Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 3:09:39 PM EDT
Currently, I'm looking at Ford trucks for my first vehicle.

I'm currently 16 years old, employed in a regional high end grocery store, making between $700 and $800 a month, on top of school.

However, I need a vehicle to get to and from my job and school. I'm very much, as are my parents, interested in a pick up truck.

We're looking to spend $20,000 or less. I've been looking at a F350 2001 Diesel. It has 113,000 miles on it, VERY nice interior exterior, and it's currently going for around $18,000. My parents, on the other hand, highly recommend I go with a newer, F150 Supercab 2004 gas with only 30,000 miles on it, for a little over $19,000.

I love how the F350 looks, both interior and exterior. Plus, it's diesel, what kid my age doesn't want a diesel pick up?

However, maintenance and repair costs that the F350 may under go in the future has me concerned.
More than likely, this will be my vehicle for the next 5 years or so. What can I expect to repair and fix? Would it be cheaper (In terms of future repairs) and smarter to go with a newer F150  Gas(Even though they look hideous) over an older F350 Diesel?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm 19 and have had my 2000 F150 for two years now (yes, I bought it myself so I'm not spoiled) and it just rolled over to 112K miles. Anyway, I love the truck. I go mudding about three times a month and have beaten the piss out of it. It has been flexed through ravines and in water/mud above the top of the bumper. I have never had a mechanical problem. My check engine light has been on for the last 6 months though because I need to replace my O2 sensors. NO biggie I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I get shitty mileage but I don't care. My next truck will probably be a 250 or 350 diesel but thats not because I don't love my truck, just the bigger is better syndrome thing I guess.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you need a truck to do heavy towing?  It doesn't sound like it, so the SD seems silly.  

Why would you buy a vehicle with 113K over a vehicle with 30K when they'll both do what you need them to?  Sure the SD will probably go another 100K, but there will be maintenance and down time; OTOH, the '04 will almost definietly go another 100k with fewer repairs.  You might save money on gas with the diesel but lets face it, driving from home to work to the grocery store is enough miles to matter.  If you want to save gas, buy a 4-cyl. Tacoma.

Condiser yourself dang fortunate to have to decide how to spend 20 grand on a vehicle; I'm about to finish grad school and I'll be lucky if I have a car that nice next year.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Just so it's clear, It's going to be ME paying for 80-85% of it either way. Parents are merely helping on down payment/insurance.

As far as towing/pulling, it may be used for business related materials hauling for my fathers business. Although, he plans to eventually purchase a much heavier duty truck for that, it would serve temporarily for some light transportation.

It seems the previously mentioned F150 has sold as well. So perhaps the question should be broadened...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you want to save gas, buy a 4-cyl. Tacoma.

Condiser yourself dang fortunate to have to decide how to spend 20 grand on a vehicle; I'm about to finish grad school and I'll be lucky if I have a car that nice next year.

Fellow at work just bought a 2006 tacoma extended cab. He wants it for haulin (hurricane seasons coming up)and going to the beach. Looks like its gonna fill the bill pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

We're looking to spend $20,000 or less. I've been looking at a F350 2001 Diesel. It has 113,000 miles on it, VERY nice interior exterior, and it's currently going for around $18,000. My parents, on the other hand, highly recommend I go with a newer, F150 Supercab 2004 gas with only 30,000 miles on it, for a little over $19,000.

Thanks!

I'd go with the F150 gas(even though I'm a GM guy I'll keep brand alliance out of this.) I personally have not heard good out of the PSD, and it'll be easier to learn driving lessons on IMO.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#7]
make sure when your looking at this truck. don,t look under the hood don,t check the tires, don,t even check that the radio works. make sure it has two not one but two smoke stacks sticking out of the bed!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#8]
just kidding you that's all i buy is ford trucks. just bought an 05 expedition
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, I can't believe you're 16 and spending $20k on a vehicle. Times have definitely changed since I was in high-school.

I'm trying hard not to sound like an old fart on this but I'd recommend you look at a $5000 vehicle (Ranger or Tacoma that are a couple of years old) and put the other $15000 in 2 or 3 growth stock mutual funds.

By the time you finish college you'll be sitting on a decent lump of cash instead of being out about $15k (depreciation).

Plus $700-800 per month doesn't leave any room for anything else. If you're financing $18000 for 36 months then you're looking at a car payment of $540 before you've even bought gas and insurance. That is TIGHT.

There'll be plenty of time for flash vehicles when you're a little older, use your time and put some money away while you can.

Unless your dad is buying this as a business expense and then you're paying him back or something I really can't believe anyone thinks this is a good idea based on your rather modest needs.

An F350SD with 113k miles is nuts.

Sorry to rain on the parade but given the facts that you've presented it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been there. I bought my pickup at 17 for 12k. At the time I was making 500-600 per month. I financed it ot 5.5 years ended up being 220/mo.  then came insurance which was 180 month for full coverage. (clean record) then I went and bought wheels and tires for $1200. Guess what Im still paying for the thing. On one hand I had one of the nicest rides in HS on the other hand... while all my buddies were out partying going sking and having a good time I was working and damn near broke. most of my friends drove cheap 2wd toyota pickups and with a set of chains they went damn near as far as I could in the snow.  If I were you I would get a cheap toyota then go buy a dirt bike an ATV or a jetski and some guns and enjoy life. this was my second vehicle the first was an 81' Mustang 4cyl with a T top that leaked all over the drivers seat...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I come from a Ford family myself is this your case? Anyways what do you REALLY want? you want something you can take mudding with all your friends? are you a Point A to Point B kind of guy? I heard you say next 5 years then you might want to look at older trucks depreciation value is better on older trucks?? hope I'm right. Basiclly more info needed

something nice that youll never leave pavement with?

or something thats lifted and can leave that parking lot from any spot you see that might be a "Challenge"

and your making $700 to $800 a month in highschool? nice
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Find a 90-96 F150 with the 4.9L I6 with a 5 speed manual . There's no need to drop 20K on a newer truck when you can spend less and get a better, longer lasting, bulletproof engine.

The 4.9/300 is a poor man's diesel.

The 4.9 isn't sexy but it's the best light duty truck engine ever made and it's not bad on mileage either.

Listen to this man, he knows of what he speaks.  The straight six Ford motor is bar none one of THE best motors ever devised for pick ups in general.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
beware......Been seeing a pattern failure with Ford Superduty pick-ups....fuse boxs melting down...could lead to a fire in the cab.  Had two last week..same exact symptoms and the fuse box torched in the same exact place......you'll know it when it happens.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wow, I can't believe you're 16 and spending $20k on a vehicle. Times have definitely changed since I was in high-school.

I'm trying hard not to sound like an old fart on this but I'd recommend you look at a $5000 vehicle (Ranger or Tacoma that are a couple of years old) and put the other $15000 in 2 or 3 growth stock mutual funds.

By the time you finish college you'll be sitting on a decent lump of cash instead of being out about $15k (depreciation).

Plus $700-800 per month doesn't leave any room for anything else. If you're financing $18000 for 36 months then you're looking at a car payment of $540 before you've even bought gas and insurance. That is TIGHT.

There'll be plenty of time for flash vehicles when you're a little older, use your time and put some money away while you can.

Unless your dad is buying this as a business expense and then you're paying him back or something I really can't believe anyone thinks this is a good idea based on your rather modest needs.

An F350SD with 113k miles is nuts.

Sorry to rain on the parade but given the facts that you've presented it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Absolutely + fuckin 1
Really- do you need a 20K truck at 16 to total before you graduate or a 5-7K rig and be retired at 50?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:34:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm currently 16 years old, employed in a regional high end grocery store, making between $700 and $800 a month, on top of school.

However, I need a vehicle to get to and from my job and school. I'm very much, as are my parents, interested in a pick up truck.

I love how the F350 looks, both interior and exterior. Plus, it's diesel, what kid my age doesn't want a diesel pick up?

However, maintenance and repair costs that the F350 may under go in the future has me concerned.
More than likely, this will be my vehicle for the next 5 years or so. What can I expect to repair and fix? Would it be cheaper (In terms of future repairs) and smarter to go with a newer F150  Gas(Even though they look hideous) over an older F350 Diesel?

Thanks!

Dude, get the diesel.  Those motors ( 7.3L ) can go 300K miles no problem.  My buddies work van has 500K+ on it.

I just bought a 05 PSD and wouldn'y do it any other way.  It's my first diesel, and will never go back to a gasser again!!  Just having the ability to tow anything I want when I want puts me at ease.

Plus, you'll get better mileage on the hwy with that PSD than you will with the gaseer, although the diesel prices here have been hovering around 2.79
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top