ford
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:45:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/15/2005 6:45:35 AM EDT by die-tryin]
Ford wins without even racing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:47:40 AM EDT
Yeah but which one is a better value? I say Z06
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:59:30 AM EDT
What's the sticker on the 'vette?

If money were no object I'd take the Ford, but frankly at 6'7" I think both are lost on me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:04:49 AM EDT
The sticker on the vette is expected to fall in the $65 to $70k range, vs six figures for the Ford GT.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:06:28 AM EDT
One makes the power with a blower...

The other, naturally aspirated.

Do the math.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:20:53 AM EDT
Well, the Ford GT is more of a head-turner. In fact, I have never even seen one driving around. It is also mid-engine, which means more traction to the ground. It also makes 550hp and 500tq, vs the Z06's 500hp and 475tq. However, the ZO6 is quite a bit cheaper, and is also about 300lbs lighter. If money were not an option, I personally would prefer the GT because it is rare and exotic. However, the Z06 is probably a better value.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:21:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:38:14 AM EDT
Honestly, if we talkabout essentially unattainable Super Cars, can we talk value?

Oh yeah... GT all the way!

jim
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:54:04 AM EDT
The GT
hands down
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:56:45 AM EDT
The Corvette is raced in several classes/styles. The GT is a show car. I would pick the Z06. In fact, I might just pre-order one.

G23c
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:58:17 AM EDT
The 'vette will win this one. Period.

Corvette_ed

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:59:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:22:17 AM EDT
On pure appeal, the GT40.

If we're talking about spending my own hard-earned money though, Z06 all the way. The Corvette has been around now for a while and they've really worked the bugs out. Fantastic car, according to my buddy who has an '04 Z06.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:50:19 AM EDT
On the other hand, the GT is itself considered fantastic value considering it's placed to go up against Ferraris and Lambos which cost almost twice its price.

NTM
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:54:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/15/2005 8:56:26 AM EDT by gardenWeasel]

Originally Posted By Manic_Moran:
On the other hand, the GT is itself considered fantastic value considering it's placed to go up against Ferraris and Lambos which cost almost twice its price.

NTM

What do you base that statement on, MSRPs in car magazines?
GTs are big bucks!
www.fordgtprices.com/pages/9/index.htm
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:13:41 AM EDT
ZO6 with stomp the ford

Mustangs have never been fast cars the average mustang is a very slow car.

Compare the numbers through history.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:15:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:16:22 AM EDT
Win what?

A race?
If so, what type of race?
1/4, autocross, circle track,etc?

Is it looks?

It is overall value?

Which one is it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:18:20 AM EDT
I'll take the Vette.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:18:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mike45acp:
ZO6 with stomp the ford

whatever

Nick
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:18:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By M4-AK:
Both will have 500+ HP. Who will win?

M4-AK

My friend bought a black/silver ford. MSRP he said was around 150k. He paid "close to 200K". With that said, I'll take the Z06 for ~70k
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:20:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/15/2005 9:21:59 AM EDT by MillerSHO]

Originally Posted By Commando_Guy:

Originally Posted By mike45acp:
ZO6 with stomp the ford

whatever

Nick

If you were to compair each car for each class, he's right ya know.
Of course Ford has it monsters, but Ford was really good at keeping there REALLY fast cars out of normal working class peoples hands.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:21:55 AM EDT
I think the big difference is a Ford GT will never be produced in Vette numbers. Sure the Vette is a great value, always has been. The GT while the performance may be similar is on another tier in the attainability and exclusivtivity. With that being said if it was my money on current pay the Vette I may be able to afford if I sell the house and live in it.......If it was others peoples money, I'd take the GT. That is a beautiful American car with signigicant American racing history.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:30:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:36:23 AM EDT
I vote for the VETTE!!!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 10:03:11 AM EDT
Some of the test Z06's they sent out to the car mags
were in the 11 second 1/4 mile range and still pulled
over 1 on the skid pad .

That's fast and sticky for a production car at any price .
Not to mention that you can get three vette's for the price of
one GT
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 10:30:35 AM EDT
I would choose the Z06. Mainly because of the technology and racing pedigree. The price difference is also a huge factor, and the exotic motor build they chose seals the deal. This machine will be very hard to beat, even at twice the price.

The Ford GT is a very capable machine though. I just saw a comparison between the Ford GT, Ferrari Competition Stradale, and a Porsche 911 GT-3. The drivers were most impressed with the Ford GT because of it's power on demand. All three cars in the test had excellent power, but none of them have the torque of the GT. The Ford GT makes power at just about any RPM compared to the higher revving imports. Handling was super too and the GT was first overall of he three with the Stradale second and the GT3 third.

The Z06 has a motor that is purely exotic, and the frame/chassis is made from aluminum and magnesium.

Here are some details to consider:

*LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 with lightweight reciprocating components
*500 horsepower (373 kw) at 6200 rpm
*475 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) at 4800 rpm
*7000 rpm redline
*Titanium connecting rods and intake valves
*Dry-sump engine lubrication system
*Engine hand-built at GM’s new Performance Build Center
*Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium front cradle
*Fixed roof design optimizes body rigidity and aerodynamics
*Carbon-fiber composite front fenders and front wheelhouses
*Unique front fascia incorporating a larger grille, cold-air scoop and lower air splitter
*Wide-body rear fenders and a unique rear spoiler incorporated with the CHMSL
*Huge 14-inch (355-mm) cross-drilled front disc brakes with six-piston calipers and 13.4-inch (340-mm) cross-drilled rear rotors with four-piston calipers
*18 x 9.5-inch front wheels with 275/35ZR18 tires and 19 x 12-inch rear wheels with 325/30ZR19 tires
*3-inch-diameter exhaust with bi-mode mufflers and larger polished stainless steel tips
*Engine, transmission and differential oil coolers; and steering cooler
*Rear-mounted battery to improve weight distribution
*Unique interior features including revised gauge cluster and lightweight two-tone seats with more aggressive bolsters
*Curb weight of 3130 pounds / 1419.7 kg (estimated)
*3 inches (76.2 mm) wider than other Corvette models

LS-7 Small Block Motor Specs

*Unique cylinder block casting with large, 104.8-mm bores and pressed-in cylinder liners
*Forged steel main bearing caps
*Forged steel crankshaft
*Titanium connecting rods with 101.6-mm stroke
*Cast aluminum flat-top pistons
*11.0:1 compression
*Dry-sump oiling system
*Camshaft with .591-inch lift
*Racing-derived CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads with titanium intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves
*Titanium pushrods and valve springs
*Low-restriction air intake system
*Hydroformed exhaust headers with unique “quad flow” collector flanges.

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 1:56:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By oneshot1kill:
I would choose the Z06. Mainly because of the technology and racing pedigree. The price difference is also a huge factor, and the exotic motor build they chose seals the deal. This machine will be very hard to beat, even at twice the price.

The Ford GT is a very capable machine though. I just saw a comparison between the Ford GT, Ferrari Competition Stradale, and a Porsche 911 GT-3. The drivers were most impressed with the Ford GT because of it's power on demand. All three cars in the test had excellent power, but none of them have the torque of the GT. The Ford GT makes power at just about any RPM compared to the higher revving imports. Handling was super too and the GT was first overall of he three with the Stradale second and the GT3 third.

The Z06 has a motor that is purely exotic, and the frame/chassis is made from aluminum and magnesium.

Here are some details to consider:

*LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 with lightweight reciprocating components
*500 horsepower (373 kw) at 6200 rpm
*475 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) at 4800 rpm
*7000 rpm redline
*Titanium connecting rods and intake valves
*Dry-sump engine lubrication system
*Engine hand-built at GM’s new Performance Build Center
*Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium front cradle
*Fixed roof design optimizes body rigidity and aerodynamics
*Carbon-fiber composite front fenders and front wheelhouses
*Unique front fascia incorporating a larger grille, cold-air scoop and lower air splitter
*Wide-body rear fenders and a unique rear spoiler incorporated with the CHMSL
*Huge 14-inch (355-mm) cross-drilled front disc brakes with six-piston calipers and 13.4-inch (340-mm) cross-drilled rear rotors with four-piston calipers
*18 x 9.5-inch front wheels with 275/35ZR18 tires and 19 x 12-inch rear wheels with 325/30ZR19 tires
*3-inch-diameter exhaust with bi-mode mufflers and larger polished stainless steel tips
*Engine, transmission and differential oil coolers; and steering cooler
*Rear-mounted battery to improve weight distribution
*Unique interior features including revised gauge cluster and lightweight two-tone seats with more aggressive bolsters
*Curb weight of 3130 pounds / 1419.7 kg (estimated)
*3 inches (76.2 mm) wider than other Corvette models

LS-7 Small Block Motor Specs

*Unique cylinder block casting with large, 104.8-mm bores and pressed-in cylinder liners
*Forged steel main bearing caps
*Forged steel crankshaft
*Titanium connecting rods with 101.6-mm stroke
*Cast aluminum flat-top pistons
*11.0:1 compression
*Dry-sump oiling system
*Camshaft with .591-inch lift
*Racing-derived CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads with titanium intake valves and sodium-filled exhaust valves
*Titanium pushrods and valve springs
*Low-restriction air intake system
*Hydroformed exhaust headers with unique “quad flow” collector flanges.

I've got wood.....

Can't wait for the first road test comparison. Ten years from now the Ford will probably bring more at the BJ auctions. The vette will probably bring good money too in the future depending on numbers.

Anyone got two good pictures to post?

M4-AK
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:36:56 PM EDT
The GT looks cool. The Vette is cheaper and is better built.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:37:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
Since the Ford's transmission is likely to crap out at any moment, it'll be the 'Vette that will usually win.

CJ

CJ what planet are you racing from>?? step up to a Ford, if you can afford itYou'll never make a harsh statement like that again,...and when your chevy finally arrives on that flatbed,...we'll drink a beer and discuss it
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:42:37 PM EDT
Vette = made by GM, which is never good. My buddies BRAND new 05 vette has been in the shop twice for serious problems, and it has 1500 miles. Go GM!, even you can fuck up your best car.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:47:13 PM EDT
Chevy sux shit!, your just gonna have to face it! either spend the money for real horsepower or be stuck with yer pontiac buick chivy wannabe pile of F'n crap for life piece of shit road dog junkload overpromised pain in thee ass fit too be tied ,...god i dont want to work on it AGAIN !!! Cherotoad!
bwaaaa haaaaa haaaa Chevy Sucks!! the only thing that ever made them cool was Dale Earnhardt
Damn i need another beer
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:50:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/15/2005 3:52:10 PM EDT by nirvana]

Originally Posted By deej86:

Obviously you have never worked on cars!!! Come on guys , PLEASE never use the name chevy in the same senetence as Eh Hem,....FORD
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 3:55:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/15/2005 3:55:26 PM EDT by A-nus]
Can't believe it took till pg 2 for some one to post pic's :

-vs-
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:16:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nirvana:

Originally Posted By deej86:

Obviously you have never worked on cars!!! Come on guys , PLEASE never use the name chevy in the same senetence as Eh Hem,....FORD

You've obviously never worked on FORDS. My dad has worked on more than his share of Fords. Their parts ain't cheap.
They're hard to find, and the engine space is usually confined.

Try fixing AC on an Aerostar and get back to me.

Good luck trying to find a Power Steer pump for an '89 F-350 non turbo diesel.

Pay the price for the blue oval.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:38:47 PM EDT
While "Friends don't let friends drive Ford's"

is one of my favorite phrases, the GT40 is one of the very FEW Fords I'd be seen in public driving. They have a great visual appeal and the supercharged 500-HP, 351 doesn't hurt either..... BUT for the same actual $$$$$ invested, I'd much rather take a Z06 and drive it to Inidana to see Mr. Lingenfelter to work some of his Motor-Magic on the LS7 motor and then go play with anything on the road for still less total $$$$ investment over the GT40, Turbo 911 or Ferarri, Lambo etc.... and still try and keep the stock Corvette sleeper appearance..... or you could always add an intercooled Paxton blower to the Z06 motor too..... maybe a twin turbo kit ????

but that's just me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:45:07 PM EDT
Z06...
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:34:32 PM EDT
Vette hands down. This new ZO6 will compete with many cars 3,4 times its price.
For the money the performance of this car cannot be beat. Many people who talk
of the problems with Vette's have never owned one.

Duke45

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:39:12 PM EDT
The Vette wins in bang for the buck. Then again, it always had.

The GT will win around the track. Then again, you pay a premium to take the checkered.

Whats your budget?
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:47:21 PM EDT
In true AFRCOM fashion:

BUY ONE OF EACH!
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:48:33 PM EDT
From a Chevy fan, the Ford GT will win hands down. The Ford GT is a street legal race car were as the Z06 is a street car with some race track goodies on it.

Odd that I caught this thread because I just go to see a real Ford GT yesterday at my local Ford dealer (sold waiting for local buyer (doctor) to arrive with a car hauler) Dealer told me that it stickered for $159K but also said the market value is +$100K over sticker... he wouldn't reveal what the buyer paid for it.

Ford GT vs Porshe 911 Turbo would be a better comparison
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:50:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Carb850:
From a Chevy fan, the Ford GT will win hands down. The Ford GT is a street legal race car were as the Z06 is a street car with some race track goodies on it.

Odd that I caught this thread because I just go to see a real Ford GT yesterday at my local Ford dealer (sold waiting for local buyer (doctor) to arrive with a car hauler) Dealer told me that it stickered for $159K but also said the market value is +$100K over sticker... he wouldn't reveal what the buyer paid for it.

Ford GT vs Porshe 911 Turbo would be a better comparison

Actually, I think it was Car&Driver did a review and of a Ferrari, Porsche and GT (All close to the same price point) and the GT just STOMPED the other two. The reviews stated you'd have to step up to a Porsche GT, Saleen or Enzo to really compete with a GT, and all those cars are well over 2 to 3 times or more the price of the GT.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:51:16 PM EDT
The GT has been recalled now for several problems. The biggest being the suspension arms in the front suspension developed cracks. The pressed formed aluminum process wasnt working to par. They had to make new ones out of billet stock at the cost of around $8000 per car. There are other problems as well. They released the car without testing the first production units and now they are finding all sorts of problems.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:52:37 PM EDT
Got to see a silver GT pass me on Hwy 280 in Birmingham a couple of days ago. Absolutely amazing up close. I don't care which one is faster, I want the Ford GT.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:56:40 PM EDT
I remember reading somewere about a year ago a comparo of several super cars in the Ford GT price range. The Ford GT did not win the comparison but it was a force. Sadly I cannot remember the winner or even what else was in competition with it.

The GT is a sight though. Super low and seeing the engine beneath the rear hatch is ubber cool! I just don't think supercharger is ideal for such a car. It would have been better to turbo the car instead IMO.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:03:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/15/2005 7:03:19 PM EDT by Specop_007]
This ends all discussion.

Review: GT, Stradale, 911 GT3

The GT absolutely dominates the competition.

Might take a minute for the article to load, but it is available so if it doesnt load just retry it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:12:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/15/2005 7:12:54 PM EDT by FatCobra]
If you candy ass's knew anything about the GT you would know its the biggest POS being produced today. The ONLY mildly good thing about ford is a few of their trucks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:26:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Specop_007:

Might take a minute for the article to load, but it is available so if it doesnt load just retry it.

The 911 GT3 costs about 50K less, has an engine about half it's size, and is normally aspirated.

I would rather have the GT than the 'vette regarldless of cost, but I really want a 935 (911 twin turbo).
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:30:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

Originally Posted By Specop_007:

The 911 GT3 costs about 50K less, has an engine about half it's size, and is normally aspirated.

I would rather have the GT than the 'vette regarldless of cost, but I really want a 935 (911 twin turbo).

Point?
The Stradale costs about 50k more. Both get thoroughly and handily trounced by the GT.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top