Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/21/2012 9:40:12 AM EDT

Florida Senator Marco Rubio, who many political observers think has a
strong shot to be a 2016 Presidential candidate, just finished a lengthy
interview with GQ that you can read here.
One thing that struck my interest here, as someone who often reports on
science, was Rubio’s answer when he was asked the question, "How old do
you think the Earth is.”

In response, Rubio told GQ that, "I’m not a scientist, man. I can tell
you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I
think that’s a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing
to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United
States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow.
I’m not a scientist. I don’t think I’m qualified to answer a question
like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories
out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country
where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think
parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what
science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras,
I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to answer that. It’s one of the great
mysteries.”

Now, Marco Rubio’s Republican colleague Representative Paul Broun, who sits on the House Committee on Science and Technology, recently stated that it was his belief that the Universe is only 9,000 years old.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2012/11/19/why-marco-rubio-needs-to-know-that-the-earth-is-billions-of-years-old/

I applaud Rubio for trying to make a rational argument for disconnecting his beliefs from reality, but this article sums up why the republicans are going to pay a price for courting Evangelicals for the foreseeable future. Emphasis mine. - TS
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Normally I'd be inclined to agree with a secular approach, but seeing as how Atheists are often pricks and confrontational all it does is turn me off and make me want to vote for Creationism in schools.

If Athiests want more consideration for thier beliefs first they must show the same to others.

For as long as you are confrontational people will oppose you out of spite.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Normally I'd be inclined to agree with a secular approach, but seeing as how Atheists are often pricks and confrontational all it does is turn me off and make me want to vote for Creationism in schools.

If Athiests want more consideration for thier beliefs first they must show the same to others.

That'll show'em.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've got news for you, it's not just atheists who have accepted that the Earth and the Universe is old.

But don't let that stop your spite.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You seem to be a little confrontational
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Rush is talking about how the MSN is "Romney-ing" Rubio and this story is part of it.
The MSN is going to do to Rubio what they did to Palin. I hate these people.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Florida Senator Marco Rubio, who many political observers think has a strong shot to be a 2016 Presidential candidate, just finished a lengthy interview with GQ that you can read here. One thing that struck my interest here, as someone who often reports on science, was Rubio’s answer when he was asked the question, "How old do you think the Earth is.”

In response, Rubio told GQ that, "I’m not a scientist, man. I can tell you what recorded history says, I can tell you what the Bible says, but I think that’s a dispute amongst theologians and I think it has nothing to do with the gross domestic product or economic growth of the United States. I think the age of the universe has zero to do with how our economy is going to grow. I’m not a scientist. I don’t think I’m qualified to answer a question like that. At the end of the day, I think there are multiple theories out there on how the universe was created and I think this is a country where people should have the opportunity to teach them all. I think parents should be able to teach their kids what their faith says, what science says. Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to answer that. It’s one of the great mysteries.”

Now, Marco Rubio’s Republican colleague Representative Paul Broun, who sits on the House Committee on Science and Technology, recently stated that it was his belief that the Universe is only 9,000 years old.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2012/11/19/why-marco-rubio-needs-to-know-that-the-earth-is-billions-of-years-old/

I applaud Rubio for trying to make a rational argument for disconnecting his beliefs from reality, but this article sums up why the republicans are going to pay a price for courting Evangelicals for the foreseeable future. Emphasis mine. - TS

Why?

Nobody seemed to have a problem with Obama saying a fairly similar thing when he was a Senator.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2012/11/rubio_and_obama_and_the_age_of_earth_politicians_hedge_about_whether_universe.single.html
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#7]
It was a typical Liberal minded question asked only to insult.... Plain and simple.

He answered it fine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#8]
The earth is only 5 years old I wrote the program myself. But there is a problem my program was infected by a Trojan virus called Obama.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It was a typical Liberal minded question asked only to insult.... Plain and simple.

He answered it fine.

He answered it fine, if winning a Primary and losing a General Election is your goal.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like Rubio simply said that it's not up to him to determine it, it's not something that he's concerned with and that he's keeping his personal religious beliefs to himself, and focusing on things like economic growth, prosperity, and a growing and flourishing middle class.

Isn't that what we want them to do?

CVN
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He answered it fine.

He answered it fine, if winning a Primary and losing a General Election is your goal.

Q: Senator, if one of your daughters asked you—and maybe they already have—“Daddy, did god really create the world in 6 days?,” what would you say?

A: What I've said to them is that I believe that God created the universe and that the six days in the Bible may not be six days as we understand it … it may not be 24-hour days, and that's what I believe. I know there's always a debate between those who read the Bible literally and those who don't, and I think it's a legitimate debate within the Christian community of which I'm a part. My belief is that the story that the Bible tells about God creating this magnificent Earth on which we live—that is essentially true, that is fundamentally true. Now, whether it happened exactly as we might understand it reading the text of the Bible: That, I don't presume to know.

What's wrong with that?

ETA: Oh, oops, I quoted Obama's statement by mistake. My bad. I'll leave it there anyway.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:52:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Only 9000 years old.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got news for you, it's not just atheists who have accepted that the Earth and the Universe is old.

Oh I'm Catholic, Evolution and stellar history are perfectly squared away with our beliefs and I believe in them.

However when the irreligous start off by declaring that your either with them or against them, and then shout "Fuck Religion". They are really tying my hands, I don't agree with that sentiment at all and I will side with the Flat-Earthers every single time when the choice is framed that way.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

He answered it fine.

You got an awful, bullshit answer from a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing, bullshit politician and you're satisfied.

Great job, Arfcom.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The earth is only 5 years old I wrote the program myself. But there is a problem my program was infected by a Trojan virus called Obama.

Well there you go! It's on the internet so it must be true!
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#16]
If the republicans distance themselves from evangelicals, I won't vote for them.  A regular mexican standoff.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I'm Catholic, Evolution and stellar history are perfectly squared away with our beliefs and I believe in them.

However when the irreligous start off by declaring that your either with them or against them, and then shout "Fuck Religion".
They are really tying my hands, I don't agree with that sentiment at all and I will side with the Flat-Earthers every single time when the choice is framed that way.

Got a link?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#18]
as soon as the questioner frames the question and the responder answers using the same frame of reference, the responder is toast.

while his answer isnt bad, the only strategy is to simply demolish the lefts talking points somehow on issues that are hot buttons to liberals. as soon as you join in their dialog you are owned.

if conservatives want to win in 2016, they have two paths.

first they can find a candidate with reagan or clinton type appeal

or

second create a new framework that appeals (somehow) to liberals, probably based on freedom, privacy,  and an absolute abandonment of implementing morals into law.

the correct strategy where would be to change the whole dialog and talk about something else entirely instead of addressing the talking points.

rubio will not win if nominated in 2012 and probably wont be nominated anyway.

time for conservatives to examine exactly what classical conservatism is and start thinking outside of the box.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Rush is talking about how the MSN is "Romney-ing" Rubio and this story is part of it.

The "Concerned Conservatives" here will follow right along and attack every republican that sticks their head up, then bitch and moan that no decent candidates want to run for president.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:00:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Let's see the press ask Joe Biden or John Kerry about transubstantiation.  Oh, that's right, they're Democrats, so making fun of them for their religious beliefs is off the table.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He answered it fine.

You got an awful, bullshit answer from a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing, bullshit politician and you're satisfied.

Great job, Arfcom.  

I guess its good that your opinion doesn't mean jack.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He answered it fine.

We have to stop playing stupid games.  We always end up winning stupid prizes.  What's that line from that old movie Wargames?  The only winning move is not to play.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He also said that this is all a liberal plot to convince us to abandon the evangelical base so that we could no longer win elections.  I guess Rush doesn't pay much attention to politics.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#24]

I'm not a scientist, man.

Republicans

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#25]
You know how I know religion makes people stupid?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Except your beliefs are wrong; demonstrably so. Would/should I give consideration to some who tells me the sky is pink, regardless of how hard they believe it? Of course not.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Only 9000 years old.

Are you laughing at a US Congressman?

A member of the Science and Technology Committee?

An elected representative with years of experience?

Speed

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

He answered it fine.

I agree with you

Another libturd reporter was looking for soundbites to paint Rubio in a negative light.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Republicans

And these geniuses continue to believe that the election was lost because the GOP is not conservative enough
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#31]
I am a reasonably close acquaintance with the Pope's personal planetary scientist and general science advisor.

He has expressed to me several times and in unmistakable terms that he is comfortable with the currently scientifically established estimate of the earth's age, currently sitting at about 4.5 gigayears.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He answered it fine.

Great job, Arfcom.  

I guess its good that your opinion doesn't mean jack.

Mine is worth more than yours, non-swing stater.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

He answered it fine.

I thought he did too.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Slate.com:  Rubio and Obama and the age of Earth

And here's then-Sen. Obama, D-Ill., speaking at the Compassion Forum at Messiah College in Grantham, Pa. on April 13, 2008:

Q: Senator, if one of your daughters asked you—and maybe they already have—“Daddy, did god really create the world in 6 days?,” what would you say?

A: What I've said to them is that I believe that God created the universe and that the six days in the Bible may not be six days as we understand it … it may not be 24-hour days, and that's what I believe. I know there's always a debate between those who read the Bible literally and those who don't, and I think it's a legitimate debate within the Christian community of which I'm a part. My belief is that the story that the Bible tells about God creating this magnificent Earth on which we live—that is essentially true, that is fundamentally true. Now, whether it happened exactly as we might understand it reading the text of the Bible: That, I don't presume to know.

You may resume fighting over that nice, juicy piece of bait the press has cast before you.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm more concerned with the morons who think we can tax ourselves to prosperity.

But hey, if this is the differentiator for how your want your country run, go right ahead.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He answered it fine.

That's right.  Now it's not war on women, now it's having ANY religious belief that is not agreed with.  you know what.  I have a lot of great friends and fantastic people I know who I couldn't disagree with more on the age of the earth.  Some of them are freaking genius at what they do which has nothing to do with the age of the earth.  None of that changes the fact I would trust these people with my life and my child's life.  I guess I wouldn't seek much input on the origins of the universe from them but that makes up about 0.00001% of my interaction.  The level of pettiness, and outright nastiness that is demonstrated by the enlightened ones here and out there is just sad.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Republicans

And these geniuses continue to believe that the election was lost because the GOP is not conservative enough

Being conservative doesn't mean you believe in literal Creationism, genius.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He answered it fine.

Great job, Arfcom.  

He gave his opinion and was open and accepting of others, while pointing out that this question has absolutely nothing to do with the economy, safety, or prosperity of this nation. WTH do you want?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:14:32 AM EDT
[#39]
How does one go about dating something as billions of year old when the technology used to date things is less than 50-75 years old? Isn't dating also based on theory, and actually very little fact? Hard to comprehend and in some ways it appears to take more faith than creationism does...
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He answered it fine.

I agree with you

Another libturd reporter was looking for soundbites to paint Rubio in a negative light.

I think you're right.  But there's a reason why they didn't ask him if he thought kicking puppies or stealing candy from babies was a good thing.  Because he wouldn't answer those questions in a way that would make so many people think he's retarded.  

It's easy to blame this sort of thing on the media but only if you ignore the fact that elections are won by getting the most votes.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#41]
and in 10 years when these scientists are proven wrong and the earth is believed instead to be "XXXXXXXX" years old instead???????

GR
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm with Rubio.  Who fucking cares how old the earth is?   It's a gotcha question that has nothing to do with anything.   I don't even give a shit what's on Mars.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He answered it fine.

Great job, Arfcom.  

He gave his opinion and was open and accepting of others, while pointing out that this question has absolutely nothing to do with the economy, safety, or prosperity of this nation. WTH do you want?

He wants what they all really want... the absolute personal destruction of anyone that doesn't think as they do.  I am beginning to fucking hate them with an absolute passion and I think creation "science" is retarded.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How does one go about dating something as billions of year old when the technology used to date things is less than 50-75 years old? Isn't dating also based on theory, and actually very little fact? Hard to comprehend and in some ways it appears to take more faith than creationism does...

it has to be true it goes against those who believe in the Bible.

GR
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's true to a point.  But there's a hell of a lot of numbers between 5 thousand and 5 billion.  When I see the hot woman at the grocery store and I try to guess her age, I've never guessed that she's 30,000 years old.  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Again....another example of how the conservative movement is doomed.

We are divided, they are not.

The religious zealots will not vote for those that do not tow their line....their line turns off those that dont believe it.

We are fucked because we cannot separate fiscal conservatism from religious conservatism.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He answered it fine.

Great job, Arfcom.  

An answer that can't easily be used against him.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Sounds like he answered the question by not answering the question.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He answered it fine.

I agree with you

I think you're right.  But there's a reason why they didn't ask him if he thought kicking puppies or stealing candy from babies was a good thing.  Because he wouldn't answer those questions in a way that would make so many people think he's retarded.  

It's easy to blame this sort of thing on the media but only if you ignore the fact that elections are won by getting the most votes.  

The only way he could've answered better was by not answering at all

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top