Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2006 4:27:46 AM EDT
Tryin to decide which way i wanna go. here are some pro/cons

On Board Air:

Pros -

Always have continuous air with or without an air tank.

No need to go anywhere to fill up tanks

Not as bulky as CO2 tanks

Cons -

Not as portable as CO2 tanks

Requires power from batt.

CO2 tanks

Pro -

Totally portable

Decent usage (about 40 times you can pump up 33" tire from 10-15psi

Can mount or pack easily

Completely self contained

Faster than OBA system unless tanks is near empty

Con -

Not infinite supply , but good for a day or two of trail riding

cost money to fill

Hmmm, im guessing the CO2 tanks would be fine for weekend warriors, but im looking at long term. Seems the OBA would be better approach. I have no experience with either system.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#1]
If you get a OBA system, make sure you get onw with a 100% duiy cycle or close to it. I would alos look at mounting a air tank, 5 Gallon or so. I found some that fit between the lower rocker pannel and the frame (tucked up out of the way, also easy to fab up a skid plate for. Alo I remeber you added dual batteries, which is good, but make sure you upgrade you alt. if you go OBA, they draw a lot of volts. Check out HERE for a good deal. If you decide to go Co2 tank, don't buy one of the pre-made power bottles, just go down to yuor local welding shop and get everytbing. That's what I did and is cost me about $100.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#2]
oba
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
OBA.

Get an old automotive York AC compressor and convert it.  You can pull one pretty cheap and there are rebuild kits for them on teh web.  Get a 5gal tank in your truck and go for it.  It runs when your truck runs.  Make sure to get some check valves and stuff.  I think Petersen's 4wd had an article on it last month.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OBA.

Get an old automotive York AC compressor and convert it.  You can pull one pretty cheap and there are rebuild kits for them on teh web.  Get a 5gal tank in your truck and go for it.  It runs when your truck runs.  Make sure to get some check valves and stuff.  I think Petersen's 4wd had an article on it last month.

Ive read about the york stuff. Its nice, but ive got A/C that works in my truck now. Im thinking of goin with an ARB or equiv. portable OBA system. And maybe later on mount a 5 gal. air tank underneth.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#5]
When I built my old jeep I went with a york compressor I pulled out of a volvo in a junkyard.  Cheap DIY on board air system.

Last I knew of it I thought the ARB system was really only good for providing air for the ARB lockers and didn't really make a good system for airing up your tires.  That may have changed though.

Let us know what you end up going with!
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#6]
well, here's what I've found.  If you ever go up to bigger tires you will need a kick ass air compressor to get your tires filled up inside of one day.  I run a 20# CO2 tank and it will air up one of my 36x13.5x15 Iroks in about 2 minutes going from about 8 lbs back to 25lbs.  You really need a good compressor/tank combo to get close to that (I.E. bigger York or Sandeen).

Only thing I don't like about my tank is running out on the trail.  You kinda get a feel for it though and that doesn't happen much anymore.

you can get set up with a 20# C02 system for about 1/2 of what you'll be into a decent OBA set up as well.

That being said, when I put the new engine in my Jeep I'll probably put in a York compressor.
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#7]
if you only even plan to just air back up, then go with the co2. you can always just carry a spare bottle if you are really worried about running out.

if you or your buddies break stuff on the trail, then go with the oba to have use of air tools.

i had a york laying around that i was going to use, i'm not even sure what happened to it now. i never really needed it then and need it even less nowadays.
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
you can run air tools with a CO2 tank as well.  Works pretty well actually.
Link Posted: 8/14/2006 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
you can run air tools with a CO2 tank as well.  Works pretty well actually.

yes, but when the tank is empty it stays empty.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Hmmm, im guessing the CO2 tanks would be fine for weekend warriors, but im looking at long term. Seems the OBA would be better approach. I have no experience with either system.

I think you answered your own question
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you answered your own question

I usually do. But always wanna check with outside resources (ARFCOM) and see if there is anything Im missing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#12]

A powertank is next on my list.  I looked at the better (high volume/high hp comps) and just can't see it (for me)
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Get both.

The OBA will be very usefull for long term usage.

The CO2 is more portable and is easliy stored. It is also cheaper.

If I were setting up a offroad rig, I would definitly have both.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Well the CO2 requires money to fill each time. Guy at 4x4 shop said its like 12bux. Plus ive checked the cost of a nice tank and gauges, honestly, it wasnt any cheaper than OBA.
Link Posted: 8/15/2006 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]
This is about the only OBA setup I would consider. At least it's got a 100% duty cycle (I really doubt that rating though) But it's better than the 25-33% rated ones.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 2:49:16 AM EDT
[#16]
That is the kit ive been considering
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 6:12:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for tip on the viair sale. I ordered a 450c. Seems like a real good price.

It will be going on my tow vehicle to fill tires and run air bags.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Thanks for tip on the viair sale. I ordered a 450c. Seems like a real good price.

It will be going on my tow vehicle to fill tires and run air bags.

When you get it, Post the foot print size of the compressor. I'd have to try and find a place for it under the hood. mounting it on the frame rail would be a bad thing with all the salt used in winter here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Keep in mind that CO2 is more tempurature sensitive than compressed air.  Also, I'd wager bad things would happen if you let an excessive amount of liquid CO2 get into the tire.  Not to say that CO2 is bad for a quick air-up on the trail, but IMO I'd rather go a different way.  If you're going to carry a tank, why not carry a scuba tank instead?  You can get them filled with either compressed air or nitrogen, and it's cheap (I usually pay about $4 to fill my 80cf scuba tank, the day before I play paintball).
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll be adding onboard air to my truck soon.  I'll be running a viair 550c with 2 5 gallon tanks on my frame rails.  

I've delt with C02 enough that I don't like the idea of rupturing a rupture disk and losing all my air.  That's a big problem around here since it's so hot.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Isn't the 450c a 24 volt compressor?

No way you'll keep liquid CO2 in your tire.  It would have to be at something like -150 f to stay a liquid.  Scuba tanks don't carry as much volume as a co2 tank.  The scuba tanks are just compressed air, not liquid expanding into a gas like a co2 tank.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#22]
i'm talking about in the tank.  I usually like to prechil my tanks so I can get more liquid in there but when it sits in the sun the pressure goes up fast.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i'm talking about in the tank.  I usually like to prechil my tanks so I can get more liquid in there but when it sits in the sun the pressure goes up fast.  

I did this when I was running Nitrous in my car. Would put empty tank in freezer. Im not sure bout Co2 if it works the same. Im goin with the ViAir kit once my wallet recovers from my current add-ons to the blazer. lol.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#24]
c02 is the same.  I usually put in a couple ounces first then dump it to get a nice frost on the tank then fill it.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is an INstall article and it has measurements for the compressors footpring.

Clicky on linky
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top