Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/27/2006 5:12:41 AM EDT
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060127/AUTO01/601270377

Rouge: Ford cars or no spot in the lot

The truck factory, which hosts tours, is the automaker's only plant to set rule for workers.

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

DEARBORN -- Plant manager Rob Webber delivered a blunt message to workers at Ford Motor Co.'s Dearborn Truck factory this week: If you work at Ford, you better drive a Ford. Otherwise, park across the street and walk.

The new policy at Dearborn Truck, the modern centerpiece of the famed Rouge industrial complex and the site of popular factory tours, comes as Ford officials have been exhorting workers to rally behind the automaker's massive turnaround effort.

Losing money and sales in North America, Ford on Monday announced plans to close as many as 14 plants and cut up to 30,000 blue-collar workers.

"It was something this plant manager took upon himself. It's not a companywide policy," said Ford spokeswoman Anne Marie Gattari, adding that Ford supported the decision, which was made in consultation with local union leaders.

Beginning next Wednesday, only vehicles manufactured by Ford or one of its subsidiaries can be parked on the plant site. Employees in non-Ford vehicles can still park in the employee lot across Miller Road and walk to the factory, Gattari said.

'Everybody's in this together'

Jerry Sullivan, president of United Auto Workers Local 600, which represents some 2,600 workers at the plant, said both the union and the company wanted to get people's attention.

"Everybody's in this together. (We need) to buy the products we make and support the company," Sullivan said. "This is a good place to start."

The UAW has a history of banning vehicles manufactured by Asian and European automakers from union hall parking lots -- particularly during recessionary periods.

But Harley Shaiken, a labor expert at the University of California-Berkeley, said this is the first time he has ever heard of either the union or an auto company moving to ban all competing products.

"When imports were banned, the notion was that you were supporting other autoworkers around the country," he said. "These are very troubled times. Autoworkers in general, and at Ford in particular, want to protect their own jobs."

Shaiken said he would not be surprised to see similar actions taken at other Big Three plants. General Motors Corp.'s Warren Technical Center has separate lots for non-GM vehicles.

Non-Ford cars defaced

In recent years, the UAW has put handbills on non-Ford vehicles -- and even on some vehicles made by Ford's Volvo, Land Rover and Jaguar units -- that were parked at the company's world headquarters in Dearborn.

Land Rover, Volvo and other foreign vehicles also have been vandalized while parked at the automaker's Dearborn operations.

The new ban at Ford's Dearborn Truck plant applies to both salaried and hourly workers with permits to park on site. About 15 percent of the 2,800 employees who work at Dearborn Truck have such permits.

The decision to bar non-Ford products from the plant site was announced during a town hall meeting at the factory convened to discuss the automaker's latest restructuring plan. "The place erupted in applause," Gattari said.

Workers differ on ban

But not everyone was clapping.

"They can't tell you how to spend your money," said one veteran skilled tradesman who did not wish to be identified out of fear of retaliation. "It's still a free country."

He drives vehicles manufactured by DaimlerChrysler AG's Chrysler Group because he can get a better deal on them. "I gotta go where I can get the most bang for my buck," the worker said.

Now, he plans to borrow a Ford vehicle before the ban goes into effect.

Other workers said they see the logic behind the ban.

"You buy what you build," said Dearborn Truck worker Rufus McWilliams. "That only makes sense."

While Dearborn Truck is the only Ford facility to impose such a ban so far, workers at some other plants said they would welcome similar rules.

The Dearborn Truck plant opened in 2004 as Ford was celebrating its 100-year anniversary. It was build as part of a $2 billion renovation of the Rouge facility and is considered a model of manufacturing efficiency, flexibility and environmentally friendly technology.

About 150,000 people a year visit the factory on tours operated by The Henry Ford museum.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
New sales marketing strategy?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:14:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to GM 1985 policy.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that'll really make happy employees and turn things around. Dumbasses.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#4]
LoL, so if you didn't get fired, your still going to get pissed on.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:19:35 AM EDT
[#5]
If everyone must drive a ford, then there are going to be A LOT of people walking to work.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:20:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Shitty management driving shitty cars.... m'kay.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Stick a fork in them. Ford is done.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Try making a car that won't fall apart before it's paid for, then perhaps people will buy it.

Idiots.

<-----------Burned by Ford Motor Company twice, there ain't gonna be a third time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I worked at a huge Ford facility very close to the Rouge plant. Maybe about half the cars in the parking lot were Fords. Maybe.

For makes garbage and their employees know it. I forsee alot of people crossing the street.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:26:20 AM EDT
[#10]
They won't mind walking a little bit to work, after all, they are Ford tough, right?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

DEARBORN -- Plant manager Rob Webber delivered a blunt message to workers at Ford Motor Co.'s Dearborn Truck factory this week: If you work at Ford, you better drive a Ford. Otherwise, park across the street and walk.

........and that solves a problem, how?  

a big, nearly empty parking lot may make MORE of a point than a bunch of imports
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#12]
how the hell can the workers afford fords?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:36:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If the employees want a job building a product but refuse to buy that product then they shouldn't be upset when they're out of work.

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If the employees want a job building a product but refuse to buy that product then they shouldn't be upset when they're out of work.

That's like saying that McDonalds workers have to eat that crap.  Many are smarter than that, and I suspect that some of the Ford workers are smart enough to realize that they don't want any part of the crap they build.

Just because they put the parts together doesn't mean they control the quality of the final product... only the final assembly.

A shitty design with shitty parts is still a shitty final product regardless of how nice the paint is.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:40:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Idiots
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#18]
It's pretty disturbing to read the replies here in this thread. I thought we were patriots. People who loved America and wanted to see her survive in the world.

Ford Motor Company is a major AMERICAN manufacturing giant.

Losing Ford as one of the cornerstone AMERICAN manufacturing companies (let alone one of the 3 major AMERICAN car makers) will just serve to add another nail in the coffin of AMERICAN way of life. No good can come from losing Ford, none.

Some of the comments in this thread lead me to believe that some of you have a  "fuck Ford" or "good riddance" opinion concerning Ford's latest delima. Wake up people, this is a serious blow to America's economy and will ripple throughout the world's economy.

We used to be a manufacturing giant and exported goods all over the planet. What happened?

Now some of us are just fat, lazy, arrogant and sexually perverted CONSUMERS.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Desperate times call for desperate measures. If you don't like the policy then go work somewhere else. Hh wait, that is right, they are laying off autoworkers left and right so it would probably be pretty difficult. Just be happy you have a job and if you do own an import, park in the other lot and walk to work. Your fat ass could probably use the exercise anyways.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:56:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I thought we were patriots. People who loved America and wanted to see her survive in the world.

These Patriots just want to have their Hondas & Walmart goods.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:56:11 AM EDT
[#21]
It may be a silly policy, but what's with the allegations of quality problems as the reason? You guys are suggesting the cars fall apart before their time, which is patently false and unsupportable. For all we lambast liberals for their emotional thinking, many of us are guilty of exactly the same thing when it comes to discussing cars.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:58:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's like saying that McDonalds workers have to eat that crap.  Many are smarter than that, and I suspect that some of the Ford workers are smart enough to realize that they don't want any part of the crap they build.

Just because they put the parts together doesn't mean they control the quality of the final product... only the final assembly.

A shitty design with shitty parts is still a shitty final product regardless of how nice the paint is.  

I worked at Wendys when I was in high school.  The managers would throw a fit whenever they saw us going over to Taco Bell on our break
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can have any opinion they want.  They can buy anything they want.  But they shouldn't be upset when they are out of a job.  

Pretty simple really.      

Well, they can be UPSET when they're out of a job.  They just shouldn't be SURPRISED.

Honestly, if I worked for a company where I didn't feel like the quality of their products was any good, I'd be looking for a new job.

BTW... My companies quality has gone down the tubes.  Guess why I'm taking a vacation day next week?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Ford's not going anywhere. They will reorganize, and in the process cut health and retirement benefits, and probably get rid of the unions. In effect, they will operate like Toyota and Nissan, which are both successful.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:02:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It may be a silly policy, but what's with the allegations of quality problems as the reason? You guys are suggesting the cars fall apart before their time, which is patently false and unsupportable.

Then why are the mid 90's Honda Accords and toyota Camry's still in good shape while the mid 90's Ford contours and Tauruses $500.00 rust buckets?

If you buy a new car every 4 years you will see much difference. Drive a car 10 years and you'll notice the difference, if your ford car even last 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought we were patriots. People who loved America and wanted to see her survive in the world.

These Patriots just want to have their Hondas & Walmart goods.

No, the patriots just don't appreciate being told how to spend the money THEY have EARNED.

I don't give a damn if Ford IS an American company. They manufacture crap, and I don't want crap to be the hallmark of American manufacturing. If they built something WORTH BUYING, then they wouldn't need to pull bullshit like this moronic plant manager has pulled.

I want American industry to win on the merits. It does no bloody good to claim we are the best when the only reason we're still in business is because we levy taxes and crap on the competition. That would be like the Cowboys celebrating how terribly they kicked the Redskin's asses, when the Skins were forced to start the game 50 points down.

Spare me the BS flag-waving. This is not about patriotism. This is about a failing company taking it out on its employees rather than addressing the root cause of the problem!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It's pretty disturbing to read the replies here in this thread. I thought we were patriots. People who loved America and wanted to see her survive in the world.

Losing Ford as one of the cornerstone AMERICAN manufacturing companies (let alone one of the 3 major AMERICAN car makers) will just serve to add another nail in the coffin of AMERICAN way of life. No good can come from losing Ford, none.

Some of the comments in this thread lead me to believe that some of you have a  "fuck Ford" or "good riddance" opinion concerning Ford's latest delima. Wake up people, this is a serious blow to America's economy and will ripple throughout the world's economy.

We used to be a manufacturing giant and exported goods all over the planet. What happened?

I drive a Ford Escape XLT. Bought it new in 2002.

It's a piece of shit. It's been pretty decent mechanically, but everything else has gone to hell... all the way down to the shitty adhesive that they use on the weather stripping that falls off the door frame.

I will not own another Ford, and my grandfather is a retiree of the now closing Batavia plant.

It's a garbage product, that wasn't worth the money that I am still paying for it.

I should have bought the Xterra.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It may be a silly policy, but what's with the allegations of quality problems as the reason? You guys are suggesting the cars fall apart before their time, which is patently false and unsupportable. For all we lambast liberals for their emotional thinking, many of us are guilty of exactly the same thing when it comes to discussing cars.

I must be a diamond in the rough.  God must have come down personally and blessed my automobiles.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out why none of my Fords have ever had any problems.  According to most of this thread's respondants, my vehicles' wheels should've popped off and my engines should've exploded!  

Which Fords are you referring to? How old and how many miles?

Maybe a Ford is right for me.  Here's is what i required of a car.  Reasonasbly priced.  Will go 100,000 miles or 10 years requiring no maintainance beyond oil changes and tires/brakes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I will not own another Ford, and my grandfather is a retiree of the now closing Batavia plant.

It's a garbage product, that wasn't worth the money that I am still paying for it.

I should have bought the Xterra.

Fucking traitor!

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:07:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I must be a diamond in the rough.  God must have come down personally and blessed my automobiles.  For the life of me, I cannot figure out why none of my Fords have ever had any problems.  According to most of this thread's respondants, my vehicles' wheels should've popped off and my engines should've exploded!  

I had to replace the clutch on my 2000 Mustang GT a couple months ago. Only lasted 120k and lots of nitrous passes. Ford is no good.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I drive a Ford Escape XLT. Bought it new in 2002.

It's a piece of shit. It's been pretty decent mechanically, but everything else has gone to hell... all the way down to the shitty adhesive that they use on the weather stripping that falls off the door frame.

Imagine what it will be like in 10 years instead of the 3-4 you have had it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:07:36 AM EDT
[#33]
1st thing Ford needs to do is ditch the UAW
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Whatever man. Most of the foriegn cars sold in America are built in America. Who cares if they are financed by their sister Japanese bank who makes the money off the interest. I never finance through the manufacturer's credit arm anyway.

I have already spent the savings that I got from Gramp's discount on repairs, so it's no bargain.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:09:36 AM EDT
[#36]
more reason I get all full of glee hearing news of Ford's demise
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:10:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Hungry?  Out of work?  Throw some steak sauce on your import.

What, like the Toyotas and Hondas manufactured in the United States?

Give it up. The fake flag-waving doesn't work. Ford (and the rest of the traditional US auto industry) is going under because they manufacture shit, and because the assholes who manufacture them enjoy strangling the corporation in the name of "worker rights".
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It may be a silly policy, but what's with the allegations of quality problems as the reason? You guys are suggesting the cars fall apart before their time, which is patently false and unsupportable.

Then why are the mid 90's Honda Accords and toyota Camry's still in good shape while the mid 90's Ford contours and Tauruses $500.00 rust buckets?

If you buy a new car every 4 years you will see much difference. Drive a car 10 years and you'll notice the difference, if your ford car even last 10 years.

This is what I'm talking about. Like so many others, you are exaggerating and making unsubstantiated claims that are silly at best. You - as someone who lives in rust free California - just said that Ford Contours and Tauruses made 10 years ago are worth $500 and are rust buckets. This is a perfect example of emotion trumping reason, and an appaling lack of critical thinking ability.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

The last Import I bought was a Candian built Pontiac Formular WS6. When new the tail lamp assembly was not flush, the windshield weather stripping leaked, one of the tires was on backwards. Blew several speakers and an intake gasket in the first year.

The next vehicle I buy will be an American made Toyota Tacoma.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:12:16 AM EDT
[#40]
I don't have an issue with it. If you can't support the place that pays you find another job.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Ford's not going anywhere. They will reorganize, and in the process cut health and retirement benefits, and probably get rid of the unions. In effect, they will operate like Toyota and Nissan, which are both successful.

Toyota and Nissan are successful becasue they make a better product, ford in general are POS, my wife and I owned three of them, we both drive Nissans now. The only Ford product I would consider is their F250 and 350 and neither would be practical for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#42]

Volvo and other foreign vehicles also have been vandalized

Are the Ford workers complete idiots?  Ford makes Volvos now.z

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give it up. The fake flag-waving doesn't work. Ford (and the rest of the traditional US auto industry) is going under because they manufacture shit, and because the assholes who manufacture them enjoy strangling the corporation in the name of "worker rights".

Ford and GM use Mexican and Canadian parts on their cars IIRC. Honda, Toyota, Mercedes Benz are made here by American workers.  Sold by Americans, serviced by Americans.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, buy a Ford if you want to park on the company lot.  You'll still be paying for it after Ford lays you off.  

I'm all for loyalty to your employer, but I've never heard of a company that was loyal to it's workers when the going got tough.  People are told to be "team players" and all, but where the hell is the team when the money is tight and they start laying people off?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:19:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bulk of the profit goes back to Japan.  Using the argument that they're built in America is an excuse to justify your non-American purchase.  It makes you feel better about not supporting the American industries.  

Profit? From a car? With mfg. subsidized marketing? Surely you jest.

The only real profit is from the financing. Tell the F&I Manager to take a hike in the Toyota dealership and you'll be fine.

Incidently, that shitty Toyota 4 cyl. pickup truck that my uncle has kept since he bought it in 1980.... has little to no body rust, and runs like a top... almost 1,000,000 miles on it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:19:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Look at it this way, if they have to drive what they make, maybe, just maybe, they will start to make them a little better next time around.  You know, design it better so they don't breakdown so much when they are driving to work themselves?  Nothing like forcing someone to eat what they cook to get them to change the recipe after they get sick from it...  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:20:23 AM EDT
[#48]
The one thing I find interesting is how many at ARFCOM when stuff comes up about Paypal or eBay or something else similiar, people get all indignant and say "its a private company, and they can do what they want, either follow their rules or don't use them"

This is the same thing...the way I see it they are not telling their workers they MUST spend their money with Ford, they are saying that if you don't drive a Ford vehicle, you are not welcome to park in their private property parking lot next to the plant. You are welcome to park at their parking lot across the road however.

I think its dumb....but it IS a private company and private property. And they can set the rules.

Again, I think its dumb, just like those companies who passed regs prohibiting you from having a gun in your vehicle on their parking lots....
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#49]
So, if I work for Pizza Hut, I'd better like my pepperoni daily?

If I teach in public skoolz, I can't send my kids to private?

If I'm a plumber I have to call my own company to fix my toilet?

It's about freedom.

I drive a Ford.  It's 13 years old an beat to hell, yet it still hangs in there.  But if Joe Schmo wants to buy a Honda or a Chrysler I say let him.  This is the land of the free, not the compelled.  If Ford were so wonderful, the cars would sell like hotcakes all by themselves.

It's not about patriotism, it's about Capitalism, and maybe Ford (or at least it's current management) needs to just disappear.  It's not like the hole won't be filled by more competently built vehicles.  And if those jobs go overseas?  Who do we have to blame but ourselves for building and supporting half-rate companies that can't compete without subsidies and pansy flag-waving support.

I'll support freedom, thank you very much.  My next vehicle will be a Toyota... k, maybe the woman might want another Cherokee  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:22:46 AM EDT
[#50]
My "give a shit" meter for Ford/Lincoln/Mercury ran out when my wife had to abandon her mid-90's Mercury Sable along the interstate while it's transmission smoldered. That was it's 2nd transmission in the 6 years of it's existence. It also had a bad water pump prior to 100k miles & bad CV joints. It finally died at 102,000 miles.
No thanks. You can keep your internationally made/domestically assembled Fords. Meanwhile, I'll keep driving my "made in Japan", 15 year old, 180,000 miles driven, B-series Mazda pickup and my 110,000 mile Honda.
I expect a car to last 10 years and/or 150-200k miles. Fords did that once, but not anymore.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top