford with the 4.9L(300 straight 6 cyl.).  It's a heck of a good engine, easy to work on, loads of toqure, runs forever(250-300K the norm) and has enough power for a 4x4.  I know it's not the same thing but the wife and I have a '99 Dodge Caravan and it's runs ok but it's still had it's problems. My old '83 Ford just keeps on going(105K miles now), I recently put a head gasket on it, replaced some other stuff(it had sat for a long time and needed some TLC) and now it's running like a champ again, good to go for another 100K.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I just bought a 2001 f150 supercab, 4x4 in mint condition and ALOT of extras.  Im in love, and wouldnt ever go anyway else.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Seriously consider getting the CTD. I own a 2002 Dodge and it has been a fabulous truck and the economy and power are incredible compared to small block and especially big block gas engines. There are two things that you must know before buying a diesel and that is the extra expense for the engine itself and the greater investment in oil and filter service. But, I will never buy another gas engine again. I am even trying to encourage my wife to look for a diesel powered car for her replacment vehicle once her gas guzzling SUV dies. I think the Dodge might have the best warranty in the industry. I make these statments after owning a chevy blazer, ford f-150, gmc 2500, and now a dodge Ram.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Out of those, I'd say dodge. Dodge are my favorite domestic trucks, but my stepdad just got a brand new silverado Z70 4x4 yesterday, and it is pretty damn sweet..
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:00:17 AM EDT
[#24]
One of the guys I hunt with owned a Dodge 4X4 extended cab, got rid of it last year because it was a "repair queen" and spent more time getting fixed than hunting. Soooo....he bought a Ford F350 extended cab diesel. Though he likes it better than the Dodge, he swears that by next deer season he's gonna dump it in favor of a Chevy 4X4 with the DuraMax. This guy works for the local power company and can generally afford WHATEVER truck he decides to buy.(I'm surprised he's not driving a Hummer)Though he grew up a "Chevy man" he decided to give the others a try. This is what happened.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Acording to my buddy in the concrete business the number 1 truck on job sites around here is Ford with Chevy a close second and Dodge a distant 3rd.  His company runs a fleet of F250/350's and they have serveral Chevy's as well.  He spends all day in his truck and even though he likes the Fords, his personal truck is a Chevy because they ride noticibly better than a Ford and both are much more comfortable than a Dodge.

When I made the switch from SUV to pick-up, I looked seriously at all 3 makes 1/2 tons and came real close to buying a Chevy 1500 Crewcab(well it was a GMC)due to the great ride.  In the end a family member was able to get me plan pricing on the Ford, so I upgraded and went with a 250 Crewcab Lariat 4X4 with the 7.3 Liter Powerstroke.  It is a hoss of a truck!!!

After comparing all three models and factoring in my 1st hand Dodge experience with my wifes company car, I would never even consider a Dodge product despite really liking the styling of their trucks. They just don't measure up to the competition.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Toyota!
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I never see GMC mentioned in discussions like this but they are the best truck hands down.  I like both Chevy and GMC but I feel like the GMC is a little better looking truck at this stage of the game.

My $0.02

BBURN
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Here's another idea. Why not take out a short term lease on one of the ones you are interested in. Try it out for a few months, if you don't like it you're not stuck with it.  Then you could lease another one and try it until you find one you like, they you could talk about buying it.   Just a thought, kind of a try before you buy kind of deal.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Buy a GMC

But if you won't do that, get the Dodge.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Toyota Tundra.

Or a Chevy.

I'd definitely pick the Dodge over the Ford.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This is easy, F-150.

Watch out, I know Shivan is gonna post you should consider something made buy a Japanese company. Buy American.

While it's flattering to know that my name comes up in regards to previous responses...

The question is: Dodge or Ford?

My answer is:  Ford.

The new line is excellent and I honestly liked the older styling on the Ram's, the new style does nothing for me -- except those 20" wheels.

The new Ford almost rivals a Caddy for interior creature comforts.

BTW, aren't the Ford trucks partially or mainly assembled and fabricated in Mexico and Canada??

It's the American WORKERS who need the money and jobs -- not the Ford executives.

I consider where the workers who build, fabricate, assemble, design are located for consideration of the truck's origin.

I'd rather buy a Japanese marquee truck assembled, designed, fabricated, and sold here in the states.  As opposed to a truck fabricate, assembled, and designed in Mexico and Canada.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Any Ford.

Dodges are made so cheaply that the things do not last. They stil use old construction techniques that everyone else has deemed inferior and has engineered out of the product line. My friend is a Jeep / Chrysler fan and I had to tell him that I'm not fixing anymore of his stupid crap. Buy a real truck.

Get the Ford. At least it was put together as a total package, not built from what ever parts Dodge had laying around.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Overall, it's hard to beat the whole package you get in a Ford pickup. See avatar.

I've got a 98 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 318 and standard tranny.  It has almost 100K miles on it.  New steering column (warranty work) and three batteries is all I have had to fix on it.  Yesterday, I finally had a headlight bulb burn out and had to replace it.  Otherwise it has been a great vehicle.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#34]
How many "old school" engineered vehicles are still on the road at the age of 20 or more?

How many "newfangled" vehicles will still be hauling it when THEY'RE 20?  

Not as large a percentage, I'll bet.

High tech fabrication be damned, there's still a lot to be said for a body that's bolted to a separate frame rather than a unibody.

The only reason I retired my old '78 Caddy is that I was not willing to keep after the body rust and it was already 22 years old at the time, and everything important still worked great.  It was some of the options and accessories that failed, that's all.  Nothing you couldn't live without.

Modern manufacturing is oriented toward one thing:  PROFIT.   It's NOT oriented toward making products with a very long usable service life.

This is reality.  The vehicle you buy today is SUPPOSED to be in the junkard by its tenth birthday or shortly thereafter.   The vehicles that will last longer are the ones built more like the old way of doing it.  Lots of iron and lots of bolts.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Guess what boys, Fords are made in America, except the ones made in Canada, which are sold in Canada.

Dodge seems to be incapable of making a solid body. The only thing worth owning off of a Dodge is a Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine, which, I am sure some of you know, is made by Ford.

Yes, I have driven Dodges. No, I didn't like them.

The Hemi has a lot more power than the 5.4L, sure, but the 5.4 is easy to upgrade, and its a torqemeister, plus it gets 14 mpg to the Hemis 10.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been in the car biz for 8 years and I can tell you that Ford builds the best trucks PERIOD!!! I'm not going to go into a drawn out explaination as far as suspension and engeneering goes but take my word for it, as far as durability and dependability goes, nothing comes close to a ford.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Cummins owned by Ford??!! Not true! Check the Cummins web site and make a phone call to Indiana if you want to prove me wrong.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#38]
First off, let me say I used to be a Ford guy in the 80's, my ''76 & '86 are still goin' strong, but then in late 80's & early 90's we went through about 4 Fords, and they were by far all the most poorly built unreliable pieces of junk I have ever owned.

After that, I refused to go Ford for a long time.  My opinion of the term "Found On Road Dead" did not come out of just smart thinking, it's true dead gummit!  I see more Fords & Jeep Wranglers broken down than any other vehicles.

WIth that said, I drive a 03 Hemi QC 4x4, and this is by far the fasted vehicle I have ever owned, but no, it is not the God of all engines.

Speed wise... the Chevy 5.3L is a pretty good match for a Hemi and is just slightly slower in stock vs. stock form.  The Ford 5.4L is no match for either.  That's not to say it's slow, it's just that it's not all that, unless you have a Ford Harley which is Supercharged.

As far as towing power, the Hemi does not put out as much power in lower RPM's than it does at higher RPM's, but that's not to say it's weak.  It makes plenty of power for anything you're going to want to pull with a 1/2 ton... if you want to get a 3/4 ton though and will be pulling huge boats and such, then you may want to get a different engine which makes more power in the lower RPM's.

Speed wise though, the Hemi has more potential than any other engine IMO.  The Chevy 5.3L has been out a while and has a lot of mods out for it, basically all Hemis are stock except for maybe intake & exhaust, but they are still tearin' up the roads.

LOOKS

I love the looks of the new F-150's, I think they are sweet, but my past experience is just that Ford reliability sucks, but I admit, I don't have any experience with the newer Fords.

With that said, the older Rams were known to have quite a few problems up until the later 2000 & up... the newest models... 02/03 haven't been out long enough for anyone to know, but I haven't had a peep of a problem out of mine.  There was a brake rotor warp problem with early 02's, but Dodge has since fixed it.

My opinion though for a Reg Cab 1500 especially... Dodge Hemi.  I promise you won't be sorry... go drive it and then drive the others and you'll see why.

If you need to tow a lot of really heavy stuff, the Hemi may not be for you since it's superhuman power comes alive above 4000 RPM.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Do myself and my family a favor: Buy the Dodge!

Get it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I have owned both.  I would get a Ford. 2nd choice Chevy or Gmc (you choose which one looks best) 3rd choice USED truck from above list. Dead last would be the new dodge.

Having said that the 94-98 Inline injector pump Cummins is the engine to have.  Since dodge is no longer using that engine and since he is talking half tons it doesn't matter.  

[bold]Ford has never owned a controlling interest in Cummins.[/bold]
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#42]
FORD.

Hands down. I've been diggin those 04 F-150 Screws lately. Too bad the next car is my wifes.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Having been able to view how both Dodge and Ford approach manufacturing while working as a vendor there is only one way to go.

Ford.

At the Lima, Ohio Ford engine plant(3.0 Liter and 3.9 liter) and the Indy steering plant quality did appear to come first.

I did not see the same commitment to quality at the DCX plants I have worked in.

It was about the numbers for them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Buy a GMC

But if you won't do that, get the Dodge.

ugh! ahhhh hmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Toyota!

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Ford F-150.

Oh, the Dodge looks sexier.  But here are some things to consider...

1.  Insurance.  Talk with your insurance agent BEFORE buying and get quotes.  You'll find that the Dodge costs more to insure.

2.  Repairs will be easier and less expensive on the Ford.

3.  The Ford has better reliability.  I know I'll get flamed on this one, but look at the Consumer Reports annual auto issue.  The Ford F-150 is consistently rated as one of their top 5 most reliable vehicles.  You'll note that Dodge is also ranked...  in the bottom 10.

4.  The Ford F-150 will hold its value better than the Dodge.

For Dodge:  It looks better.
For Ford:  Less expensive to insure, easier and cheaper to repair, more reliable and has a proven track record of reliability, and it'll hold its value better.

Ford is the way to go!

Mike

I agree with Mike. I make a heck of a lot more money servicing Chrysler products in my shop than I do working on Fords. A Ford truck will beat a Dodge every time. Get an F150.

P.S. I grew up a Chevy man, but you can't beat a Ford truck for durability.

Panzer Out
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Any Ford.

Dodges are made so cheaply that the things do not last. My friend is a Jeep / Chrysler fan and I had to tell him that I'm not fixing anymore of his stupid crap. Buy a real truck.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
one word....HEMI

I love that commercial! Such a cute kid, can you say "Hemi"???

And the kid knows just as much about what the word Hemi means as his dad does, not a fvcking clue but boy it sure sounds neat doesn't it?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:19:45 PM EDT
[#49]
I took a managerial statistics course in 1993.  One of the example case studies was of the high defect rates in Chevy/GM automatic transmissions.  The thing that really opened my eyes was that Chevy/GM management sat down and said something like 40 defects per every thousand transmissions is PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE.  

They compared their engineering philosophy to the Japanese who said 0 defects in every thousand transmissions is the only acceptable defect rate permissable.  The Japanese then went out and engineered and built their cars and trucks accordingly.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Dodge Hemi!--------------but in a truck?---ha ha
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top