Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/21/2015 8:07:01 AM EST
What did you tip the movers? If you did at all?

Garage delivery, 900lbs if it matters.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:16:38 AM EST
The only safe I've ever had moved was when they delivered and installed the wrong one. They called me a couple days later and had to come swap it out. They fucked up my hardwood floors and a door jamb or two

I didn't tip them anything.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:17:41 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By redfish86:
The only safe I've ever had moved was when they delivered and installed the wrong one. They called me a couple days later and had to come swap it out. They fucked up my hardwood floors and a door jamb or two

View Quote

What the actual fuck??
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:18:38 AM EST
i helped the guy when he delivered it, with pvc pipe under neath. it was a liberty fatboy just so you know the size.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:25:00 AM EST
Father in law brought a forklift and a flatbed.. price was free but we included dinner.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:25:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2015 8:26:44 AM EST by TexasOutdoorsman]
bought a twelve pack and called a couple buddies and we moved it in ourselves....
48 gun remington branded liberty made safe - empty weight, 710 lbs.

ETA: we were looking at buying from a cothrons showroom here in town, and they offered delivery and installation....the delivery would have been free if purchased there, and the installation was, iirc, $200........if we had gone that way, I'd have not tipped anything after paying for the installation.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:34:02 AM EST
I moved it by myself using some ingenuity. It sucked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:35:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By Torque556:
I moved it by myself using some ingenuity. It sucked.
View Quote

650 lb Liberty here. Rock it on to a bottom edge, drop onto 1st PVC pipe, roll onto 5 more, roll to destination. Stairs? F That.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:36:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2015 8:37:10 AM EST by Mr_Psmith]
I hired professional safe movers (as in, that's all they do) and they did a great job taking care of my hardwood floors and wall corners. They got the thing down the stairs no problem.

I had no idea what to tip them, so I tipped the two guys each $20. *shrug*
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:37:41 AM EST
Since my Amsec gun safe weighs a whopping 1250 pounds empty the only people that I will allow to move it it will be from a professional safe dealer.
End of discussion.
When mine was brought in to my home there was not marring of floors or door jambs or wall paint.
These two guys had equipment and made the job look easy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:38:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2015 8:39:40 AM EST by Bedouin2W]
~750lbs, they had to go down 3 steps, $60 tip.

ETA- and in before someone calls me a cheap ass.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:39:30 AM EST
Took us 8 guys and a few cases of beer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:43:09 AM EST
1,700 lb safe...the door alone weighs over 500 lbs.

No I didn't tip them, their rate was $200 to move it and that's what I paid them. Next time, I'll use their methods and a couple of friends and do it myself.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:48:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By bowbender7:

What the actual fuck??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bowbender7:

What the actual fuck??

I bought a safe. They delivered it. It was a tan color instead of black. I asked the guys 3 times if they were sure they brought the right one. "Yup". I shrugged it off as they just grabbed a tan one instead of a black one. I really don't care what color it is so I let it go.

Apparently, this one was quite a bit more $$$$ than the one I paid for. When the guy from the safe store called and explained it, I told them to come swap it out.

I wasn't anticipating the damage obviously. The guy did a bang up job (no pun) getting the first one in.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:51:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2015 8:56:52 AM EST by Bladeswitcher]
I hired "professional movers" to move a 3,300-pound TL-30 (I shit you not, a 1.5 ton safe). The entire thing was a fucking disaster. The only thing that prevented somebody getting killed was that I stopped them from doing something really stupid and told them to come back with the right tools. When they finally got the safe more-or-less in place the job was a week late and nearly twice over the estimated budget. I didn't tip them shit and told them to leave without dropping the thing off of blocks. I hired my locksmith to do the final positioning. I should have hired the locksmith to do the job in the first place but he was on vacation when I needed it moved.

here's a pic, because it did happen . . .

ETA: This safe cost $450 through a government surplus auction . . . .
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:10:20 AM EST
Just moved mine in a couple weeks ago. TSC Black Friday special. I rented an appliance dolly, gave a buddy $20 and some beer, and nearly killed both of us. It was fun. Dolly + PVC made it work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:17:59 AM EST

View Quote

Well, they were certainly ill-prepared, weren't they?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:18:33 AM EST
Why tip them if you are already paying them to move the safe? I paid for delivery and installation, they got paid, everyone was happy. If I had not represented the difficulty of the installation accurately and they encountered more difficulty than anticipated but overcame it like champs I may consider a tip but only then. If the movers are professional and experienced they will present you with a form to fill out describing every step (as in stair), every turn, the door widths, etc. Then they quote the delivery accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:20:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2015 9:27:40 AM EST by SteelonSteel]
Mine is 800 lbs. When I had help I paid for meals and or beer.

I moved it by myself the last time with some MacGuyver rigging.

When I bought it I had 4 friends help out getting it in the house from the bed of a pick up. Tight hallway, removed a door. Used a HD handcart and slid it on carboard in the tight hallway to make a turn that couldn't be done on the cart. IIRC we used some dowel rollers for a bit too.

Getting it out I knocked the front door handle and loosened some door hinges that were in with rather short screws. Landlord was my helper that time and we decided it was an easy fix with longer security screws and he fixed it. I chipped the epoxy filler/paint at a rear corner that fills in a weld line. Saved the chip to super glue back in place. Those nice smooth round corners are filler.

Offloading at a new temp place I had 2 friends help getting it off the truck. Used a HD dolly, hardest part was going from the horizontal to the vertical with just 3 men.

Last move was the MacGuyver rigging. I bought some of those super heavy duty ratchet straps that are used on tractor trailer loads. The basement had large post and beam members 12x10" beams and 14" round natural posts. I ratcheted the safe over from standing to suspended in mid air from the 12x10, lowered it on the HD dolly and Bob's your uncle. Wheeled it out the door, and ratcheted it off the dolly, up a ramp onto a trailer. New place I slid it off the trailer onto the same dolly and rolled it right in the basement. I ratcheted it into the vertical here too but had a mishap and popped 2 wheels off the dolly. Still need to buy two replacement swivel castor wheels. Drilling the concrete was the hard part.

I only did it myself the last time out of desperation as I needed to vacate the rental house on time and no one was available.

One of my friends that I worked with that helped me offlload to the rental house called me crazy for tackling it alone. Meh, No stairs involved in either place and I have had a fair amount of experience with heavy stuff and thinking the whole process through before starting.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:20:37 AM EST
I'm having a 1600lb 72"x36"x24" safe moved next week. The safe movers are charging me $350 for what will take them about 1hr to move and re-bolt to the floor.

Worth every penny, and I ain't tipping them shit!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:26:10 AM EST
That weight of a safe I would gladly pay the $350!

I was at my limits with my safe with what I had available.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:29:08 AM EST
I'm looking at new safes now and it will be going into the basement, so I am going to pay to have it brought all the way in.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:31:01 AM EST
I bought a new safe from an authorized dealer. Delivery was included in the price. They scratched a plate in the center of the spokes. I did not tip, nor was I aware that tipping was customary.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 9:36:06 AM EST
I moved mine myself using an appliance dolly. Put the dolly on one side of the safe, and push from the other toward the top of the safe. EZPZ unless there are stairs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:00:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By grywlf52:
What did you tip the movers? If you did at all?

Garage delivery, 900lbs if it matters.
View Quote

I had a 1500 lb safe delivered and put in my garage. I had planned on giving them $20 each.

Then, they wouldn't take the legs off, told me I was on my own. They didn't get the tip.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:03:36 AM EST
One of my biggest fears is buying a big ass safe and having to move it in (when I eventually buy a house)
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:20:14 AM EST
650 lb safe in basement. Not sure exactly what the bill was...think about $200. Took them 20minutes. Was just a guy and his buddie who specialize in moving safes as a side business. I didn't pay (tip) them any extra.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:24:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/21/2015 10:28:40 AM EST by wildearp]
The movers were the manufacturer. Install was included. My payment for the safe was their tip.

The excellent thing is I learned how they did it, so the next two times I needed to move, it was a piece of cake.

(2250lbs)

I moved a 950 pound safe on a hand truck. My tip was beer. I suggest beer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:27:59 AM EST
Originally Posted By Proto3:
One of my biggest fears is buying a big ass safe and having to move it in (when I eventually buy a house)
View Quote

Buy two smaller safes. You can easily resell them and get the safe you want when you buy your house.
Top Top