Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2010 8:33:06 AM EDT
...small sample of the first book.
http://www.survivalblog.com/2007/09/the_checkpoint_an_excerpt_from.html
archived link http://survivalblog.com/2007/09/

"The Checkpoint" –– An Excerpt from the Novel Enemies Foreign And Domestic by Matthew Bracken

Brad was driving his red pickup with Ranya snuggling against him as they
   crossed the five mile wide I-664 James River Bridge-Tunnel from Newport News.
   They covered in only a few minutes the same water which they had sailed upon
   yesterday at a tenth of their present speed. It was a little past four PM
   on the warm Sunday afternoon when they passed back onto the northern shore
   of Suffolk County, almost within sight of the burned ruins of the Edmonds
   house. Neither one of them spoke of it, although they both stared in that
   direction.

Driving down from Poquoson they had been listening to the news on AM talk
   radio. The latest shock to hit Tidewater was an accidental police shooting.
   Either Virginia Beach police or an FBI team—it wasn’t clear which—had
   shot a man in the head at a dramatic felony traffic stop. The man, whose
   identity had not been released yet, had been pulled over in his black full-sized
   pickup truck on Laskin Road, misidentified as a possible suspect in the shooting
   of Attorney General Sanderson.

Blocked in by their patrol cars and surrounded by uniformed police and undercover
   agents, the unlucky driver had been simultaneously ordered both to "freeze!” and
   to "get out!” of his truck. The man had slowly reached for
   his seat belt buckle to comply with the order to get out, and this had been
   seen as a "suspicious movement” by one of the police or undercover
   agents who had heard him ordered to freeze.

He had been shot in the face point blank through the windshield, with either
   a police or FBI assault rifle or submachine gun, that wasn’t determined
   yet. This had happened two hours ago in broad daylight, in front of numerous
   witnesses, some of whom were already angrily calling in to the radio talk
   shows. Apparently the police and FBI undercover agents had been seen whooping
   it up and "high-fiving” over the bleeding body of the man they
   had thought was the sniper. No firearms or weapons of any kind were recovered
   from his vehicle.

As they entered Suffolk they were in a grim mood, the magic of their afternoon
   aboard Guajira already shattered. The news of the man’s death hit Ranya
   with another spiritual hammer blow. She felt personally responsible, because
   instead of pursuing her for Sanderson’s murder, the police had killed
   an innocent person instead. Her stomach knot twisted another turn, but of
   course she couldn’t share this secret pain with Brad…

In a few minutes they would arrive back at Crosby’s Boatyard in Portsmouth,
   where she had left her Yamaha the day before, and then they’d return
   once again to Brad’s sailboat. She was looking forward to wrapping
   herself around the bike and snapping it into gear, using its clutch and throttle
   to fly over the highway at three digit speed. She hoped the wind blast and
   the onrushing pavement might clear her mind of its accumulation of guilt,
   pain and fear.

"I    need to get gas,” Brad told her, and he pulled over onto the
exit lane for Hoffler Boulevard. The exit ramp cut through a break in the wall
   of pines alongside the highway, then curved off out of sight to the right
   and sloped gently downward. "Oh cr*p, what’s this?” he
   said, braking quickly.

Ranya bolted upright and buckled her seatbelt. There was a police cruiser
   on the side of the ramp just beyond the trees, and a cop was standing in
   the middle holding up both hands, blocking Brad’s truck and two cars
   in front of him.

"Checkpoint!” Ranya said. "One of the FIST checkpoints, it’s
   got to be!” The FIST program, the brainchild of Virginia Attorney General
   Eric Sanderson, was intended to stop the transportation of illegal weapons.
   Sanderson had come down to Norfolk to announce and promote the program on
   Friday, he had been shot and killed Saturday morning, and Sunday afternoon
   they had driven straight into one of his FIST checkpoints. There just seemed
   to be no escaping his reach, she thought.

Thank God she’d left her Tennyson Champion .223 sniper pistol hidden
   back on Guajira! But she still had her father's gift to deal with: the new
   .45 pistol was in her fanny pack on the floor.
continue at the link above

Three great books by Bracken, must reads IMO

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:34:37 AM EDT
I'm considering skipping straight to book 3 since it's so much more "current."  Will I be OK?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:35:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hubcityraider:

I'm considering skipping straight to book 3 since it's so much more "current."  Will I be OK?

Don't skip, there will be many references you miss. Start with the first one. All are current if you ask me.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:38:02 AM EDT
Nope - you'll die an ugly and senseless death if you do that.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:38:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/27/2010 8:39:15 AM EDT by hubcityraider]
Originally Posted By HBruns:
Nope - you'll die an ugly and senseless death if you do that.

this was my main concern. That and only spending $20 instead of $60.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:10:44 AM EDT
I passed mine on to my kids to read, they liked them too.

I gotta restart them now
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:26:43 AM EDT

That guy sure likes exclamation points!

I just typed that!

I almost didn't, but then I did!

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 9:57:27 AM EDT
He has a fourth book coming out next year early

Rebel Yell: Castigo Cay

The first Dan Kilmer novel

(This new novel about a free man in an unfree world should be available in early 2011.)

http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/excerpt19.htm
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:39:27 AM EDT
These books are so current as to be scary.  Read all three.

My "Foreign Enemies (and Traitors)" is autographed.  Yes, by the author.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:41:04 AM EDT
Almost anything a person could do with his time would be better than wasting it that way.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:45:38 AM EDT
I-664 is the Monitor Merrimack bridge tunnel across the James river. The JRB is a different crossing. What a doofus

Sounds good. When I catch up of the half dozen or so other books I haven't had time to read, I'll pick it up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:46:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LW303:
Almost anything a person could do with his time would be better than wasting it that way.

Gee it looks like once again you don't agree with everyone else. No surprise there.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:47:33 AM EDT

Sniper pistol?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:47:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SIRIUS1:

Gee it looks like once again you don't agree with everyone else. No surprise there.

The problem is the people who don't agree with me.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:53:56 AM EDT

Yeah, the 3rd book (blue cover) is its own book; you won't be lost without having read the first two. If you started with the second book (red cover) you'd kind of be in the dark without reading the first (yellow cover).

I got to talk on the phone with Matt once. Very nice guy and I enjoyed all his books.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:54:22 AM EDT
I want to read this now..

"I-664 James River Bridge-Tunnel from Newport News" That is like 5 minutes away from my place.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:55:16 AM EDT
SNIPER PISTOL
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:58:45 AM EDT

What, you just wait for several posts, see what the consensus is and post the opposite viewpoint consistently?

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:03:46 AM EDT
He's referring to a single shot .223 "pistol" with a 14" barrel like a Thompson Centerfire pistol.

AV1611 out......

Originally Posted By DRhodes:
SNIPER PISTOL

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:04:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DDiggler:

What, you just wait for several posts, see what the consensus is and post the opposite viewpoint consistently?

While I wouldn't say it would be a waste of time, that book doesn't sound like I'd enjoy it. At all.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:06:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DRhodes:
SNIPER PISTOL

Yeah...I was wondering about that one, too...
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:19:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/27/2010 11:19:19 AM EDT by AngryEwok]
Tennyson Champion .223 sniper pistol

face.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:26:07 AM EDT

Well, I have to honest... I kind of agree.  I read the first book, and about a third of the second, and then gave up.

They just weren't very well written.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:29:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By runcible:

Well, I have to honest... I kind of agree.  I read the first book, and about a third of the second, and then gave up.

I read some excerpts from the first book and found dialogue to be very contrived.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:36:24 AM EDT
I liked the first one, havent got around to the second. But I did think Unintended Consequences was an awesome read. Though it wasnt but a step up from poorly written. I just got done with House to House, excellent by the way much better to me than Lone Survivor, and in the middle of The Prince right now. Maybe I'll get the next one when Im done with it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:01:37 PM EDT

Just admit it...my witty repartee has ruined you for pedestrian fiction.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:02:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By beltfed74:

I liked the first one, havent got around to the second. But I did think Unintended Consequences was an awesome read. ...

Same here, loved UC.

I am sure some of you knocking "Enemies" have suggestions for well written (IYO) works of this type and not just criticism.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:04:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/27/2010 12:08:33 PM EDT by Furnace]
Have you not heard of Thompson/Center? While the concept of a "sniper pistol" is somewhat dubious, they do make .223 Remington pistols with 15" barrels and one could mount a scope on them. I believe the author was trying to avoid using a recognizable brand name in order to avoid lawsuits, while instead using a name that is reasonably similar to one a savvy shooter would recognize. Most manufacturers would frown on their firearms being used in "extremist" literature to assassinate politicians (publicly, at least).

Consider the real people in the firearms community that were upset upon being mentioned in "Unintended Consequences."      

The sniper pistol is a non-issue for me, but that excerpt is not particularly well written. It's possible that I could get in to it if I were to read more, but what I see is not enough to make me want to purchase the book(s).

Originally Posted By AngryEwok:

Tennyson Champion .223 sniper pistol

face.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:18:28 PM EDT
Being an AZ resident, Bracken's 3rd book (Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista) seemed like it would be a timely and interesting book.
It was okay but isn't on my favorites list.
Maybe it's just that I was really hoping it would be great, but I came away a bit disappointed.
Part of the reason why I was disappointed was the high price, also it simply isn't as polished as most novels.
I loaned it to another arfcommer so he wouldn't waste his money.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:27:20 PM EDT
I liked the second one in the series the best.  The third one was kinda....meh.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:29:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Screechjet1:

Just admit it...my witty repartee has ruined you for pedestrian fiction.

Oh, no question. At this point, if it's not the Canterbury Tales, in the original Middle English, I'm yawning after two pages.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:30:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:30:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By postban:

I liked the first one, havent got around to the second. But I did think Unintended Consequences was an awesome read. ...

Same here, loved UC.

I am sure some of you knocking "Enemies" have suggestions for well written (IYO) works of this type and not just criticism.

It's not exactly material that lends itself to quality writing/thinking.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:31:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/27/2010 3:56:28 PM EDT by TimJ]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:33:03 PM EDT
I'm going to try & get a copy eventually, but I'm kind of on a budget.

I do like UC though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:37:10 PM EDT
Yep, just finished the third one a couple months ago.

I give the OP 87 enthusiastic thumbs up.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:42:43 PM EDT
Looks interesting, thanks op.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:44:16 PM EDT

Same here, loved UC.

A "thinking man's shoot 'em up novel of modern revolution" is kind of a tall order these days.

I did find Anthony Lewis', "The Third Revolution" and "Middle America" enjoyable. Maybe not "great literature", but better than a lot of the "comic books without pictures" out there. Folks expecting a lot of action though, will be disappointed.

Neal Stephenson's novel "Interface" was also pretty interesting, though it might be a little too sci-fi for a lot of people.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 12:45:06 PM EDT
Very relevant today, somewhat cheesy and predictable plot. Not the best written but I don't regret buying all three.

I have yet to read UC.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:08:24 PM EDT
All are great.

UC is also great.

Related to the "reconquista" theme, also great is "A Well Regulated Militia", by John J. Carpenter. Unfortunately may be out of print now based on Amazon.com unavailability: A Well Regulated Militia Read the reviews on amazon for a good impression.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:17:38 PM EDT

Same here, loved UC.

A "thinking man's shoot 'em up novel of modern revolution" is kind of a tall order these days.

I did find Anthony Lewis', "The Third Revolution" and "Middle America" enjoyable. Maybe not "great literature", but better than a lot of the "comic books without pictures" out there. Folks expecting a lot of action though, will be disappointed.

Neal Stephenson's novel "Interface" was also pretty interesting, though it might be a little too sci-fi for a lot of people.

One thing is that I think the utter horror of a modern civil war is probably difficult to properly express.  Look at the paucity of third person Iraq or Afghanistan fiction.  Lots of narratives (which are great) but often written from the soldier's viewpoint.

I've thought about writing a series of short stories, and they wouldn't be pleasant, or even "bar-b-ques and Soccer Mom harem" escapism fiction.  Think Dirty War Argentina mixed with the Iran-Iraq War.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 1:23:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Screechjet1:

Same here, loved UC.

One thing is that I think the utter horror of a modern civil war is probably difficult to properly express.

This is one of the reasons I liked Lewis' books. Most of the "action" is political. There's no "rebels" blowing stuff up or assassinating evil feds.

It's almost "revolution by accident".
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:32:55 PM EDT

Same here, loved UC.

Im still trying to figure out why youre here.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:10:04 AM EDT
Im broke, anyone want to be a librarian???
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:17:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2010 5:22:53 AM EDT by ferretrodeo]
I will add it to my amazon list...

ETA: The local public library does not even list the author...I am shocked I tell you, shocked!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:23:42 AM EDT

Glad somebody else finally took_A notice of that
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:29:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/28/2010 5:31:37 AM EDT by 4Kilo12]
AUthor is good peeps...   I may attempt to get him to post in this thread

ETA:

Those shitting on the writing style probably liked the other frogman writers books talk about cheesy
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:41:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 4Kilo12:

ETA:

Those shitting on the writing style probably liked the other frogman writers books talk about cheesy

He is a site member and was interviewed on an early RADIO ARFCOM episode #2

Download here;

http://radiofreearfcom.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/radio-free-arfcom-podcast-2.mp3

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:51:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 4Kilo12:

ETA:

He is a site member and was interviewed on an early RADIO ARFCOM episode #2

Download here;

http://radiofreearfcom.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/radio-free-arfcom-podcast-2.mp3

havent seen him post in a while he go by the same name he uses on all the other forums
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:18:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
These books are so current as to be scary.  Read all three.

My "Foreign Enemies (and Traitors)" is autographed.  Yes, by the author.

Did he put any exclamation points behind his name?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:22:31 AM EDT
I couldn't put the book down, and let a few other friends read it after I was done!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top