Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2001 12:37:24 PM EDT
I was using the spray bottle type.  Just bought a can of the aeresol type.  Only difference I noticed was they smell differently (can stinks).
Which one do you use/prefer??

Nobby out
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was using the spray bottle type.  Just bought a can of the aeresol type.  Only difference I noticed was they smell differently (can stinks).
Which one do you use/prefer??

Nobby out
View Quote

Neither. I use at this point BreakFree CLP (shake well!) in the pour bottle, sometimes decanted (sounds so lovely, doesn't it? :^) ) into the little GI bottles or oilers, depending on what gun it is that I'm CLP'ing.

I really don't like breathing any kind of chemical unless I absolutely have to, and, as soon as you have smelled it, the aerosol version is already in your body. I honestly don't know what's in CLP, but it's easier to clean with it indoors than with Hoppe's etc., due to the lack of a pungent odor from CLP. (The lack of odor keeps the wife happy, too.)

I haven't tried the Remington CLP yet, but I've seen here on the forum that it is closer to the current USGI formula- maybe others can relate their experiences with it in all its forms.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Now just exactly [b]who[/b] doesn't [b]love[/b] the smell of Hoppe's #9 ??
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I splash Hoppe's #9 on as cologne.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy CLP by the gallon from the manf. (aviall)  I pay $54 a gallon. Beats the hell out of paying for the small spray bottles.  I just pour it into my own spray bottle. Lasts about one year.  I use it extensively on my Class III guns.  Great stuff.  Wife hates the smell.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I love the smell of Hoppes #9...truly!  My wife, however, HATES IT.  I can open the bottle in the upstairs office with the door closed and window open...and she will smell it about 3 minutes later downstairs!!!

Been thinking of switching to CLP for this reason, as I HATE cleaning my guns outside (she won't let me do it in the garage either, since that's where her car (Ford Excursion Diesel) is parked.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Tastes good.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]
The USGI formula?  All I ever used in the Marine Corp was BreakFree CLP.

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#8]
A little different?  CLP in a can smells much worse than out of the bottle.  I still wonder why it smells so differently.

You guys think Hoppes #9 smells good?  It smells way too much like the brass polish we had to us in the Army.  I do not associate that smell with anything pleasant.z
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing beats Sweets 7.62 in smell [puke]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tastes good.
View Quote

[shock]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Hoppe's #9.  Nectar of the gods!

Second place is racing gasoline. Anyone remember what gas smelled like before cat converters??   MMMmmmmm!!!!  It's the LEAD!
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I buy CLP by the gallon from the manf. (aviall)  I pay $54 a gallon. Beats the hell out of paying for the small spray bottles.  I just pour it into my own spray bottle. Lasts about one year.  I use it extensively on my Class III guns.  Great stuff.  Wife hates the smell.
View Quote

RockCreek,

Where do you order that from?  Is there a website?  Sounds like a great idea.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#13]
"I knew that this would be a bad week to quit sniffing bore cleaner."  [whacko]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I love the smell of CLP in the morning...
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]
i actually have a small amount of break free left in a ten year old spray can. i will    spray a patch and mail it to anybody that wants to 'remember the old days'.
willy
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Barnes CR-10 will clean out those sinus passages!  And kill a couple million brain cells at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#18]
The only brain cells that die are the weak ones...

[smoke]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#19]
CLP makes good nut polish.[;)]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

[smoke]
View Quote

Is that what they mean when they say "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger"?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[smoke]
View Quote

Is that what they mean when they say "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger"?
View Quote

Oxymoron.....?
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey guys, how "dry" is clp like breakaway for instance.  I don't like a wet feel on the outside surface of the gun.  I've been currently using borecote which seems to be very good and dry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/25/2001 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I am so poor that I have to go to the gas station to get used motor oil for gun lube.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:06:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
BreakFree's odor changed around 7 to 8 years ago.  Most likely the removal of certain halogenated hydrocarbons to save our ozone layer.
View Quote

Yes, I noticed that it smells much worse than it used to.  Much stronger oder too.  I had been wondering why.

DrMark
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's right. A little splash behind the ears and the babes go bonkers! [:P]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I've only used the "old" BreakFree formula, which had only a mild oily smell.

The new military CLP by Royco does smell pretty rough.  Kind of a petroleum-extract + strong solvent smell.  Works well though, and is cheap.

I still prefer the old BreakFree even if its "cleaning" abilities are somewhat suspect; it's the best protectant I have yet found.  It outperformed everything else I had on hand in a salt-spray corrosion test I conducted over a couple of weeks.  The runners up were Royco CLP, Eezox, and Johnson's paste wax (!)

Link Posted: 9/26/2001 1:58:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's right. A little splash behind the ears and the babes go bonkers! [:P]
View Quote

I whole heartedly agree! My wife used to hate the smell; Now it seems to have an aphrodisiac effect on her. It's a wonder that I get any cleaning done at all! Of course, at home I now enforce that old armory rule about the minimum of 3 cleanings after each firing, before  considering any rifle acceptably clean.  

Semper Field Day-us,

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hoppe's #9.  Nectar of the gods!

Second place is racing gasoline. Anyone remember what gas smelled like before cat converters??   MMMmmmmm!!!!  It's the LEAD!
View Quote

Ah the smell of 110 octane race gas in the morning.  Got to love the smell and slight sting to the eyes.

Hoppes.....everyone likes the smell of Hoppes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top