Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2006 9:36:16 PM EDT
A buddy and I teamed up this past April on the last physics project of our high school careers. So of course we had to go out with a "bang." The following is a version of the video we produced for the presentation, in which both our AR's were prominently featured. We both got A's!

youtube.com/watch?v=AC67GyFh7_w

PS. Each scene was carefully choreographed to ensure that NO ONE was ever, at any point in time, in an unsafe location or causing danger to others. (The camera was on a tripod).

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there a reason you felt the need to drag the NRA's name into that nonsense?  Sure the shooting might have been fun but you did about half a dozen things the NRA teaches people not to do.  By putting their name in the beginning it looks like the NRA is teaching people to do that type of crap.  Other than that and not wearing any safety glasses when blasting targets 20 feet away with a rifle, the video looked like kids playing with guns and having fun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Crazy kids
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is there a reason you felt the need to drag the NRA's name into that nonsense?  Sure the shooting might have been fun but you did about half a dozen things the NRA teaches people not to do.  By putting their name in the beginning it looks like the NRA is teaching people to do that type of crap.  Other than that and not wearing any safety glasses when blasting targets 20 feet away with a rifle, the video looked like kids playing with guns and having fun.

The NRA sucks anyways...........looks like you guys had a blast and as long as you were safe and no one was hurt I say good show.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#4]
hearing protection? eye protection?  good thing none of your rifle's KB'd

i particularly like the dive and roll with the AR, then having to charge via the charging handle. looks like you had fun though

surprised your school allowed something like this, most schools today do not even allow mention of guns.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
What did the physics class have to do with any of this?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't believe you guys got A's from a HS teacher for that "project"

that was some of the dumbest shit I've seen in a long time.

really, really irresponsible weapon handling.

great job  
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The NRA sucks anyways...........looks like you guys had a blast and as long as you were safe and no one was hurt I say good show.

Yeah the NRA sucks because if it wasn't for them the AW ban would still be in place.  Oh wait...the NRA made sure the AW ban died and made sure the multiple attempts to renew it died.  The NRA kicks butt at times.  It's people that sit around and do nothing but trash the most effective pro-gun organization we have that suck.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What did the physics class have to do with any of this?

+1 looks like a lot of fun though... wish I had a place to practice shooting from a moving vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

great job  

I agree with this, and have a question.

What did this have to do with physics class? Perhaps the long range shot actually brought ballistics into the equation, but all the rest was mostly irresponsible gun handling, and things that give the rest of your fellow gun owners a bad name. That video is what anti gunners expect us all to be like.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#10]
well, you sure taught that pile of sticks ten feet away a thing or two!
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I liked the watermelon
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A buddy and I teamed up this past April on the last physics project of our high school careers. So of course we had to go out with a "bang." The following is a version of the video we produced for the presentation, in which both our AR's were prominently featured. We both got A's!

PS. Each scene was carefully choreographed to ensure that NO ONE was ever, at any point in time, in an unsafe location or causing danger to others. (The camera was on a tripod).

Enjoy!

Quoted so we will still have the link after the edit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Ummmmkkaayyyy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I liked the watermelon

+1

I will give him credit on that.  That shot was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

great job  

Not oscar material in my book, but I don't think the weapons handling was all that horrible.  I wouldn't reccomend doing it at the range, but in an open field, etc. it was fine.  No eye protection?  Well, I wear sunglasses if it is sunny

All the muzzles appeared to be downrange, ear protection probably was earplugs, didn't seem all that unsafe to me.  It did seem goofy though
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#17]
You should have done a video of 1/4 mile shots at night with tracers.
That might have actually been physics class-worthy.

I guess the bumpfire part was a physics demonstration.

Actually, you should have tried bumpfiring under-water.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

great job  

Post-Columbine any high school student that makes a video like that gets an A.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

great job  

Post-Columbine any high school student that makes a video like that gets an A.

Or a visit from the cops, social services, and the FBI.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#20]
damn guys, this is stuff i figure 90% of us are / or would be guilty of if we had the open field do to so. at least it isnt bunnys at point blank range.

+10 for the SpongeBob Squarepants pinata
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:55:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Looked like a lot of fun, I know my high school physics teacher would have loved it(he did teach us how to make spud guns after all!) but I don't understand how that counts as a physics project.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Seriously.... Tell me how this has ANYTHING to do with physics

Glad you had a good time ...the video looked cool

Please explain to us WHY you got an A

Was this PART of a presentation of some sort

Other than that...it is good to see that at least some of today's younger generation has escaped the liberal indoctrination camps public school system without becoming ball-less males.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#23]
physics part of it-

firing pin hits primer, primer causes spark, spark ignites gunpower, sending bullet down barrel into target

what more do you need to know?

the kid did a PRO GUN video and got an A be happy for him

some of you guys are being a bunch of Micheal Moores.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#24]
*Sigh*

I see I'm going to have to make another rebuttal video thread...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Pretty cool...(not sure about the NRA logo on the beginning though)

Yea I have land like that and have done the watermelon thing
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:17:15 PM EDT
[#26]
No, we're acting confused cause the video has ___-all to do with physics.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
physics part of it-

firing pin hits primer, primer causes spark, spark ignites gunpower, sending bullet down barrel into target

what more do you need to know?

the kid did a PRO GUN video and got an A be happy for him

some of you guys are being a bunch of Micheal Moores.

I expected a little more scholarly reasearch for a senior highschool physics project...

Still...it was a cool video
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 12:05:55 AM EDT
[#28]
It seemed pretty safe to me.  Good vid!  I'm all for firearms safety, but some have sticks in their asses about having fun, which is what shooting is about!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I too am curious how this has anything to do with physics other than the obvious??

What was your project's purpose or design??
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
*Sigh*

I see I'm going to have to make another rebuttal video thread...

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 3:21:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I think it was pretty good. While I would love to do that kind of stuff at the range (come on guys, admit it, you would too) I'm limited to static targets and pretty much no really cool stuff.

But please tell me how the hell did you get away with it? I'd love to do gun stuff for school, but I'd get expelled in no time.

And how did you get the A?
Did you have something else and the video was supplemental?
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:05:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I liked it, only thing I didn't care for was all the "dead space" with music at the end.

Some of it had me laughing pretty good - looked like fun.  MournSword
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 4:18:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Some of y'all are being way too rough on the kid.  Granted, I too fail to see any physics lessons or properties, but hey...  The handling was not all that unsafe.  Even in the roll and fire there was no round in the chamber (watch as he comes to a 3-point kneeling stance and you'll see him charge the weapon).  Looks like they were "just going out with a bang."

[boo, hiss, booooo]

So, OP, elaborate for me how you tied this video in to a physics project, will you please?  Is it nothing more than a visual and you explained velocity and muzzle energy and impact energy?  What else accompanied the video in the presentation?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Enjoy!

It's called a holster... I realize it's a rather new concept, so you may not have heard of it yet. They are quite usefull too.

The physics: The magazine shows how the spring and ammo function, and I'm sure he explained in class how a firearms works. He may have explained what happens after the bullet leaves the barrel, and what happens when it makes contact with a target.

I'm sure there were some kids in the class who have anti-gun parents and enjoyed seeing the video and thought it looked like fun.

It wasn't a good idea to put the NRA logo in there though.

(The watermelon was pretty cool btw)
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks like you had fun. That looks like a great range.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#36]
In my opinion, these kids were being creative with their project and that deserves an A.  The weapons handling was not very bad although a holster would have been a better approach.  Kudos on the drop and roll WITHOUT a round in the chamber(that shows a safety concern addressed by a teen).  All together i thought it was a great presentation although i am wondering about the drive-by scene and it's intent.  I enjoyed seeing our youth njoying some time behind the trigger and applying that to school work.  Good job!
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Constructive criticism:

1)  Always wear shooting glasses especially because you were shooting close to your targets..

2) Hearing protection?  Ear plugs are fine if that's what you were wearing.

3) Holsters for your pistols.  I recommend G-Code Kydex.  Very good holsters for the money.

Excellent video and thanks for sharing!

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#38]
looked like a lot of fun and I'm glad to hear your teacher isn't a liberal douche that gets offended by guns.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:23:39 AM EDT
[#39]
well it kept me entertained at work for 6 minutes

get you some eye protection..  
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:34:21 AM EDT
[#40]
It looks like fun, But an A in Physics?!
What course material was actually covered in this video?
Did someone else get an A for dropping objects off a roof?
Please tell me there was more to your presentation...

Maybe the teacher was afraid NOT to give you guys an A.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Nice vid.  Myf riends and I made a similar video except it was taliban hunting.  The first shot is be layinf prone in a ghillie suit with a rifle while an Abba Dabba was praying on a rug three hndred yads away.  It was so bad I had to delete it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It looks like fun, But an A in Physics?!
snip
Maybe the teacher was afraid NOT to give you guys an A.

Quoted:
i am wondering about the drive-by scene and it's intent.snip

The wondering can cease now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I think there was physics involved, not to mention, we don't know if there was an oral part of this project.  The problem is that it was titled "Ballistics".  That is where I'm confused.  I don't claim to be a ballistics expert.  Hell I still need to ask people bullet drop questions.  Anyway, a ballistics video I would think would discuss, chart, etc. the velocity of a bullet, weight, distance, effective distance, whatever.

This video was basically a Hun Farm show of blowing stuff up.  All they needed was some tannerite and I would have felt like I was there. (all those that have been there know what I mean)  They weren't all that unsafe in my opinion.  I would have hated to be that camera though! Not to mention, it's great to hear that there is a school out there that doesn't freak out when a kid uses a gun.  This video could have been part of a news report just after these guys were picked up by the local police and the media would pronounce it as some evidence of needed gun control.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#44]
  I'm calling for insane ballistics II

or perhaps the rise and fall of sponge bob?
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
  I'm calling for insane ballistics II

or perhaps the rise and fall of sponge bob?

I'm thinking Spnge Bob + Tannerite.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 7:48:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Nice Eye and Ear Protection.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Please ask Santa for some eye protection and a holster.  

And some common sense.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Nice Eye and Ear Protection.

Thanks! I like my wallyworld earplugs too!!! The point is to stick them INSIDE your ears. Not outside so everyone can see them, but inside so they actually work

Like I stated in my original post, EVERYTHING was planned out beforehand to ensure NOTHING would be unsafe. My research paper was over 20 pages long, filled with calculations and the like. Maybe that had something to do with my A. Or maybe the fact that I never got less than an A in any high school course points toward a trend

To those of you who posted kind words, thank you. I am glad you enjoyed the video. My teacher was a West Point grad. He sure appreciated it.

To all the naysayers: Honestly, the video had nothing to do with physics, but it followed a (if I do say so myself) brilliant 15 minute presentation that was so filled with math that the class was mostly asleep by the end. I guess I wanted to wake them up Why? Because I could, and because it was fun. Btw, I went to an all-male school, so the audience was definitely receptive. Even got a couple laughs at the Spongebob part, including a few from my teacher. Please try not to spoil my fun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I will however, concede that I did not have eye protection. But have you taken a look at the AR's In Action pic thread? How many of y'all really use the glasses? After reading the other kaboom thread, however, I plan to use the glasses from now on.

And as to the holster issue, no rounds were chambered until brought to the ready. As far as I know, many ccw permit holders carry both loaded and unloaded pistols on their person.

The purpose of the vid was not to display excellent marksmanship, but physics in action. My usual range session does not consist of dumping rounds at a rotting stump 10 ft. away, but it sure was fun!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top