Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2006 5:15:33 PM EDT
Just saw a complete Cessna 172 go for $4,000.

Some days it seems everyone else is getting the good deals.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#1]
where did you see that?

and was it in pieces?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  I'd take 12 at that price.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
You get what you pay for and on an airworthiness scale $4000 might, just might get a barely airworthy ultralight...
flap
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#5]
It was disassembled with logs for the airframe, engine and prop. No damage, just stored.

I have over 300 hours in that bird, I wish I had had the bucks to buy it.

I have pics somewhere, I'll try to post them later.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone had tried to upgrade the engine with a blown 454.....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
At a loss for words. Maybe FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, why can't I find a deal like that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#9]
It was out of annual, but as I am an A&P, that really wasn't the problem. I have even done annuals on it for the owner.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have over 300 hours in that bird, I wish I had had the bucks to buy it.

Nowadays, banks will lend you money for high priced purchases such as houses, vehicles, and planes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow.  I'd be hocking everything that wasn't nailed down to buy that.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It had the 150 horse Lyc, STC'd for autogas IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Cars, bikes, planes, guns, whatever.  There are occasional deals but one not only has to be in the right place at the right time, but have the cash to do the deal.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Did it have any logbooks?
The price was so low because nobody could produce any logbooks, most likely.

Log books are not worth THAT much. All they do is verify compliance with required maintenance. For 4,000 bucks something is fishy. I spend that much on mine each year in parts alone not including engine overhaul fund.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It had the 150 horse Lyc, STC'd for autogas IIRC.

And they put spinners on the hubs...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Wow.  I'd be hocking everything that wasn't nailed down to buy that.  

I do not have the money to do this kind of project.  Had a "money man" lined up, but he backed out when I couldn't give him a bottom line price for the project.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Shit I would have traded my C-150 for that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:44:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You do not want to know what the one filthy went for.

The acft belonged to a guy in the business , and his family is liquidating all his stuff.

No shit, stuff like this is out there, but as mentioned above, unless you got the green in your back pocket, you can't get it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do not want to know what the one filthy went for.

The acft belonged to a guy in the business , and his family is liquidating all his stuff.

No shit, stuff like this is out there, but as mentioned above, unless you got the green in your back pocket, you can't get it.

Is it sold? I could have $4000.00 really fast, like tomorrow. Cash. IM me if it is still not sold.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What would it cost to reassemble it, including the fees that an A&P mechanic would charge?   And inspection costs?

Priced engines lately?    Airworthy, up to date, properly documented aircraft engines are never cheap.

Funny how a 4 cylinder Lycoming imay be a 20 grand motor if it's rebuilt and certified for flight but it's worth just 2 grand if it's rebuilt for airboat use.   Yet it may run just as reliably on the airboat.

CJ

It might, but not likely.   A runout core is worth $4000 or more before being rebuilt.    Having been involved with a number of overhauls, I  .... ah, nevermind, if you've never done it you wouldn't understand.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What would it cost to reassemble it, including the fees that an A&P mechanic would charge?   And inspection costs?

Priced engines lately?    Airworthy, up to date, properly documented aircraft engines are never cheap.

Funny how a 4 cylinder Lycoming imay be a 20 grand motor if it's rebuilt and certified for flight but it's worth just 2 grand if it's rebuilt for airboat use.   Yet it may run just as reliably on the airboat.

CJ

Yup, I know about what it would cost to put it back into service.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

CJ

About 4 months of spare time if you are already an A&P IA and want to throw in a new paint job. I already have a spare engine for my other 172. I can do and engine for under $10,000, you just have to be resourceful.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CJ

It might, but not likely.   A runout core is worth $4000 or more before being rebuilt.    Having been involved with a number of overhauls, I  .... ah, nevermind, if you've never done it you wouldn't understand.

The trick to an inexpensive overhaul is to be able to pool engine parts that are airworthy but not necessarily new from many sources. It is a heck of a lot of work, but my last engine is over 3300 hours since last overhaul and cost me around $6000 to put together including the core. I run low power every day and will get over 4000 hours on my engines.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:12:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I understand the concepts behind engine overhauls, even aircraft engine overhauls.   Never participated in an aircraft engine overhaul, but I would not be surprised at large numbers of clearance checks, huge piles of paperwork trails for traceable, certified parts,  documentation out the wazoo,  etc...so go right ahead and hit me with some details.

Maybe my estimate of an airboat motor's cost was a bit low....it was just a guess as I'm not looking to buy one.

CJ

It is not as hard as you might think to keep track of the parts. Once you get the hang of the measuring process it goes pretty fast. Most of the major work is in the reworking of major components that have to be jobbed out anyway. Cases, cranks, rods and gears are best worked by repair facilities.

For a private owner, you have to be crazy to go whole hog on an overhaul these days unless you just have money to burn. When we rebuild aircraft we will locate a low to midtime engine via ebay or trade a plane and transplant for much less than overhaul. Planerench.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#27]
You also have to look out for words like "top overhaul".  It means ONE or more of the cylinders were overhauled.

Small aircraft parts are crazy expensive, everyone is afraid of getting sued if the plane ever crashes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#28]
4k- pretty dog gone cheap.  if there are any serviceable parts on it you could probably get your cash back pretty quick.  4k is absolutely NOTHING in aviation.  i'd be skeptical- but hey, for 4k why not...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I worked General Aviation at a small FBO in Germany about 10 years ago, I enjoyed working on the C172s. Here’s one we rebuilt after a crash, I was in the middle of  replacing the engine here.

And a pic of another C172 engine R & R I did.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top