Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 6/1/2010 6:20:44 AM EDT
Wife currently drives a 06 Audi A4 and we are looking at getting her something a little more roomy so we can haul our 93lb GWP around with us on trips without having to take my truck everywhere.

The Ford Edge is fitting the bill but the mileage isnt that great on them(AWD Version Required). Does anybody have one that can chime in? Ive heard they have been a good reliable vehicle for Ford and I like them as a company(also ahve a F150).

What other vehicles in that size/price range(25K and under) would you recommend?

Off road is not a requirement but snow travel is. Also needs to have a nice interior with leather/heated seats/moon or vista roof/etc.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:24:03 AM EDT
We rented one on a trip to New York last year.

Total POS to drive IMO. I felt like I was driving a giant matchbox car. Not even the good matchbox cars we had as a kid either, but the new cheapo ones that are now made in China.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:36:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2010 6:38:50 AM EDT by RDTCU]
It's not a car, just keep that in mind when it comes to handling and feel...

My mom has a FWD model, and i've driven the AWD Limited model.  They do have some good pull through all gears and handle well FOR WHAT THEY ARE... an SUV crossover.

I'm also friends with a test driver who works jointly with Michelin and Ford, and he put in a good many hours in the Edge/Mark program, mostly on stability testing.  The thing is dang near impossible to flip without a ditch around...

I recommend the AWD option, especially if you're going to be in snow.

(ETA: unless you buy used, you probably won't get the better leather seats or the vista roof or AWD for under $25k...)

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:43:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
It's not a car, just keep that in mind when it comes to handling and feel...

My mom has a FWD model, and i've driven the AWD Limited model.  They do have some good pull through all gears and handle well FOR WHAT THEY ARE... an SUV crossover.

I'm also friends with a test driver who works jointly with Michelin and Ford, and he put in a good many hours in the Edge/Mark program, mostly on stability testing.  The thing is dang near impossible to flip without a ditch around...

I recommend the AWD option, especially if you're going to be in snow.

(ETA: unless you buy used, you probably won't get the better leather seats or the vista roof or AWD for under $25k...)

Thanks for the info. Yeah we will probably get a used one as we priced out a new one yesterday at $32K for all the options we wanted new.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:44:49 AM EDT
It's on my short list.  I've got baby #2 on the way and my little WRX wagon is going to cut it anymore.  I drove one briefly and thought it rode nice.  The above poster rented his so maybe it was beat to hell.  I need to check out more options but, I'll keep my eye on the Edge.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:54:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By stretch415:

Thanks for the info. Yeah we will probably get a used one as we priced out a new one yesterday at $32K for all the options we wanted new.

32K for that thing! You've got to be freaking KIDDING ME.

You can get a well appointed 4-runner for that - they start at $27,500.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:56:18 AM EDT
My mom made it in time for the CFC thing, traded in a 97 Caravan...
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 7:25:10 AM EDT
My girlfriend has one, it has been reliable and a good vehicle for long drives. It's an '07 AWD, has close to 70k on it now. I think the drive quality is just fine for an SUV. It doesn't handle like my Mini (duh) but it's worlds better than a truck or my Jeep Cherokee.

She wants a car, not an SUV, and is looking to trade hers in on a Taurus SHO.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:36:07 PM EDT
how about the Lincoln MKX?

My dealer found a 07 loaded loaded up with 41K for $28K?

Id guess everything mechanically is the same just with better leather/detailing/etc?

I kinda think the grille is fugly though
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:59:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/1/2010 2:00:26 PM EDT by RDTCU]

Id guess everything mechanically is the same just with better leather/detailing/etc?

mechanically identical, slightly different ride, different trim, some have steering headlights, some other little things...

Seems a little high for 40k miles though

what color?

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:02:54 PM EDT
Nice rig, it's on my dad's short list when he finally gets his taco sold.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 4:30:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/2/2010 4:30:48 PM EDT by MrGoodkat]
Nice rigs.  Ford couldn't keep them on the lot during the height of the meltdown and before cash for clunkers when it was nearly impossible to sell any new cars.  Hugely successful vehicle for them.  I'd have bought one if they had 3rd row seating.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:09:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/3/2010 4:09:48 AM EDT by Sniper_Wolfe]

When I interned at Ford before, the MKX (in Creme Brulee) was the car the EVP of NA drove.

I think they are good but boring vehicles. I have only driven an MKX, and probably only a hundred miles or so. But I found it comfortable (seats weren't quite as good as I thought they should be, but it rode nice) and very functional.

ETA: Also had pretty decent acceleration for a crossover. When judging this thing you really have to remember its not a car (even though it is unibody).
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:30:54 AM EDT

mechanically identical, slightly different ride, different trim, some have steering headlights, some other little things...

what color?

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/139/picture10ht1.png

Thats what I could see too. It was loaded up though with every option. Color was black although Ive only seen them with chrome grills vs the that one with black.

One thing that I dont much care for is that wind screen that comes out when the vista roof is open. I think they could have done a nice plastic piece rather than a bug net. You can barely see it in that pictures
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 11:46:58 AM EDT
Soccer mom car
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 12:34:10 PM EDT

what color?

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/139/picture10ht1.png

Thats what I could see too. It was loaded up though with every option. Color was black although Ive only seen them with chrome grills vs the that one with black.

One thing that I dont much care for is that wind screen that comes out when the vista roof is open. I think they could have done a nice plastic piece rather than a bug net. You can barely see it in that pictures

I actually knew a guy who worked on that very part you're talking about. It's designed to eliminate Helmholtz resonance (the phenomenon responsible for the tone you hear when blowing over an open bottle). The little mesh piece does quite well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 12:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/4/2010 12:37:35 PM EDT by RDTCU]

Originally Posted By Sniper_Wolfe:

I actually knew a guy who worked on that very part you're talking about. It's designed to eliminate Helmholtz resonance (the phenomenon responsible for the tone you hear when blowing over an open bottle). The little mesh piece does quite well.

I drive a '93 Tbird, and it's the only American car i've driven/ridden in that didn't have a buffeting problem no matter where the windows were.  (mom's Edge is a standard roof model...)

Top Top